A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: where to go after 3DFA?

where to go after 3DFA?

Can anyone out there recommend where to go after 3DFA? (Or just for a change!)

I've tried later versions of Flash and found them really complicated and as far as I could make out no comparable 3D operation.

Grateful for any suggestions.

LMP

What is your budget?

What is your budget?

Who are your clients?

What are you doing that you need 3-D?

What programming language do you know and feel comfortable working, and is Action Script one of them?

Are you an artist that wants to make websites?

Are you going to be making backend connections?

Are you animating using a scripting tool?

Will you be animating using random operators?

Will you be importing 3-D files?

Do you want to export to other file formats. If so, would it be Quicktime?

Will you be creating product spinners?

Do you mind if the 3-D client player is branded by the manufacturer?

Do you want to able to use this application on a Linux / Mac box?

Is having a support forum necessary?

Is this a job or a hobby?

So many questions that are necessary to answer in order to steer you onto the right path. It is easy to type out one product, it is quite another to have you ask yourself these questions and then lead you through products that meet your needs. Everyone's needs are different (so they think). All clients needs are different. Not one product can do all things.

Ask yourself, "What are the key features I want." Then ask yourself will those same feautre be key features 3 years from now.

Rick
    Last edited by rblanc; 09-15-2004 at 01:11 PM.

Thanks for answering Rick

I'm a professional artist wanting to make movies for my own use on an art site.

I'm learning stuff as fast as I can. E.g. I need to know more about Action script.

Your list was pretty long and not a bit intimidating : ) but many thanks for taking the time to put it all down.

I just wondered if there were any other programmes out there comparable to 3DFA.

Best

Linda

I do short animations for different things, and I tend to use a combination of programs. You won't find a better 3d animation package at a better price than anim8or, wax is good for mixing video clips, 3dfa is good for getting it all into a flash format(or for doing text effects<-- I've used it for television work on numerous occasions), and of course you'll need a good photo editor, I recommend photoshop(I'm still using 6.0), but if in a financial pinch GIMP will do quite nicely, and is even better than PS in certain areas(especially when animating...).......

-J

Hello zoranvedek
    And...Thanks. Appreciate you putting down the info.
    LMP