A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Site design layout questions... Any ideas

Site design layout questions... Any ideas

Ok i have a site i am making for my church. Here is what i have so far. I have designed one page in flash. I will call it home. I have buttons on it that i want to go to other pages that have also been designed in flash, currently each button uses the geturl command and opens another html page that has the swf movie for that department in it. Is this the best way to do this?

HERE is my layout:
    Home
    - Childrens Church
    - Womens Minestry
    - Youth

Each page is totally differnt not even the same background. Dont ask why, that is just they way they wanted it. Only thing the same on each page is a link back to the home page. I am new to flash just started using it about a month ago, i searched the forum, but found 255 different things and was unable to get the answers i was looking for. Any help would be great.

Flash Fan, Non-Blonde
    It's ok as long as each individual flash movie is a small file size (i.e not exceeding 100 kb) otherwise your online visitors will grow tired of waiting for each page to load.

If the individual pages are heavy, you may consider revamping the design to thin them out.

Best of luck!

BaileyBoy

I saw that not many sites that i vist do it this way. That are designed all flash that is. Most of them somehow have the new flash pages load ontop or replace the current movie. How is this done?

Flash Fan, Non-Blonde
    To make a flash website all one movie as opposed to clicking to another page is very simple. You have your HOME animation play until you'd like it to stop (add a stop();actionscript to the frame you want it to stop at). Then actionscript your buttons to:

on (press) {
    gotoAndPlay(?);
    }

Change the "?" to the frame number you'd like the movie to jump to. i.e. frame #25 starts the WOMEN'S MINISTRY section of your website, etc., etc.

BB

I dont follow. I have three swf files so far. One is my home page. One is my Youth page and another is my Womens Ministrie page. On the home page i have links that link to the youth.html page, but i would like it to link to the youth.swf file and have it replace the home swf file. How is this done?

Flash Fan, Non-Blonde
    try this: using the same code for getURL, choose filename.swf instead of pagename.html - that'll work, but your website will stretch to the size of the viewers' window.

you asked how other people do it - not how you want to do it.

Best of luck. BB

Well i would like for the swf to be page it opens to be the same size as i designed it. How do i do this.

Flash Fan, Non-Blonde
    to keep the swf size consistant in the browser window you have to embed the swf into an HTML page. that's why your website should be one movie, not four.