A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: email a resume - tips please

email a resume - tips please

I found a job opening in the paper related to graphic design and it is in my area.
    "Please fax or email resume to ..."
    I'm thinking email is the way to go, but before I send it- I want suggestions on file format: .doc, .pdf, .jpg ?

A pdf file always looks professional, but is it a little unnecessary considering my resume is only one page? Plus I don't think "Reader" can actually create .pdf now that I think of it, heh.

I don't want the file to be editable, it seems unprofessional, so that's why I wanted suggestions. Thanks.

Personally, I would always go with a word file (doc)

They are small and universally understood.
    Your resume will show correctly formatted and can be easily printed by the recipient.

It is worth considering that your email will be received by the HR department or a secretary who may not even have a PDF reader. They will probably have the task of printing the resumes to hand to the appropriate person.

My suggestions would be to attach your resume as a word document, but also include a link to your CV online. I guess you will have a link to your online portfolio anyway?

Some Games
    -----------------------

On behalf of someone who has hired and fired, I recommend sending along an extra .txt version of your resume.

First of all, it's easier to copy/paste from, and secondly, many companies feed their resumes through text-scanners. This unformatted text file is much easier to repurpose for them, and is a nice way to impress them with some forethought.

i'm a hiring manager as well, and a lot of times people will send me all three (.txt, .doc, and .pdf). i've been through about 1000 resumes over the past 5 years, and never needed to copy and paste from one of them (do you really do that jay?). i also think that there is a greater chance of the document opening properly as a .pdf than as a .doc - plus, who doesn't have acrobat reader? anyone that is reviewing resumes will have it, i promise.

a strong portfolio site trumps a well designed resume in my book anyday - so make sure yours is kickin'.

good luck, nords.
    Last edited by nordberg; 09-23-2004 at 10:48 AM.

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

attack son, on all fronts and formats... it works, from one who has been in your shoes.
    Freebies:
    Sound Loops | Sound Effects | Images | Code Pigs | 6ood coff33

The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments.

Thanks guys!
    Another aspect I was curious about:
    any other information to include, in the email body. What would you like to see in the email body? Example :
    "I am interested in becoming a part of your company. I have attatched a resume in PDF format. I am a robot."
    Eh ?
    Went with .pdf, because the guy with 3500 posts suggested it...
    got to respect your elders.

posts mean squat... if you want to win your game don't follow what he, she or they tell you.

Never focus on the "good advice" of others, mine ...
    included...

Freebies:
    Sound Loops | Sound Effects | Images | Code Pigs | 6ood coff33

The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments.

yeah, my advice probably isn't the best as I have never had to send my CV to get a job.

Good luck with it anyways.

Some Games
    -----------------------

dude, don't listen to me!

seriously, the most common format i get is a Word doc. some people send me .pdfs, but mostly it's the technical writers i am hiring, as they want to prove they have 'publishing' skills and what not. when i am hiring a designer, i usually get a pretty standard resume in Word format, with a link to a website....the 'real resume'.

good luck!

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

Originally posted by nordberg
    ...never needed to copy and paste from one of them (do you really do that jay?).
    Haha! Not any more.
    When I worked for General Motors, it was mandatory that all resumes be entered into a large, world-wide database... Whether someone was a candidate for a particular job or not. These resumes landed in a searchable pool of possible applicants for various jobs within GM.

I know that many large corporations and contract houses work this way as well... so it depends really on where you're sending it.

And I agree on the portfolio...

Yes indeed, it's a little silly to make an important decision based on the opinion of "the guy who has 3500 posts".

But .pdf is an office standard, and I really wanted to go with it all along, so I was happy to see Nord confirming its use.
    Thanks!

Vote for your dog
    yes but the moron who's painting her nails might not know what a pdf is ... include all known formats.

I've met office harpys who think you can't print a pdf...

Originally posted by nordberg
    a strong portfolio site trumps a well designed resume in my book anyday - so make sure yours is kickin'.
    word. well said Nords.

This is all that matters anyways.