A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drop down menu?

Drop down menu?

I want to do a drop down menu. like this examples below. I want it to be smothe and drop straight down from the main on the top and go away when not on it. Someone help me out on this?

Thanks

photo-
    photos1
    photos2
    photos3

Homes-
    Homes1
    Homes2
    Homes3

Banned
    Try this one...
    Last edited by oldnewbie; 12-03-2004 at 02:41 AM.

Ok, so I am looking at it now. It is a movie clip. So movie clip is better than using a button? How do I ad the goto? do I make the drop down boxes button and then do a when click and release geturl index2.html?

I did unlock the layers in the movie and added a name to the top"red" botton, then I locked it out and went to the second box and when I got to the button on it and put in a name it duplicated it for the other boxes below. Why is this?

Thanks
    Last edited by tim_ver; 10-01-2004 at 10:01 PM.

Banned
    No, no, no! Don't know what you did, but the red shape is not a button... It just changes the green main menu item to red to show that this is selected menu item... You could have several of these menu items, one beside the next one...
    As for the dropdown options, those are buttons, and the first one is even set to target google... Changing that one only changes that option button and not any of the others, where you can set whatever different action...

Ok I think I got it. But I want the red or top button to also be a button. Then the one under it would be buttons to other pages. Is this posible?

Thanks

Banned
    Yeah! Just convert it to a button symbol, and assign whatever action to it!

I made it a button and labeled it but I tryed to do the over lay for the hit zone area na d for some reason it is not working. The only area the hand shows up at is just left of the first letter in the name on the button. All other points is notta. And I mad the hit color red and that does not show up either. arghhhh

I have the top as main page then should be work area, FAQS, Contact and latest stuff. But for some reason when I enter the second button name all the buttons are that name and do not work. can someone tell me what is wrong or clean it up so it works and tell me what I did wrong on this. Thanks

I will add the fill to next post seem I can not when I edit this message.
    Last edited by tim_ver; 10-02-2004 at 05:56 PM.

File Help :(

Here is the file.

Help..

Anyone help? Please...

Banned
    You can't do it the way you were doing it...
    You can change the action on several instances of the same button symbol, but if you want to change the appearance of the symbol, you must duplicate it, edit the duplicate, and replace the old symbol that was on stage with the new one. Otherwise, editing one instance of the button symbol, will be reflected in all instances of that button symbol.
    Did this on the 4th button I named Faqs, but you'll have to do it on your own for your other buttons.
    You duplicate the symbol in the Library, edit it, and then move it on stage to replace the other button symbol. Take note of the buttons' positions before deleting them, and then position the new ones on the exact same coordinates.
    One last thing, when adding text to a button, make sure you unselect the Selectable tab (Ab) in the textfield's properties.

Also corrected the main button.

Ok. Thanks much. New to this so need some help. Appriciate it.

Now if I want to import this into another flash website what is the easiest way to do this? Vopy and paste frames or import?

Thanks
    Last edited by tim_ver; 10-02-2004 at 11:25 PM.

arghh

Ok sweet I goto it done but now I copy/paste the frame 1 scene 1 "before menu" and when I do a ctrl/enter on the flash it does not show up or work. How can I move it into this flash site so it works?

Thanks

Banned
    Come again?

Opps sorry. I wanted to know how to get the main top button to show a name on it at all times instead of just a green box.?

Thanks
    Last edited by tim_ver; 10-03-2004 at 12:04 AM.

Banned
    Just copied the first textfield on a new added layer only on frame 1...

Ok I got the text down but I have tried to change the main "first" button. I made a duplicate of the main_menu_button and the changed it but when i even do this both drop downs I have change to the same main button name.

arghhhh

Banned
    Duplicates!

Yes see what I did as took this and made a second drop down with it and renamed it to another name for movie and then renamed the first button of both. This way I have two individual menus for this, but when I change the first button even though I renamed it and the movie the name changes on both of the drop downs.

??

Banned
    Because again you're using 2 instances of a one and only symbol. You have to make a duplicate of that first button, edit the duplicate, and then insert it in the second dropdown. You have to make other duplicates if you had a third dropdown, unless of course you don't want to change their appearance.
    Further more if your button is made of several other symbols, you would have to make duplicates of all the symbols you do want to edit seperately, and re-insert those duplicates in the different duplicated buttons themselves...

Get the picture now?

I have done the duplicate of the first button and the others below and inserted them in the new created movie drop down but it still changes both. I do understand what you are saying.