A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Actionscript guider/wizard

Actionscript guider/wizard

I have worked with previous versions of MX before and as I remember it came with a box that popped up that sort of guided me. It game me a list of commands, sort of an index, that I used to have but lost. (It included a list of all the commands in alphabetical order). And say if I added something like gotoAndPlay it would have a box with drop downs and spaces letting me choose between things like frame, or scene, and then the frame/scene number. Whether or not it was a frame label etc. How can I get this back?

Flashkit Jedi

There is no such option in mx '04.

XFM

That really sucks because it made it almost impossible to get a code error on simple stuff like loading screens. Say I wanted a loading screen. Once the frame "finish" which is in scene 3 is finished loading, I want the frame "start" in scene 2 to start playing. What is the code for this? WIth my playing around I have gotten something like ifFrameLoaded("scene 3", finish){gotoAndPlay("scene 2", start);}

Are you referring to being able to switch between expert mode and whatever the other mode was called. Or to put it another way, did they do away with whatever the other mode was that made flash accessible?

And if they did, how do we get a refund?

Flashkit Jedi

LOL, if you want a refund, then you should either email support@macromedia.com or go to their site for a telephone number for their sales team.

The begginers mode has been taken off the MX '04 version, but you can still access features that help you.

If you bring up the actionscript inspector, there is a '+' button to the top left. This houses all the script available and say oif you click on Global Functions > Movie Control > gotoAndPlay(); it will give you the written out gotoAndPlay function with tiptext to help.

Thans about as begginer as mx '04 gets I'm affraid.

XFM

I'm obviously not one of the most sophisticated flash guys around, but i have yet to find a single thing with 2004 that I like. IMO they took a good program and screwed up just about everything. As far as a refund, the program was free so I can't really complain. Are there any issues I should be aware of with uninstalling it and installing the good MX? Will I be able to work with files that I have opened and saved with 2004?

Flashkit Jedi

Without trying to sound harsh, you have to move with the times in programming and design, or you'll get left behind. A person in design who is unwilling to learn new and better things is a person who shouldn't be in design at all.

Macromedia, in my opinion, have made many new advancements in '04 that really are irriplaceable. Is the fact that '04 is no longer housing a 'beginners mode' a real problem? I learnt actionscript with the beginners mode in flash 4 (way way back) because there was no other option, but in making '04 a tad more 'professional' in kicking out the old methods, I believe that you can feel that bit better in saying 'I can do flash!'

Also, if you think about it, it is more impressive to say 'I'm an actionscripter in MX 2004' than compared to saying 'I'm an actionscripter in MX.'

Flash is widely used by all ages. It is now known that there are more 'flash developers' in the world than there are web designers. As a programmer, I must say that I think it is definatly the best version to date, and that if you are thinking of advancing down the flash road, you had better start learning how to hand code actionscript. Otherwise, in the next version and the version after that, you will still be reliant on MX whereas most other designers will be on the latest version making much more sophisticated movie files.

XFM

you had better start learning how to hand code actionscript.
    That would be a lot easier if there was a beginners mode instead of just tool tips (code hints) that always appear directly over the code.
    Are there problems with uninstalling and then reinstalling mx or just installing mx and using either one.

Inspector General
    i was bummed at losing normal mode too... but really it is for the best. sure you may have to check the help files a few times, but if you make a few movies... it will sink in and you will be better off.
    it really isn't that hard to type:

on(press){
    play();
    }

by typing the script out you really really gain an understanding of the proper syntax and will be able to not only write better code but be able to interpret tutorials, books, and other flas very well.

also, there is some bad news about tellTarget...

Flashkit Jedi

Without trying to sound harsh, yet again, if you're serious about flash, get a book. It does work.

www.friendsofed.com

Or if not, MX will work fine alongside '04.

XFM