A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: dynamic text not displaying

dynamic text not displaying

I have a problem I can't figure out. Hopefully someone has an idea.

I can't see any text showing in my dynamic text field, but I believe its there...

I have a dynamic text field on a button that I am attatching to a movieclip and placing on the stage (using the symbol linkage). The dynamic text field is set to "_sans" for the font and nothing is embeded.

Here's the line of code I'm using to define the text in dynamic text field:
    Code:
    newButtonMc["button" + count].thumbNum = count;
    trace("COunt = " + count);
    trace("TExt in 'thumbNum' var [newButtonMc] = " + newButtonMc);
    trace("TExt in 'thumbNum' var [newButtonMc.buttonx] = " + newButtonMc["button" + count]);
    trace("TExt in 'thumbNum' var [to textfield] = " + newButtonMc["button" + count].thumbNum);
    This is what my trace shows:
    COunt = 1
    TExt in 'thumbNum' var [newButtonMc] = _level0.butMovie.square_2.button1holder
    TExt in 'thumbNum' var [newButtonMc.buttonx] = _level0.butMovie.square_2.button1holder.button1
    TExt in 'thumbNum' var [to textfield] = 1
    COunt = 2
    TExt in 'thumbNum' var [newButtonMc] = _level0.butMovie.square_2.button2holder
    TExt in 'thumbNum' var [newButtonMc.buttonx] = _level0.butMovie.square_2.button2holder.button2
    TExt in 'thumbNum' var [to textfield] = 2

So looking at the trace info, it seems to me that the text should be displaying. One button should be labeled "1" and the other "2" Right....

Thanks in advance
    Erik Peterson
    Project o3

Hi,

Try embedding the font.

NTD, exactly right! that worked.

Now can you explain why I have to embed the font? I was hoping I wouldn't have to use the extra file space by embedding a font...

If that's the oly way to get the text to display then I guess I don't have a choice...
    Erik Peterson
    Project o3

I cant say why for sure,... not because it's a secret or anything, just that I dont know. If your textfields are on the main timeline you don't need to embed the font. If your textfields are in movieclips, you do. I've seen it on the boards many times and it is usually the culprit behind text not appearing.

fair enough...

Thanks again.
    Erik Peterson
    Project o3