A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: site check please...

site check please...

I just finished this site that I have been working on for ages. With the help of some kirupa/fashkit members i was able to get this site working properly. Some of you may remember my previous threads and the updated version is a big change. Can you all please critique it, any bugs, text problems, color problems, slow connection, etc...?

www.avidgraphics.net

thanks
    Tracy

nice work, I the pink and gray don't go, atleast in that way. dark gray and pink loading bar is very hard to look at.

I do recall doing a site check on an earlier version of your site. Can't remebr what my comments were tho'.

Anyway, this site looks good to me. I have no problems with the grey/pink combination. That pink is PINK! you don't get any hotter pink than that.

The fairly minimalist design is neat. I like it.

Loading times seem fine to me, even on 56k.

The 'prints' link open the loading bar and then the site kinda' just locks up. The only thing I can do is refresh the site to get back to the home page, then the other links work fine. Also, the resume .pdf link does not work.
    Last edited by mikeli; 10-14-2004 at 11:09 PM.
    .:- bugger -:.

thanks guys for the comments

mike... on ur system, does the site run smooth or choppy, i have my FPS at 30 now, before i had it at 50, do u see a difference? Yes, the resume.pdf isn't there b/c im currently fixing it and im not sure wut the problem is for the prints page.. so it just freezes?? that strange i didnt have any problems with it any idea on what it might be?

hey tracy the site looks great you have done a good job i only have one problem the buttons to select different pictures ect were hard to find for me.

ps.. i am no flash expert or anything but i am an experienced internet surfer hope this helps

quickmagic
    http://quickmagic.co.uk
    people dont plan to fail they fail to plan.

thanks quick, would it help if they were a different color..what would make them stick out more for you?

prints locks me up too.

also the scrollbar on resume doesn't scroll really... it like only lets you scroll a pixel here and a pixel there jerky like if you drag the bar. defninitely needs some work there.

thanks admedia, will try to fix it =)

admedia, i fixed it, hopefully.... is there a change on ur end or is it still choppy?

buttons

hi there maybe put a small text on buttons or some kind of tiny pic hope this helps

ps check out my new design site

http://doncasterwebdesign.co.uk

print works good now.

In IE the scroller works fine. But not in FireFox, my usual browser on WinXP pro. Strange...

to see what I am seeing
    http://********firefox.com

Other than that looks good from what I saw.

thanks admedia.... i downloaded firefox and i saw the same problem... do you have an idea on why that might be happening?? im not familiar with firefox, is it widly used amongst pc users?? thanks for the feedback about the site in general, one other question for you.... does the site lag?? choppy or anything? im having a problem with my FPS, previously it was 50, now its 30 and i jsut read a post by oldnewbie and he was saying 34 FPS is the best FPS.... do u see any change or any wrong??

thanks quickmagic... how about if i had a hover caption appear with the buttons?

Tracy

Yep, 30fps is good and I do seem to recall some comments regarding that previously (conicidentally I use 30fps as my standard frame rate, sometimes use 24fps).

The scroll bar has certainly been improved in fluidity and the inclusion of easing is good.

The 'prints' button is now working for me so I have no idea either as to what caused that hiccup.

BTW, what's the hex code for that pink? I'll have to find a job to use that on, it looks great on my TFT!

BTW, Firefox is gaining popularity and it is coming up in 2nd or 3rd place in the sites that I monitor (mind you, IE is still in the 87% range. If memory serves me correctly Firefox is a good browser to test with as it adheres strictly with W3C (World Wide Web Consortium) conventions (opera certainly does).

One thing that i forgot to mention:

With the scrolling text, if you go all the way down, then all the way back up the text doesn't come all the way back down to where it should be.

Excellent site, everything loads quickly, animation is super smooth, and the minimalist design is quite nice, especially for a portfolio site. Honestly the gray and pink combination is one of my favorite...a very modern combo. I do agree that the pink loader is hard to see (besides the original loader). Maybe just lighten it up a couple shades for the subpages. Also, and this is me trying to find stuff to suggest, maybe tone down the shadow/glow around the main box. To me it seems a little big, and the effect of some depth is not quite as good. Overall, a great site, very professional!

tracy maybe make the small boxes flash on there own just to let people know that there clickable

wow i wish i could hug all you guys

mike.... ur a doll thanks for giving me the stats, i downloaded FireFox last night and here is the hex for the pink... #FF0066

i do know about the scroller, the problem is, im following a FLA i found on Kirupa and i chaned the script so the scrolling would stop at the last line and then i had replies from you guys saying it was choppy, so i assumed that was the problem...i changed the AS back to the original and now it loads better.... any idea how i can fix that considering im scrolling pixel fonts with an ease??

DMB... thanks for the feedback, yeah i do know about the loader, thats why you saw different colors, just experiementing with wut looks best or wutever. Some people have suggesting changing the shadow also, i'll tone it down a bit. Also, you have an incredible site, one of the nicest tha ti have seen...thanks for ur comments

quick... that's a good idea, i'll try something later today and see what you think... thanks for the idea
    Last edited by Tracy981; 10-16-2004 at 07:56 AM.

Hey....

e-mail me ... mike@eadesign.com.au

I'll mail you back a really sweet and easy to use - pixel font compatible - scroller.

forgot to tell you 2 things....

1. check out my scroller at my site check request post below.

2. thanks for the hex code... saves me time looking for it...

mike, check email.... and you're welcome on the color, if you use it, can i see what you do?? ive read soooo many times that pink is a hard color to use, especially that one, so im always curious on how people use it.... if you dont mind. thanks!!