A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: another font problem

another font problem

Hi

I'm using Flash MX (not 2004) on a PC and i'm having a problem with the way that a certain font is not displaying when viewed on a Mac with OSX.

The font in question is Akzidenz Grotesk BE which is a PostScript Metrics font and it's used in a dynamic text field.

When the swf is viewed in IE on Mac it just defaults to Times.

I tried clicking the character button in the fla and setting it to export all characters and i also tried putting all the characters in a text field just off the stage so it won't be seen at run-time, but neither of these have solved the problem.

I've read through a lot of threads in this section that deal with fonts but i haven't seen one that deals with this particular problem.

If you want to see the site it's here - http://www.christophe-meier.com - when the movie has loaded click on the link "IDENTITE VISUELLE" and you'll see the words in the large black rectangle at the top of the page - when i looked at the site this morning with the client it was still displaying in the Times font.

has anyone got any ideas about what the problem could be ?

thanks.

Please check to see if 'device fonts' is selected. It sounds as a problem with the embedding of the font, unrelated to PC or MAC.

hi

well, the device fonts button doesn't show ...

I've attached a screen shot of the properties box
    Attached Images Attached Images

can you upload a sample file showing this problem?

ok here it is

to get to the text field in question you have to go to frame 207 in the main timeline and click in the CategoryNavs layer
    This will highlight an invisible clip in the top left corner - double-click this to open it and you see two circles with crosses in appear in the top left corner - double-click the one called "blackTopBlock" to edit it - then click in frame 15 of layer 3 to highlight the dynamic text box and see its properties.

I though that this was a Mac/PC problem because i saw the site this morning on a Mac and there was the font problem - i guess i need to see it on someone else's PC !
    Attached Files Attached Files

break the fonts. click (ctrl + b) twice in flash, if in html, save it as jpeg.
    certain browsers only support certain sets of fonts ...verdana, arial and times r jus one of them.
    fionify
    - God is a designer-

hi

... if I do that I won't be able to use the font for dynamic text fields - and it has to be dynamic text

We downloaded your fla and replaced the font with a different font and it worked correctly. As we do not have this font on our system, we also see your live version in the Times font.

so does that mean i'm not embedding the font correctly? or is there some other problem - maybe with the font itself ?

Try with another font and see if you can see it from another computer. If not, that means that the font cannot be embeded.

ok I'll try that
    thanks