A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: should we be programmers or designers

The thing is that graphics has to do with art, and you can't learn how to be an artist, or how to make good design. It might come with experience, but If your not born with it, then you have problems.

Addicted To FruityLoops Studio FlashKid105's Avatar
    You will have problems at first, yeah. If you're like me, it should be real easy to design stuff.

^lol

Actually design is one thing that CAN be taught. Graphic Design follows strict rules, whether it be concerned with form, colour, typography, a number of things. If you stick to the rules you can design, easy as that. Your work may not be very interesting but hey

This is interesting.

I'm finding my problem is the other way round. My current job means I have to be a designer and a developer and it's not in a 'Jack of all trades' way. I work on pretty serious projects where the work has to be top-notch.

I'm not being big headed here btw, it's just that I've had interviews for other jobs where I've been told that I'll be a developer with a bit of design or a designer who knows a bit of development and, to me, that's not good enough.

I really enjoy programmimg (proper programing - application development, web application development, database design etc..) and then design work as well - my background is originaly in design.

I've been doing this for about 6 years now and what I'm finding is that, most of the jobs I'm going for that expect 5+ years experience expect you to specialize - but I don't want to do just 1 part of a project - I really enjoy being involved in all aspects of 'Building things' on computers.

I think it's definitely possible to be a good designer and a good developer at the same time. You might just find that you run into trouble when jobs only use half of your skills.

For the corporate world (ie. getting a job with this) you the preference is for you to be a better programmer/scripter/developer than designer. For smaller firms, or working for an ad agency, your design skills are more important than back end work.

Basically, you should have a working knowledge of both. It'll help you out in the end.

Originally posted by villain2
    For the corporate world (ie. getting a job with this) you the preference is for you to be a better programmer/scripter/developer than designer. For smaller firms, or working for an ad agency, your design skills are more important than back end work.

Basically, you should have a working knowledge of both. It'll help you out in the end.
    I thought it's the other way round. Bigger firms usually have diffrent departments so the designers need not take on many aspect of the projects assigned. For smaller firms, variety of skills is much appreciated as they do not want to bank in on another emplyee.
    fionify
    - God is a designer-

Being one of the main flash developers at my company, it is nice having a touch of simple design to go along with my coding skills. It definately helps us out a lot to have a designer with a BA in graphic design to keep us on the right track. Nice to recieve feedback from a credible source that only wants to help the company succeed.

My overall view on this subject is that when you get two different people specialized in design / coding, you will definately end up with a better product than 1 or 2 people with half of the both skills. The only problem is bridging the gap between functionality and design.

reading all the threads and thinking about the possibilities with programming just make me thirst for programming knowledge although I am a designer. But what really is programming and what can it do? Someone here said that programming and scripting are different. Is scripting sufficient for a multimedia designer. I hope someone will enlighten me on the differences more clearly.
    fionify
    - God is a designer-

white teeth: every designer needs to know how to script. If you have to put together a simple flash navigation, you need to know how the basics of flash work, and how to control a movieclip with buttons. An example of heavy actionscripting:
    www.instalogo.com

Originally posted by Kac
    white teeth: every designer needs to know how to script. If you have to put together a simple flash navigation, you need to know how the basics of flash work, and how to control a movieclip with buttons. An example of heavy actionscripting:
    www.instalogo.com
    'Thanks..I know abt scripting. but what is programming what can it do?
    fionify
    - God is a designer-

tween >> design
    getURL >> script
    generate the URL dynamic >> programming

is that so? haha maybe...