A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Contest Idea

Contest Idea

Here's an idea I had, I'm trying to guage people's interest on it though. I want to have a flash game contest for the best simple addicting game. You may use games you have already developed as long as you didn't grant exclusive rights to another party. Winner would get $1,500 cash, second place - $300, third place - $200. The catch is all submissions must have our logo integrated into the game with any connections to you or your own website removed. We would be allowed to put all entries regardless of whether your entry won on our website for people to play. If people are interested enough in this idea then I will start getting it ready, or if not, then let me know too. Awaiting your responses.

what is your site?
    >flashl!ght<
    All the normal names were taken.
    Ron Paul was right.

I just purchased the domain www.freegames.net. What is currently there won't be there for long. You may see what the site will look like here:
    http://67.18.119.34/

Hmmm perhaps I'm being cynical ( It's been known ) but all the games will be rebranded for your site yeah ?
    And I'm guessing that you're not going to be too upset if these games are leeched and spread around the web, thereby giving your site a lot of exposure.

So say you get 10 entries, you'll have got 10 re-branded games ( And 7 of the authors won't have got a thing, not even a credit in their own games ) for $2000, or $200 a game in effect.

Little bit cheeky mate

Squize.

the thud of the body rabbitkiller's Avatar
    Cash prize, ha...
    So I develop the game and give it to you for a chance to win the money. If you are trying to create content for your website with that, it won't work - contest games are kinda simple and unpolished, unless we're talking about 1.5 month long contest. I'm not sure if I want to spend 1.5 month for a "chance" to win some money.
    "best simple addicting game" so the winner is the most addictive game, It'll be hard for developers, cause you don't know if your game is addictive or not, untill it's finished and polished and you test it alot.
    It sounds big, and I'm kinda afraid to spend alotof time and effort for nothing. What if I dont't win? I get absolutely nothing? Not even a credit for my game?
    Last edited by rabbitkiller; 09-22-2004 at 05:13 PM.
    world[i] = new world();

Originally posted by Squize
    Hmmm perhaps I'm being cynical ( It's been known ) but all the games will be rebranded for your site yeah ?
    And I'm guessing that you're not going to be too upset if these games are leeched and spread around the web, thereby giving your site a lot of exposure.

So say you get 10 entries, you'll have got 10 re-branded games ( And 7 of the authors won't have got a thing, not even a credit in their own games ) for $2000, or $200 a game in effect.

Little bit cheeky mate

Squize.
    This is correct. Although I don't see what would be so bad about $200 a game. I'm not asking for complicated games or even necessarily newly created games. I've found several places that are willing to rebrand games with my logo for $100-$150. And yes, I would be upset if the games were leeched. The games will not be available for download and will be protected with my .htaccess file. I'm not trying to say that I'm not going to get any thing out of this, but the winning authors would too.

I wasn't sure how people would react to something like this which is why I'm posting it here in the first place.....

Originally posted by rabbitkiller
    Cash prize, ha...
    So I develop the game and give it to you for a chance to win the money. If you are trying to create content for your website with that, it won't work - contest games are kinda simple and unpolished, unless we're talking about 1.5 month long contest. I'm not sure if I want to spend 1.5 month for a "chance" to win some money.
    "best simple addicting game" so the winner is the most addictive game, It'll be hard for developers, cause you don't know if your game is addictive or not, untill it's finished and polished and you test it alot.
    It sounds big, and I'm kinda afraid to spend alotof time and effort for nothing. What if I dont't win? I get absolutely nothing? Not even a credit for my game?
    I wouldn't have a problem posting a link back to the author's website from the game page, I just wouldn't want it branded into the game.

You may use existing games if you'd like and people would be allowed as many entries as they like.

Games would be graded on a number of factors including originality, graphics, addictiveness, and I'm sure a couple of other things. Again, I'm just running this by people to see what they think. Thanks for your responses.

"This is correct. Although I don't see what would be so bad about $200 a game."

Yeah, but it's not, it's what you're paying ( If you get 10 people going for it that is ).

"I've found several places that are willing to rebrand games with my logo for $100-$150"

Really ??? Wow, that is stupidly cheap. Personally speaking as a developer, I really can't see how it's worth their while to do it for so little.

"And yes, I would be upset if the games were leeched. The games will not be available for download and will be protected with my .htaccess file. I'm not trying to say that I'm not going to get any thing out of this, but the winning authors would too."

That's good to hear, and I do really admire your honesty.
    Well good luck with it all, hopefully you'll get a lot of takers, and if someone was confident they would win it really would be worth their while.

Still think it's cheeky, but at least you're upfront about it

Squize.

[2 cents]
    In my case, i'm trying to get known, learn more, get contacts, and maybe make a little money. I know its not much for more advanced programmers, who've been in the business for awhile, but those just starting out, that sounds like alot of money along with the other bonuses it will give us. Sorry to contradict you squize, but thats how i see it

Ps. Hopefully i'll get quite well known with my next project, which will potentially be purchased by the canadian government

[/2 cents]

Yeah, I have found some good deals, but I've scoured the web looking for the best deals. Most of those that I've found actually include a high score system with the games. But anyways, unless some more people reply saying "do the contest" soon then I probably will just spend the money on those games I was going to in the first place. Thanks again.

Originally posted by Phlook
    [2 cents]
    In my case, i'm trying to get known, learn more, get contacts, and maybe make a little money. I know its not much for more advanced programmers, who've been in the business for awhile, but those just starting out, that sounds like alot of money along with the other bonuses it will give us. Sorry to contradict you squize, but thats how i see it

Ps. Hopefully i'll get quite well known with my next project, which will potentially be purchased by the canadian government

[/2 cents]
    Well put and good luck on your project.

Originally posted by Phlook
    [2 cents]
    In my case, i'm trying to get known, learn more, get contacts, and maybe make a little money.
    The thing is, your not going to get known if a game that you recieved $1300 for doesnt say you made it. Peopl will think this guys site made it, and also, if you dont get a prize, you'll be stuck with a game belonging to this site, and you wont recieve a penny.
    "wen i found my gerbil dead my other gerbil was eating it i just cried and screamed"
    http://www.livescripts.net

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by some moderator : Today at 9:01 PM.

How about dont have a contest and buy the games you like thats pretty much what it is isnt it except you get all these games on your site without paying for the majority of them and no credits to the author. Sounds good.
    "I layed down in my bed last night looked up at the stars, and thought to myself... Where the F*#K is my roof"

doItLikeThis
    Hmmmmm, how old are you?
    -Aditya

It looks like I'm just going to buy games. Thanks for everybody's input.