A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: importing EPS

importing EPS

Hey guys,
    I have a map of the USA and i have isolated a path around the image. This is all in PSD. I tried saving this filled path as an eps in Photoshop but for some reason I get an error when i try and import the eps into Swift. Any suggestions would immensely appreciated.
    Thanks
    Don

the *.eps files that you're pulling from Photoshop are not the right kind. those are raster *.eps files.

you need vector *.eps. easiest way to do that is open the *.eps in Flash, then Modify > Bitmap > Trace.

then save that file as a newly made vector *.eps or *.ai and then import that into Swift3D.

hope that helps

yarr

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Thanks for the reseponse. So does that mean there is no way I can export a path that i created in photoshop directly to Swift3d? You mentioned that i'd have to open up Flash first. Is there any way to just a direct import export from Photoshop. In other words, how can I create an image that is directly importable into Swift. Thank you again for your time
    Sincerely,
    Don

an import file for swift3d must be vector. it must contain NO outlines. gerbs is suggesting you break apart your bitmap in flash to get a vector format.
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

And just so there is no confusion...No, Swift3D can't use anything that has been directly exported from Photoshop alone.

In order to get a Swift3D-compatible .EPS file you have to export from a vector drawing program. This can be Flash, Illustrator, Freehand, CorelDRAW, whatever you've got. Here's the thing though, it has to be drawn in vectors as well. This means that you either have to use an automated command to 'trace' the bitmap which converts a raster image to vectors, or you need to use the drawing tools native to the program to recreate the image by basically tracing over it in another layer.

It was also suggested that you use only fills and no outlines, lines or strokes...whatever the program you are working in calls them. This is because lines will import, but they get imported as many small segments rather than one single extruded shape.

Some other useful bits to know are that if you are working in Flash, any layer designated as a guide layer won't export with your .EPS file so you can keep layers in there that contain elements for reference or whatever without having them export with the final image.

Objects that are on separate layers will import as separate objects. The same is true for groups. If you had a map of the United States with all the states individually grouped on the same layer they would all import into Swift3D as individual objects inside of a single group.

Hopefully that will clear up any confusion regarding importing .EPS files into Swift3D.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..