A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much of a women (oestrogen) is in you?

How much of a women (oestrogen) is in you?

http://www.bath.ac.uk/pr/releases/fingerlength.htm

The study drew on work in the last few years which established that the levels of oestrogen and testosterone a person has can be seen in the relative length of their index (second) and ring (fourth) fingers. The ratio of the lengths is set before birth and remains the same throughout life.

The length of fingers is genetically linked to the sex hormones, and a person with an index finger shorter than the ring finger will have had more testosterone while in the womb, and a person with an index finger longer than the ring finger will have had more oestrogen. The difference in the lengths can be small – as little as two or three per cent – but important.
    My index finger is a bit longer then my ring finger ... guess I have a lot of a women in me, but that seems to be something good if you want to be a scientist:

Male scientists are good at research because they have the hormone levels of women and long index fingers, a new study says.
    Time to start my science career it seems.

So what about you? How high is your oestrogen level?

Fredi
    Mind Share Projects [ <- my latest projects ] [ my splash page -> ] Fredi Bach
    OS X Code (r,s) [ my Mac, web 2.0 and programming blog ]
    Not A Blog [ my personal weblog ]
    jMe Feed Aggregator [ my latest most famous project ]
    Web Command Line [ use the web like a real geek ]

i'm very definatly a man... filled with testoterone and those are at VERY high levels....
    Cannot comprehend this site still exists

http://www.flipshark.com flipshark's Avatar
    My ring finger is almost a full inch longer than my index finger. Never noticed till now and now I feel deformed. My ring finger is close to the same length as my middle finger.

"iI|" I am for sure a full male with no female side what so ever. My ring finger is the same size as my middle finger(almost).

I am not saying that there is anything wrong with being women, but am very happy to be a male, and I love women.
    Last edited by cartoon guy; 10-25-2004 at 11:29 AM.

Originally posted by flipshark
    My ring finger is almost a full inch longer than my index finger. Never noticed till now and now I feel deformed....
    freak

judging by the fact I have a penis id say im 100% male, thankyouverymuch.
    This information is subject to change without notice and
    is provided "as is" with no warranty.

Originally posted by the sherrif
    judging by the fact I have a penis id say im 100% male, thankyouverymuch.
    Does that mean your index finger is longer

Damn, yet another thing to worry over. Which hand? Did it say? Now I'm going to lose sleep. My right hand has a longer ring finger, while on my left, they are about the same.

Originally posted by flipshark
    My ring finger is almost a full inch longer than my index finger. Never noticed till now and now I feel deformed. My ring finger is close to the same length as my middle finger.
    Hush child. japangreg can do what he wants. - PAlexC
    That was Zen - this is Tao.

Originally posted by iaskwhy
    My right hand has a longer ring finger, while on my left, they are about the same.
    That just meens that you have two different personalities inside of you that fight against each other all the time ... nothing to worry about.

Fredi
    Mind Share Projects [ <- my latest projects ] [ my splash page -> ] Fredi Bach
    OS X Code (r,s) [ my Mac, web 2.0 and programming blog ]
    Not A Blog [ my personal weblog ]
    jMe Feed Aggregator [ my latest most famous project ]
    Web Command Line [ use the web like a real geek ]

Damn, yet another thing to worry over. Which hand? Did it say? Now I'm going to lose sleep. My right hand has a longer ring finger, while on my left, they are about the same.
    ...so I guess it'd be safe to say that you are 'right-handed'?...

(I'd like to apologize to the FK community for that mental picture...)

Originally posted by japangreg
    ...so I guess it'd be safe to say that you are 'right-handed'?...

(I'd like to apologize to the FK community for that mental picture...)
    No, I'm ambidextrous. I can write with either hand, but I use a right handers baseball mit, but prefer to bat left. I can throw a ball with either hand and shoot a rifle or pistol from either side. Politically, I lean to the right, but also see a lot of good in the left. Seems to me that's all positive stuff. I don't see an advantage to be exclusively one or the other, as a guy can lose one or the other if he lives long enough.

Nothing nice to say and nothing to contribute
    I can throw a ball with either hand
    Really? With the same fluid motion? I've sometimes wondered..there are plenty of switch hitters in baseball but a switch pitcher has never been seen. If you could do it professionally you would be a seriously rich man.

I was always a little bit better with the right hand, but it was accuracy that suffered. Basically, I could throw about the same distance from either side. It also depends on the ball. I can't throw a football left handed very well, but am actually better hooping a basketball from the left. Basketball was my game as a kid. I freaked out my coaches cause I could dribble that sucker down the court with either hand and not have to look at it.

I think it comes from heradity. My dad is a lefty and one of my brothers. Mom is right handed and so is my other brother, and none of them can do much of anything with the off hand. Part of it also may be that I grew up working on a farm, and there are so many activities that go a lot easier if you train yourself to use either hand, rather than just one all the time. I've found it mildly advantageous for almost everything since then.

testosterone a person has can be seen in the relative length of their index (second) and ring (fourth) fingers.
    Isn't the index finger the one beside the thumb (making it the first), and the ring finger the one beside your baby finger (making it the third).

Originally posted by Covenent
    Isn't the index finger the one beside the thumb (making it the first), and the ring finger the one beside your baby finger (making it the third).

It's easier to think of them as the two fingers on either side of the one you use to flip people off with.

It's easier to think of them as the two fingers on either side of the one you use to flip people off with.
    That's my point they have given the fingers the incorrect names.

I wonder what toes tell us?

That's my point they have given the fingers the incorrect names.
    If you use that system, then there is no middle finger; who would want that?

(@ iaskwhy: <passes open palm over top of head>whoosh! )

http://www.flipshark.com flipshark's Avatar

No, they are simply making the assumption that the thumb counts as a finger, thus giving 5 fingers to each hand. So the thumb is finger 1, the pinky/baby the 5th, ring 4th, middle 3rd, index 2nd.

If you don't count the thumb, then there is no middle finger as someone already mentioned.