A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: soo,what will the next flash version bring us?

soo,what will the next flash version bring us?

well, after work i´m too lazy to post it for a second time so you can read it all on our blog:
    http://www.stimunationgames.de/blog/...=&select_case=
    nice news today =)

i sure hope its as fast as he claims, but no specifics mean we can't know yet. for all we know it's going to ruin Flash.

however, I am getting that 'electricity in the air' feeling, like this is really going to spark new life. he sure made some hefty claims, may they all be true!
    >flashl!ght<
    All the normal names were taken.
    Ron Paul was right.

Mike Downey from Macromedia:
    "...Regarding a speedier Flash Player: done (well, being done, actually...). And when I say, "speedier" I mean "A LOT FREAKIN FASTER!" And speed will just be one of the great improvements in the next player.

The next version of the player just might be the best piece of software our company has ever written. Sorry I can't provide any specifics, but you'll see it for yourself some time next year.
    ..."
    I get butterflies in my stomach

It's really good that macromedia listens to the community. I just wonder if they will do anything about swf-security. Does anyone know? I suggest making a new file format, in closed source. It will really prevent about 99% of todays flash-hacking. (Well not 99, but a big percentage)

Sounds good, but I wouldn´t jump to conclusions...

It isn´t the first time they have promissed a speedier player. Think I have heard it with almost every new release.

More interesting to know would be, exactly what part(s) they have/gonna speed up.

Sorry for sounding negative..

Hope it´s for real this time.
    /klas

ihoss.com
    When flash MX 2005 is released then I will update to flash MX 2004

But speed sounds great, another thing would be secure data encryption

And when I say, "speedier" I mean "A LOT FREAKIN FASTER!"
    hmm...hope so!

certainly makes life interesting when your livelihood is closely tied to a product that is evolving so fast

would be nice if clients would keep up - We'll be at player 9 before some people accept going beyond 6!

The part in the player that desperately needs a speed up right now is the rendering of bitmap and vector graphics. I can't see how they are going to make that significantly faster than it is now (say 10 times faster), unless it's been implemented very poorly in the past.

If they manage to make the rendering of graphics twice as fast, then I'm happy. I don't think expecting anything beyond that is realistic, but I would love to be wrong.

"We'll be at player 9 before some people accept going beyond 6!"

Amen

I'm with Klas on this. 7 was meant to be super duper fast if anyone remembers. Yeah it is a lot quicker than 6, but not for the things that really matter to us guys ( Such as graphic rendering ).
    I'm guessing another improvement in xml handling, strings and arrays and... well that's about it really.

Sorry I'm being cynical, in an ideal world mm will push Flash to be as powerful as Director and just relegate that to CD production, but I can't see anything much happening.
    Where every new pc is around 3ghz, why should mm kill themselves making an ultra fast player, they can just let the hardware compensate for all the shortfalls.

Squize.

Originally posted by Squize

Where every new pc is around 3ghz, why should mm kill themselves making an ultra fast player, they can just let the hardware compensate for all the shortfalls.

Squize. [/B]
    It would be nice if everyone in the world had nice shiny new 3GHz Hyperthreading cpu's in their pcs (hugs new computer) Would definately make life easier for us developers.

However, cleaning up the player's efficiency, so even old 1GHz processors can provide a decent show is something that definately should not be left off the books.....and it'll mean that we can still go making some insane flash mario cart that taxes a 3GHz+ system

I'll be remaining skeptical until I see some cold hard figures. I wonder if they've implemented OpenGL support. Now that would definitely see big improvements but i'm guessing that wont happen

Originally posted by Squize

Speaking of 3ghz... Decided to trash my old computer a couple of weeks ago, mainly because it was getting to old and the cpu-fan sounded like worldwar 3.

So I bought a new one, amd3500. Should be pretty fast at rendering flash content one might think.. But I tried some stuff I made before, that ran in 50fps on the old pc, and now on the new one they run in about 30fps.. In the browser I might add, same player on both. Sicko!

Strange stuff indeed!

So I don´t even think faster pcs will help MM

Btw. About the faster graphics rendering. I´ve heard someone say that one big bottleneck is the browsers plugin architecture. And think about it.. most stuff you make runs fine in the standalone-player. Drop it in a browser and the performance usually drops to somewhere between sheit and half-decent. Maybe there´s some truth in that...

/klas

ihoss.com
    What about hardware options, like joystick, video card, USB and CD options? would be so cool to play flash racer games with stearing wheels and pedals and to burn data to CD's

Oh, and at school nothing newer than flash 5 works

Originally posted by ihoss.com
    Oh, and at school nothing newer than flash 5 works
    At my school, nothing works.

I think if it does have the improvements promised, the next flash player will be great. But if they do, well...
    "wen i found my gerbil dead my other gerbil was eating it i just cried and screamed"
    http://www.livescripts.net

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by some moderator : Today at 9:01 PM.

[Link]

http://www.moock.org/blog/archives/000146.html

A video(not the best quality), demoing the new flash player. Looks pretty impressive!

yep,bring it on! i´m sure most of those effects shown in the video will form a new standard in webdesign and web game development quickly once f8 is released =D
    the speed improvements are really extremely impressive =D
    thanks for the link Klas =)

UPDATE
    sorry...had to take the video down. sucked up 50gb in 12 hours. i'm looking into hosting alternatives right now.
    Anyone feels like describing what it was before I kill myself?

Description of Video:

It looks like an expert pianist is performing on stage, but he gets up and explains that then new Flash Player 8 is actually playing the piano View switches to a flatscreen television where a demonstration of flashes speed in the old version is compared with the new version, using bouncing particles(but not before showing us how much better Flash will handle font rendering. WOOT!). In old flash (7) the framerate is incredibly slow, but in 8, there are only maybe 2 minor glitches (and that might have been the camera) and the particles were incredibly speedy Awesome. Some new flash effects like drop shadow will be included in the flash "maker" as well. There is also some video stuff, like blue screenish effects that were pretty sweet!
    - St. Nick

yep,its really impressive.
    to all:
    in case you would like to host the video and can handle high traffic (transfer of 50gb in 12 hours and similar,that´s what colin got),let me know .

Flash Player 8 looks very impressive, not only the performance improvement in rendering but the new effects such as drop shadow in real time. SVG has filter effects, so I'm not surprised Macromedia has finally incorporated them in the Flash format. Also, video with alpha support looks great!

Can someone who downloaded the video please send it to me? Pleeease! (astrand [the curly A] gmail.com)

-dramatic performance improvements (a sluggish calendar app jumps from 14fps to 125fps)
    wow!! can you release it soon MM??