A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: boulaburton.com

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's

Probably one of the coolest things on the site, IMO.

anti-intro coalition founder
    Originally posted by junior_ab
    Dude, i'm not bashing i just stated my opinion on a website, where its viewed by clients not a forum. I dont give a rat a$$ about my avatar or banner but i do care about how my site is going to be percieved.

I guess your one of the members that praises on work you dont have skills in. The site is LAME is my opinion, putting your pet on a green screen opening after effects and keying out the color to only make visitors wait inpatient to see a dog run around, whoopy imma go pray now.
    What is the difference between bashing and saying "The site is LAME is my opinion, putting your pet on a green screen opening after effects and keying out the color to only make visitors wait inpatient to see a dog run around, whoopy imma go pray now"

Since its such crap, I’m sure the we all would be indebted to see one of your well designed pieces, ehh?

Is it possible for us to discuss the site and possibly how it was done without the flames.
    I don't have answers.

it seems to me people are too extreme...either they hate it or love it...but it is thier opinion...look I have dog on my site..but that is because it is my personal site, and I wanted it...not the business site, but if he called it lame I wouldn't care...the fact is the site is good work.

Finally, there is a difference between knowing how something is done and doing it...just cause I know how something is done doesn't mean I can't respect the work...just my opinion

Words of wisdom my friend.

BTW like the dog on your site. How'd you do the text blur effect on the process section?
    I don't have answers.

I can't find the tutorial so I will try to explain it...
    1. zoom blur an image
    2. bring the original and zoom on the stage as graphics
    3. both have motion
    4. Zoom blur image goes from 100% to 0% alpha
    5. Regular image does the oppisite...
    that is it

the hardest effect to do was the services section

by the way superwagon...I don't know if you are a fan but I have been crying for the past 3 weeks because of my buckeyes

Ha ha ha...those poor bucks. I have a couple friends who go and went to Ohio State. There's always next year!
    I don't have answers.

I am not too worried my wildcats are loaded with freshman talent in basketball

<--- Bleeds scarlet and gray

Originally posted by abound media
    Since its such crap, I’m sure the we all would be indebted to see one of your well designed pieces, ehh?
    Like i said dude it's my opinion i think your taking this way to serious. Even if i was to display my "well designed pieces" it wouldn't be up to standards to ABOUND MEDIA CORP.

Originally posted by junior_ab
    Dude, i'm not bashing i just stated my opinion on a website, where its viewed by clients not a forum. I dont give a rat a$$ about my avatar or banner but i do care about how my site is going to be percieved.

I guess your one of the members that praises on work you dont have skills in. The site is LAME is my opinion, putting your pet on a green screen opening after effects and keying out the color to only make visitors wait inpatient to see a dog run around, whoopy imma go pray now.
    if you think this site is lame, TRUST ME as somone who has been in this business for a long time, it is time for you to try something else cause you have absolutely no idea what youa re talking about sorry...and don't give me art is subjective crap.
    Last edited by bomb threat; 10-19-2004 at 05:02 PM.

Talk about the site or don't post in this thread. Take your flames to pm.
    I don't have answers.

Really nice typography stuff, also l ike the idea, it works well for an agency.

Only thing Id say they should fix is that menu. At first, I didn't realize it was there. A good menu shouldn't require you to literally writ "Menu" next to it.

The links don't really make sense either...Ya, I can see how "BLABLA" relates to contact, but why not just write contact, it makes the user's life easier, and putting things like BLABLA and LIFE, to me at least, doesn't really enhance, it just confuses.

The overall style and aesthetic is nice however.

Originally posted by stevietat

The links don't really make sense either...Ya, I can see how "BLABLA" relates to contact, but why not just write contact, it makes the user's life easier, and putting things like BLABLA and LIFE, to me at least, doesn't really enhance, it just confuses.
    I tend to disagree and I will tell you why. I think it shows off the creativity and outside the box thinking that this persons has. Personaly, I am sick of the cookie cutter portfolios, you have the "about me", "contact", and "portfolio" on 99% of the sites out there. How are you supposed to stand out when you are dressed like every other kid in the class, right?

Then again, I also see where you are coming from. "Good Design" should be a collaboration of both in my personal opinion.

From the perspective of a designer I don't mind the different link titling as much, I'm sort of impartial to it.

But from the perspective of a browsing client, to be honest, I don't want to waste my time trying to understand a designer's slangs. That's a designer designing for himself, or his peers. As a client, I won't care about whether it looks like all the other portfolio sites, because at least with those I won't be confronted with a bunch of links that aren't telling me whats behind them. For a company that is trying to sell communication design, it doesn't reflect very well on their ability to do so.

That's a harsh way of looking at it, but it's something all designers should consider.

I'd say there are better ways of sticking out from the crowd, because something like this almost comes off as a lazy way of doing it. How long does it take to think of another way of saying About,Work,Contact? Not long.

Stuff like that seems sorta slapped in as an afterthought to me, for no legitimate reason. On this site in particular, the 'life', and 'ideas' don't bother me so much, its the 'BLABLA' which doesn't work, or make any sense until you see the content behind it. With a site like this, only 3 main links, it won't take long to browse, so its not as bad. Its when I see this stuff on sites with 7 buttons all titled like this that I get really annoyed.

Mystery links like that work better in sorts of movie sites and more 'artsy' pieces, where it makes the whole thing seem more non-conformist. But on a portfolio site, I prefer things to be clear and to the point. Its all pretty subjective, but I think it's important to think about whether you are sacrificing useability for being different.

Originally posted by bomb threat
    if you think this site is lame, TRUST ME as somone who has been in this business for a long time, it is time for you to try something else cause you have absolutely no idea what youa re talking about sorry...and don't give me art is subjective crap.
    omg, dude calm down its MY OPINION and what if i'm not a designer? You are judging me based on what I said. If you asked me I dont see your experience in your footer links. Sorry its the truth. Get over it.

Ok, i really dont mean to stick my oar in but.........

Not long ago a guy was putting fruits on his site
    Are you refering to my site in this statement?

If you are (or even if you arnt for that matter) i would incourage you to think a little bit.

Why does an IT based company have to have a techy site? i think having a site which totally contradicts the content is refreshing i.e. fruit, dogs, suncream.........(well maybe not suncream).

but you get what im saying right?
    freshly squeezed media

Feed me , **** me and shut the
    bad music wicked site. love it. cute dog.

I think the point of this is who cares....

now if the point of this is to be remembered then ask yourself which is easier to remember this or a tech site. If you think of every great portfolio site they are unique, and with every great portfolio site some people will not like it. Point, is to be remembered.

Junior_ab has his opinion he put it bluntly but it was his opinion. Now is that a bad thing? If you ask boulabourton I bet they would not care because look how long this thread is going and how much we are talking about it.

The last thing I like seeing on here is people getting heated....now the fruit guy...I like you site...I ALLWAYS remeber it.