A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: preloader not loading properly

preloader not loading properly

I have a small problem with a preloader...it seems to be loading and playing as its loading and not actually loading everything first. The preloader is in the main movie and im using it to load different elements of the site...if someone wants to check the url its evindempsey.com just click on one of the portfolio links or something and youll see what im talking about..id really appreciate some advice here...thanks guys

Banned
    Had a look... But I'm on a fast connection, should I check it on my old 56k modem?

What do you think is wrong with it?

It seems to load the movie before the actual bar has completely loaded...i would appreciate if u could take a look at it on your 56k...the bar is only partially loaded in some cases and the movie animates over the top of it? Its not really clear to me why this is happening...

thanks man

Banned
    Yeah! See what you're saying! Guess your preloaders are not really working then... And your movies are but streaming in as they're loading.
    Even you first main preloader, although that one may in fact be working, only appears (on a slow connection) but at the end of the preloading process, most probably because of your presumed attached sound object or clip, or other stuff with linkage set to export on the first frame, which will keep your preloader from displaying anything, until all of that stuff has downloaded before the first frame.

What code are you using on the other inner preloaders? Are the preloaders within each loaded movie, or are you using a generic preloader within your main movie, to load all your external movies?

The preloader is one generic one that loads up all the loaded movies and its in the main movie timeline...i now see what youre saying about the main preloader aswell...i didnt catch that cos my connection is too fast...i dont know if u noticed it but if u turn the music off and then open one of the links and then close it again the music starts up again...so i reckon ill have to change that anyway..

but here is the script for the preloader used to load the folio movies etc....

this.blo = math.round(_level0.mtClip.getbytesloaded()/1024);
    this.bto = math.round(_level0.mtClip.getbytestotal()/1024);
    this.percentage = Math.round((Number(this.blo)/Number(this.bto))*100);
    this.po = "Loading: "+Number(this.percentage)+" %";
    bar._xscale=percentage;
    if (this .blo > 0 && this .blo == this .bto ) {
    _level0.mtClip.gotoAndPlay("start");
    nextFrame();
    } else if (this .blo == 0 && this .bto == 0 ) {
    this.po = " waiting for server ";
    gotoAndPlay(3);
    } else {
    gotoAndPlay(3);
    }

thanks for the help so far man

Banned
    Suggest you try out mine...

http://members.fortunecity.fr/fgill/genericpreload1.htm

Or provide me with a MX only .fla, holding this preloader, so that I can test it, and don't have to re-create from scratch...

Hi man,
    thanks for that link but im still having the problem,
    here is a fla with the preloader in it...it actually has both the main preloader and the other one in the main movie, just a really broken down version of my site...

thanks very much
    Attached Files Attached Files

Banned
    Don't see any preloading code in the main movie

the preloader for the main movie is in the preloader scene and then the preloader for the loaded movies is called preloader (movie symbol) in the library...im pretty sure its all there...let me know if i messed it up and sent u the wrong file...nearly poisitve though...cheers man

Banned
    No preloader scene in the mainmovie.fla!

I uploaded the wrong zip....ok here is the right zip!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Possible solution to ALL preloader problems?

I didn't bother to read these posts, as I am short on time right now, so if the problem has been solved or whatever, disregard this post.

I just saw problems with preloader, so I thought I'd show you the tutorial on here that I used to make my very first preloader. Since I learned how to make this kind of preloader and implemented it on my first site, I have not used any other approach when making a preloader (other than modifying the appearance of the preloader for each additional project, of course).

Here is the link. If you are still having problems, or if you just want one rock-solid, easy-to-use, totally portable preloader, check this out!

Read the Tutorial!

Cya!
    -Brian-

Banned
    I'm glad you posted that link, because that's exactly the other stupid preloader I was referring to (other than actionscripts.org's "smooth" preloader...), in my last post in this thread no longer than last night!

http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...hreadid=590009

does anyone want to take a look at my file though? I have read a million preloader tutorials already!! I finally uploaded the right bloody file!!! Thanks again guys!

LOL Like I said, I didn't read any previous posts, so sorry if I seemed to ignore your file...

Hey, if I get some time, I'll check it out, k?

Cya!

EDIT: Oldnewbie, I don't agree with you about the preloader I linked to being "stupid". It is less than 2K and shows up instantly. It takes no time to load/display at all, in fact, and only re-appears after a file is loaded if you want it to. Accordingly, it has a built-in function to where you can specify how it re-appears and what it will look like when it does.
    Last edited by Holograph; 10-18-2004 at 10:38 PM.
    -Brian-

no hassle mate, thanks for the link but my message was actually aimed at oldnewbie...we'd been trying tp establish why he couldnt find my preloader and it turned out i uploaded the wrong zip...

anyway oldnewbie if u get a chance id appreciate it alot..cheers..

Banned
    Brian if you like so much, use it! But I still feel that going through a 16 pages tutorial on a so badly explained, overcomplicated preloader is a waste of time. My preloader holds in 20 lines and could even be shorter. Works fabulously well and never re-displays if the file is already cache. And the good part is that you don't even have to set it up for it to do so. In the end, the best preloader is the one you see the less of... And I'd rather concentrate on the content of my movies, rather then spending days on a "stupid" preloader, that I'll barely see anyways on my cable connection.

Akimakim, I'll look into it now!
    Last edited by oldnewbie; 10-18-2004 at 11:13 PM.

Banned
    May I ask you if you'd not prefer to have a single generic preloader within your main movie, that having to include one in every external movie?

Fair enough, oldnewbie...I don't think I have seen your preloader...is the tutorial on here as well? Thanks!

EDIT: to answer that second post, the one I am talking about is a single external "imported" all-applicable preloader.
    -Brian-

Banned
    Nope! No need for a tutorial! Unless maybe you'd be lost in front of it because it's so simple!

That second post was not addressed to you Brian...
    Akimakim... My question was to you?