A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: logo redesign

Originally posted by tinonetic
    ummm... who's tracy?

http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...hreadid=584414

i got bored ...

Ok, right now it doesn't even look like you are trying. You made some poor letters in flash and now you are just adding things to complicate it. First of all, don't use those letters. They are formed badly and don't work well. Second, remember the KISS rule, a logo shouldn't have too much in it, and should work in black and white just as successfully as its color version. Step away from the computer and draw.

If you want some other opinions, go to www.howdesign.com/forum and post your logo. Plenty of pros there.
    It must be obvious day at camp stupid

Originally posted by sk8Krog
    Step away from the computer and draw!!!
    Last edited by nayades; 09-23-2004 at 11:30 AM.

i am tryin,i am. It's just that there's tonnes of other "non-design-related" stuff i have to do. I get to do it when I've got free time.

the tino text is bad,i agree. real urrrrrgly.

I cant help the colors,though. those are corporate colors, they bind together with the marketing aspect of the company. I cant change those! that's like messin around with the strategists. all i can do is play arounnd with them and make them blend nicely.

I am drawing,by the way. It's actually better that way...thanx!
    I'll post whatever I would've managed to do

thanx,pple
    Last edited by tinonetic; 09-24-2004 at 04:57 AM.

so you guys r advocating for real fonts and not the
    shapes i tried to whip up.

can u get bored again,tayjax?

i've used real fonts and made the 'curves' real curves.
    howz that?
    Attached Images Attached Images

are there any current logos that you like? (ie BP, cingular, IBM, apple etc.)

maybe check this out
    logo trends

I can't see the CSU (or is it CSV to other people?) very well on your last logo.

If I were you, I would get rid of the CSU design and come up with a different set of fonts or design of the letters.

Think simplicity. Think IKEA or ****.

edit: did not know that French Connection UK is censored! Anyway the logo design I am refering to is http://perso.wanadoo.fr/imagesdeparf...N_****2001.JPG
    Last edited by tonytryout; 09-25-2004 at 11:56 AM.

Yes, nayades I am a girl, well last time i checked i was

tino, granted, im new at doing logos, as you can see in my thread that nayades posted and helped ALOT, for one thing, the logos that you keep presenting, the black on black/dark colors.... thats very difficult to read... try to avoid that, if you want stuff to overlap and if you HAVE to, stick with the colors for the CSU(CSV) but try different shades/tones. everyone posted great feedback for you, but you keep going back to the same "idea", like tonytryout says, think simplicity. if your having a hard time, buy some books on logos, get inspiration, i did and it helped tremendously plus the help of everyone on here. i would def use different fonts, so far the ones that you have shown, they remind me of the movie "aliens" and i dont think thats wut the company wants to present. maybe even try using illustrator instead of flash b/c you have a ton of "freedom" with the possibilites that you can do...

Tracy

Originally posted by tonytryout

Think simplicity. Think IKEA or ****.

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/imagesdeparf...N_****2001.JPG

lol.

tony. link not working.

jesus! Damn Starkey!

replace **** with f c u k (without spaces) in that order.

I agree with tracey -- you should look at other logos and take it from there rather than other way around.

Originally posted by Tracy981

the logos that you keep presenting, the black on black/dark colors.... thats very difficult to read... try to avoid that, if you want stuff to overlap and if you HAVE to, stick with the colors for the CSU(CSV) but try different shades/tones.
    But they're big... do u mean for the text below the CSU text?
    or maybe you can explain to me what u mean by difficult.
    I'll try other shades,though.
    I guess the U looks like a V (it's a U,by the way. Its a proper font called Abbess)

everyone posted great feedback for you, but you keep going back to the same "idea", like tonytryout says, think simplicity. if your having a hard time, buy some books on logos, get inspiration, i did and it helped tremendously plus the help of everyone on here. i would def use different fonts, so far the ones that you have shown, they remind me of the movie "aliens" and i dont think thats wut the company wants to present. maybe even try using illustrator instead of flash b/c you have a ton of "freedom" with the possibilites that you can do...

Tracy
    hadnt read tony's post. i think i'll have to go to some retreat to cleanse maself from this logo. I've been given great links, will sit down read 'n' DRAW!!! I havent used illustrator b4, I'll try it anyway. but i think in the hands of a good artist,it dosnt really matter what program u use. I'm not good yet, gettin there....
    slowly...

Originally posted by tonytryout
    edit: did not know that French Connection UK is censored! Anyway the logo design I am refering to is http://perso.wanadoo.fr/imagesdeparf...N_****2001.JPG
    [/B]
    it's not opening. keeps taking me here:
    http://www.wanadoo.fr/bin/frame2.cgi...h.ke.voila.fr/

Originally posted by Astroflux
    are there any current logos that you like? (ie BP, cingular, IBM, apple etc.)

maybe check this out
    logo trends
    gr8t link,thanx!

i've used real fonts and made the 'curves' real curves.
    howz that?
    Although I am more a Project Manager and Marketing person, I do some design. I will tell you that the current direction for a brand is way to complex, the colors will not show well in all forms of media and the fonts will show in 5 years when it was created. You need to design something simple and quickly identifiable that will stand in time.

thanks for the input,skillet. There's still a big BUT... i cant do anything about the corporate colors. If ur a marketing person, I'm sure u should have an idea abt corporate identity and branding (as u nicely put it). Those colors come a long way, changing them is beyond my league and that's that.

you could help me out with shades and color arrangements (like where should blue,black or green go)...

I'm still persuing simplicty and it seems more difficult than it implies. I've managed to come up with these:

i still appreciate all your contributions! I've gotten rid of the other designs. I bet some o'u r happy to see proper fonts. I still need a symbol,though...
    what do u think,now?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tinonetic; 10-04-2004 at 07:20 AM.

better, but still don't understand why your images are of such a poor quality.
    one thing to know is that a logo should be vector. so you can scale it without loosing quality. vectors, in case you don't know is what flash uses. i'm sure you've got a copy of flash. so translate this two gif images to flash and trace them, using the line tool, the fill tool, you could even use the gradient tool (ok you could but you shouldn't ) and then present them in a bigger format.

however you're heading in a decent direction now. keep workin.

ohh, dont mind the quality (blame gif's flippin' so called 'lossless compression algorithm!!').
    did that 4 faster download . I actually used flash to draw all that, and i luv it for the same reason...it's vector based!

...i'll soon be teethin', then maybe i'll start walking, then maybe talkin', and finally... "oh my gosh, are those the girls we know?"
    Last edited by tinonetic; 10-04-2004 at 08:48 AM.

ohh, dont mind the quality (blame gif's flippin' so called 'lossless compression algorithm!!').
    did that 4 faster download . I actually used flash to draw all that, and i luv it for the same reason...it's vector based!

...i'll soon be teethin', then maybe i'll start talking, then maybe talkin', and finally... "oh my gosh, are those the girls we know?"
    I would agree.

As to keeping the colors and fonts for the brand, the brand is a bad brand and like anything in life or business, change happens.
    Keeping a bad brand is like keep a bad website, brochure, or sales tactic that is not working. It is better to not have one than have bad "PR". Who are the companies top 5 competitors? Get us the brand/logo's of that and lets see how out of date this company is showing they might be.

I would highly suggest coming up with a new logo that incorporates a little bit of the old. Then present the idea to slowly start integrating the new brand and get customer feed back on it. Brand Identity is big, but what most people miss is that Customer Equity should never be confused with Brand Equity. There are many large companies that have altered or changed their branding as they evolve and learn more. I think your latest examples are good transitions to a new look. Keep at it.