A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Logo Design Today

Logo Design Today

I would like to get some of your idea's about logo design today. Is gradation acceptable? If so, should I make a solid version? What role does typography play? And in a world now that changes and reinvents brands so rapidly, how important is creating a logo that stands the test of time when you can always build upon your logo (ie: Burger King, Pepsi, UPS, etc.)

I would love to hear what designer are doing new, and share some ideas.

Depending on delivery (print/web, etc.) gradients are acceptable. Typography is always important. As far as meeting the test of time, who knows what Coca Cola thought when they came up with their's but it has definitely stood the test of time.

You should always try to do a read on a black/white version. And by that I mean strictly black and white no greys. If it reads well that way you can always add the bells and whistles later.
    Last edited by phacker; 11-19-2004 at 03:13 PM.
    Click here to visit Scooter's World, the Chihuahua/Pekinese who thinks she is a Doberman, and has the soul of a true "artiste". Computer graphics, animation, logos, mascots (Vector work a specialty.).

heres my .02 cents

I think logo design of today still many of the traditional rules and requirements of yesteryear...

I think it is VERY important to not only BRAND yourself correctly..but to stick with it. Hard to get "brand loyalty" if your target audience cant or doesnt recognize your logo.

What I think this age has brought to logo design has "added" to it. Such as using more visual representaions, or off colors such as pastels or vibrant/neon colors. And as comes with age comes experience...our audience has become smarter (or at least accustomed to) alot of technology..making it easier to use that in branding. (MP3, Email, World Wide Web)

Typo is always a rule...will never change good typo is just good typo. If you want to grab someones attention..you would want to "animate" (not literally) the word(s) that you want the consumer to focus on. (Instead of having it all mono-size/color/face font.)

-whispers-

I do think gradients and other elements of modern design are acceptable, if your client has the budget for it, but the old rule of thumb is always going to be true I think, the simpler the better.

I've always gone with the rule of thumb too, as in if you shrink the logo down to the size of a thumbnail it should still be as effective as it would be on a billboard.

Gradients might be acceptable but off the top of my head I can't think of any good ones that use one.

I think you can put more detail in logos than you could before. People are moving away from two clour printing and are using full colour as digital processes are become cheaper.

The logos at http://www.gablu.biz/logo-portfolio.html are a good example. They don't have gradients as such but have shadows/shading etc that you mighn't have seen a few years ago.

Also, it's a little off the point but I just read an interview with the designer of the FedEx logo.

It's short but interesting

http://www.thesneeze.com/mt-archives/000273.php

Cos, thanks for sharing that interview, it was great.
    Click here to visit Scooter's World, the Chihuahua/Pekinese who thinks she is a Doberman, and has the soul of a true "artiste". Computer graphics, animation, logos, mascots (Vector work a specialty.).

"cosgrove80", nice links, the logo's at http://www.gablu.biz/logo-portfolio.html are a great example of a new style of design. A insightful interview with Lindon Leader too.

Has anyone also noticed how more frequently we're see dimension in logos?

www.bk.com
    www.fritolay.com (scroll through there different brands, a lot of curves, but highlights to represent bevels and elements just pop out)

ford
    BMW
    GE
    Pepsi
    Although they have flat and traditional logos, they all have built upon them adding dimension to their respective logo. Each of them rarely ever uses their flat versions when they don't have too. I'm curious if they would have added that dimension in the original if they had to do it all over again.

I'm also willing to bet that each of those companies above went against their identity standards manual. But thats ok.

- Ben

There's really no restrictions on what you can do nowadays, it's just a matter of money to pay for advanced printing.

Companies like British Telecom are adopting logos that not only contain gradients and variable opacity but that are designed to be animated and to be identified in various forms and states.

Originally posted by aversion
    There's really no restrictions on what you can do nowadays, it's just a matter of money to pay for advanced printing.

Companies like British Telecom are adopting logos that not only contain gradients and variable opacity but that are designed to be animated and to be identified in various forms and states.
    links?.. like to have visual reference on this please! =)

my print skills are "KAKA"..so any ideas, motivation and just plain old good design is ALWAYS a plus to look at...

-whispers-

bt

aversion, I was digging around the BT site, and I'm liking that animation their doing with the logo.