A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: proper anime

Professional Bodger

proper anime

hey dudes

im planning on starting a project of making a real anime or manga animation series based in flash. i love akira and am a big fan of it now, i love the explosions,the bikes,everything!! lol well anyway, i think completely copying the style of akira would be wrong so ive come up with an idea...
    by mixing swift3d and 2d animation together to make a really cool series that is matrixy in style(it has to be done im sorry!!!)...
    but akira looks so good, but i just know that it would be really hard to try and get the same feel(although i dont want to copy lol), in looks and stuff, exspecially the backgrounds..as i dont want heavy raster images in it it will be hard to do, it gonna all be vector image. so ive been intensly observing how it looks like it does and ive come up with this(about the background to make them look raster when they are vector):

-not only does it need gradients but they also need to be detailed gradiants with lots of muck and stuff on it
    -alot of contrast
    -looks dirty
    -alot of detail
    -and most importantly *blur*

well as far as i know ya cant blur vector images in flash (or can ya?)

also does anyone know of any places on the net that have done little anime action movies that look cool?

so what u all think to my ambitious plan!? hehe
    I reject your reality and Substitute my own!

Control - Z Me, Please.
    First I would ask what animations have you already done? Or is this a project you are jumping right into off the turnip truck? If you are a veteran then rock on! If you are just starting out I would give the advice to start small. Make some really short stuff and get the feel for it. Buy some animation books too.

As far as the blur, you can soften the edges on vectors in Flash, but I think alot of people will export the vector background and blur it in PhotoShop then import it back for the blur.

Hope that helps!
    Latest Cartoon: DEFENDER OF EARTH
    Latest Game: VORTEX
    Me Being a Dork:JediBrian

Professional Bodger
    i mess around alot and make crazy zainy animations for the sakes of it (the best way to learn hehe) i practice anime alot, and i "seem" to have a talent for judging how sumthin should move over time (pyhsics) through a sequence of frames, so i guess i just gotta refine alot of stuff before the main thing(like the explosions!), but that can be doing while the story boards are doin!

just outta curiousity, silly question, but can ya save photoshop images as vectors?

Control - Z Me, Please.
    you can convert any bitmap image to vector, but sometimes that's just way too complex for the computer. A blurred bitmap in my opinion would be less efficent than just using the bitmap image.

All I meant was I sometimes get grand visions but realize I'm not ready to take on a huge animation. If I bite off more than I can chew I end up not even finishing it. I'm still working my way up as well.

my x booty it is that BIG
    i was watching your animation and also your game and not for nothing an animation of that magnitud is way too much for you.

this is an animation i started but never finished cuse my brother erased my fla file and if you click on my signature you can see some of my sketches also. and not even i would try to tackle something that big...

http://www.geocities.com/mixedtrigenito/solrac.swf NOT FINISHED WORK
    Project||[GAME]-on hold for now
    ------------------
    [Hero]-80%
    [Enemies]-1%
    [Weapons]-90%
    [Items]-0%
    [Levels]-10%

Control - Z Me, Please.
    mixedtrigeno,

Why are you even referencing my animation? I'm not the one wanting to make Akira in flash. I was just giving friendly advice on choosing a project that is actually doable.

I am not wanting a pissing match here, but your own animation is hardly anything to rave about, so please refrain from defining what is "way too much for me".

Anyway, as I said gi3nn, start small and work up.

Re: proper anime

Originally posted by g13nn

also does anyone know of any places on the net that have done little anime action movies that look cool?

so what u all think to my ambitious plan!? hehe

His stuff is amazing, also good luck with the project, let us know how it turns out! www.rvanim.com

Professional Bodger
    thanx for the advice dudes im gonna start doin reeli short pieces of action i think, then think about doin a 10 min long movie or sumthin...i'll post them on here any bits ive done when i do them to c what ya think and how 2 improve them ... btw earth defender is cool

Control - Z Me, Please.
    Originally posted by g13nn
    thanx for the advice dudes im gonna start doin reeli short pieces of action i think, then think about doin a 10 min long movie or sumthin...i'll post them on here any bits ive done when i do them to c what ya think and how 2 improve them ... btw earth defender is cool
    Thanks, man. I think the short scenes are the way to start on your big project..

I wasn't trying to imply that I was a pro. I was trying to imply that I too am in the same boat as you. And that is what is working for me! Good luck! And show us some of the stuff as you do it!

my x booty it is that BIG
    Originally posted by Radar_Brian
    mixedtrigeno,

Why are you even referencing my animation? I'm not the one wanting to make Akira in flash. I was just giving friendly advice on choosing a project that is actually doable.

I am not wanting a pissing match here, but your own animation is hardly anything to rave about, so please refrain from defining what is "way too much for me".

Anyway, as I said gi3nn, start small and work up.
    i wasnt refering to you i was refering to g13nn sorry if took it your way
    Project||[GAME]-on hold for now
    ------------------
    [Hero]-80%
    [Enemies]-1%
    [Weapons]-90%
    [Items]-0%
    [Levels]-10%

Control - Z Me, Please.
    Originally posted by mixedtrigeno
    i wasnt refering to you i was refering to g13nn sorry if took it your way
    cool dude. No problem here.

Well, everyone here wants to start some thing long and good. but it never ends. I started on animation sometime 2000, and when I finished the script, storyboard, and the first scene, I lost interest in it, and started another one, and then another one, I am still in the same cycle, will let you know when the cycle ends. But yea, it was not a waste of time, I did learn many things about animation while in that cycle. So, go for it, and if you don’t finish don't be surprised.

http://alpha-shade.com/

It's an online comic but they've made a short trailer in Flash that you can look at- it's got explosions and most of its objects and backgrounds is vector- the best example I can give you. If you check out the tutorials on the site, they show you how they create complex vector backgrounds and stuff. If you want more examples, check out the actual comic and see it for yourself...

Professional Bodger
    thats just cool at its coolest, hehe... that is exactly the style i am aiming for... 10 happy points to you! thanx