A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: massive files- whats goin on?

massive files- whats goin on?

Hello Everyone!

I have been creating movies with koolmoves for a couple of years now, but recently i have noticed some very strange behavior.

i exported a short three frame koolmoves movie, with no sound, or images. and i was astonished to read the filesize as 1.48 meg!

that would mean that those three frames contained 1.48 meg of vectors!!!

i activated swf compression from the export options dialog, and i reduced the file size to around 600k, but that is still an awfull lot for a bunch of vectors.

Is this a bug in the program, or is their somthing that makes your vectors get really big really fast?

i would really appriciate any help you can give on this issue,

-Erona Rezeel-

Check the number of shapes you have in the file. I have created a meg or so of nothing but vectors before by importing a vectorized image. It had something like 3,000 shapes.

ah, that explins at least some of it, one of the vectors is a very large group of shapes,

however when i remove the big grop from the animation, the animation is reduced to 36k.

and a vertion of the animation with only the group is still over one meg.

my new question is this: why is the group so much bigger wehn placed into a movie than it is when it is stored in a file on its own? even if it is the only shape in the movie it is inserted into!

thanks for your help, regards:
    Erona Rezeel

UPDATE

Okay, i removed alot of the superflous shapes from the big group [at some points replacing over a hundred shapes with one] and then imported it back into the movie. it is now much smaller, [more than half] allthough this is still pretty big for a scene in a big flash movie.

i am either going to have to shave more shapes off, or accept that this file will have to be big. whatever i decide, your help has certainly pointed me in the right direction. thanks guys, specifically johnie for your help.

regards,
    Erona Rezeel.

Another thing you can try is to turn the nonmorphing shapes to Symbols. That will shave even more off.

Also if it doesn't have to morph you might consider judicius use of optimized bitmapped graphics for backgrounds and such. Make sure you optimize the graphics though.

Super Moderator
    There is no advantage in converting vector shapes to symbols if they don't change from frame to frame.