A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: load time (?)

load time (?)

I have my flash site that I have about complete. I have the majority of the files there, just some content I need to put and other tweaks. This is my first flash site, and need some feedback on the loading time. It seems that when I test it, it takes a while before the actual movie and preloader start to load. Can you give me some advice or thoughts on this. Thanks...

http://www.dfwstudio.com/flash/test.html

hmmmm

19 views and no comments/advice?

?

weird...26 views...and no assistance. thats either good or very bad

Banned
    It ain't so bad on my fast cable connection, but just checked it on my 56k dial-up, and it took over 2 1/2 minutes for the preloader to show up, and I gave up around 5 or 6 minutes, when the preloader was but indicating half of the movie loaded...

Then when I checked your movie's size, almost 3MB, I understood!

Much too heavy for slow connected users... If they're also part of your targeted audience, then you should think about building a main interface movie, and only load up other sections, made into seperate external .swfs, upon demand...

Your probably attached sound, is also causing some delay on the appearance of the preloader from the beginning, even on my cable connection, and you might want to use a seperate preloader only movie, to load your movie, cleared of this present preloader...
    Or possibly load that sound as a streaming dynamic mp3.

Preloaders always have to be of minimum size.
    What's the use if ur preloader's size is more than that of your movie ?

Basic thing to understand when creating a website, is that try to keep the size as less as possible without affecting the quality of your work. If there are lots of images, then reduce their size as much as possible.

In websites, the end user does not like to wait long for a file to load. He might just switch to another site.

So always remember, SIZE does matter.
    only stupid people look for logic in the chambers of the human heart

why does it take so much time to show preloader, is it because of that grey background, is it an heavy image , i think you have taken one big image as a background

your site is very good for the first timer believe me. but people will expect more to happen after so much of waiting during preloading

Banned
    As I suggested, an attached soundObject is probably causing the delay in the appearance of the preloader, even on a fast connection... Of course, it's much longer on a slow connection...

thanks

Thanks for the assistance and the advice. I tried to use a streaming mp3 bg sound object, but the sound did not start streaming until about 10 seconds after the movie had loaded. With the sound external it dropped the movie size to around 600K..., but i would like the music to start when he movie loads...

Banned
    How heavy is the sound now in terms of bytes?

ok

it is 3.3MB mp3

Banned
    I cut it down to +/- 550KBs, re-compressing it at 20kbps, and it still sounds fine to me...
    Laid it as an event sound on the first frame the movie... It would load with your preloader, and would start at the beginning of the movie... Better that it ever was! Worth a try!...

i don't know if im on my own with this but please put a mute button on it, I instantly close sites that wake my GF up late at night
    A spark of light in a dark wibbly wobbly world

Banned
    Buzz off Tokyo! If you have nothing to say, then don't say it!

And yes, I'm hostile and openly dislike you!

not your thread old, but sorry to flashoverdesign it was only a suggestion as the problem has seemed to be resolved and i thought it may help...
    A spark of light in a dark wibbly wobbly world

Banned
    If "something" needs a mute button applied to, it's you!

Have a nice day!

Thanks

Thanks Old Newbie....I will do just as you said. I appreciate the help as always!!!
    Let me ask though, when you say cut it down to 550K are you referring to the length of the file or somehow compressing the MP3, I am new to sound issues
    and tokyo...why dont you just turn down the volume on your speakers rather than have a mute button? Just a thought...
    Last edited by flashoverdesign; 10-26-2004 at 08:50 AM.

Banned
    Double click the sound file in the Library, uncheck the "Use imported quality" box, and set the other boxes to MP3, 20kbps, Best. Uncheck the Convert strereo to mono box, if you don't want to convert it to mono. Click OK.
    Next under File, check the Flash tab on the Publish Settings, to uncheck the "Override Sound Settings" box, if it is checked. It shouldn't.

Drag, your sound to the timeline's first frame and set loop to 999.

Should work.

yes

Yes I played around with it and set it at 24kb and it sounds fine. It resampled the file to about 600K from 3.3M.....thank you as always

Banned