A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Using .ai images

Using .ai images

Hi all,
    I am using the Photo Slideshow in FlashMX (the Modern Photoslideshow).
    I imported a .ai map that I made with Adobe Illustrator of central america to test it out.
    This I made with small .ai maps of the different countries.

The plan is that when the user mouses over the country it will show a bit of info on that country.
    My question is am I doing this right using central america as a complete image? Should I just have each country as a symbol instead? When I imported the .ai of the map it lost some of the colors as well maybe because it was imported with layers. Is that right?
    I would be very greatful if someone can please give me a nod in the right direction as to the best way to do this. Thank you very much, Best Regards, Ed
    Last edited by flashnewnewbie; 09-15-2004 at 01:18 PM.

Left-Handed Flash User mickbrit55's Avatar
    Hiya

Personally, I would flatten the whole image in Illustrator and just import it as one graphic. I have done a similar map in a video tutorial. Then I just made invisible buttons over each country and used those to link to the information.

Mick

maps....

Thanks a lot for the reply Mick, is the video tutorial on flashkit?
    If you suggest using just one image then maybe I should just use a jpg? This may be a special case as it is for a presentation so size isn't really the issue...what do you think? I have heard that it isn't good to use jpgs though(although they are used in the Photo Slideshow in FlashMX).
    It is certainly easier for me as I don't have to mess around trying to make borders fit!!
    Thanks again

Hiya

You can use jpegs, no problem. If possible make the image a png or gif is you want to cut down on file size.

Import the image and place it on the stage. Zoom in on one of the areas where you want to put the invisible button. On a new layer, trace around the outline of the country using the pencil tool set at 1px. Then fill the center with a color and delete the outline. Hit F8 to turn your fill into a symbol and select "Button". Drag the fill to the hit state and there you have it. Do the same for each country. Now you can place a gotoAndStop() on the invisible button to go to the info part.

Mick

Testing

Thanks a lot Mick, I have tried to follow your instructions to the letter having imported a jpg image to the stage which has all the countries>

On a new layer, trace around the outline of the country using the pencil tool set at 1px. >Locked the jpg layer. Very loosely traced the country (just done it for one country at the moment as testing)

Fill the center with a color and delete the outline> I filled the centre with a color deleted the outline.

Hit F8 to turn your fill into a symbol and select "Button" >No worries there, button CostaRica created

Drag the fill to the hit state> The fill is now in Hit Over Down

Do the same for each country> (just done it for one country at the moment with one button created that's it as yet)

Now you can place a gotoAndStop() on the invisible button to go to the info part > This is where I loose you, what do you mean by invisible button? Where do I put the invisble button in and the actionscript?

Could I maybe put info on the down state of the CostaRica button now created? I don't think I get the concept quite yet

Cheers Mick for any explanation
    Last edited by flashnewnewbie; 09-15-2004 at 01:17 PM.

Hiya

OK, you only want the fill in the HIT state. Delete it from the OVER and DOWN states. When you do that and return to Scene 1 - the main timeline - it will show up as a light blue in the editor. If you go into TEST MOVIE it doesn't show up at all, but if you mouse over the area the mouse will change to the hand tool - hence the term "invisible".

Select the button on the stage, bring up the actions panel in expert mode, and then add your code. Something like :

code:
    on(release) {
    gotoAndStop{10);
    }

Mick

Thanks a lot Mick that works great! (sorry about the time taken to reply!)

Flash Fan, Non-Blonde
    In newer versions of Illustrator: file>export>export as .swf - then import the swf you just made into flash - you won't lose any elements, colors, transparencies, or gradients.

I grew some gray hairs before I learned this trick.

Thanks for the advice BaileyBoy