A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: photoshop 7 interface/different screen resolutions

photoshop 7 interface/different screen resolutions

I've made an interface in PS7..it's very texturey with loads of rounded corners and shadows....i made it with my screen reosultion @ 1280x1076 and that's resolution i'm optimizing my flash movie for.(MX2004pro) Looks great when when viewed at that resolution...but if i look at it with 1076x768 looks grainy as hell..i understand that it will inrease in size..but does the quality have to go down so much?...this is the first interface i've attempted in PS7..building the rest in flash on the layers above...i've posted an unfinished jpeg of it so you get the jist....can anyone help me out with a solution?..thnx

p.s. sorry if this issue has been covered already...i don't post questions without extensively browsing the threads.........
    Attached Images Attached Images
    computers are to design, as microwaves are to cooking - Milton Glaser

wow..i've never had no reply at all....or a "hot thread"..... i suppose it's best to optimize the backdrop for 1024x768..as that is the most common screen resolution...anyone using 800x600 prolly ain't my demographic ...and i guess it will just get a bit smaller, should people with brains, who have 1280x1024 see it..thanks anywayzzzzzz

Only use bitmaps at their original pixel dimension, other wise they may get distorted.

About 60 % has 1024x768 and 35% 800x600 the last time I checked the statistics ( whis is not the resolution, but merely the pixel dimension of the screen ).

-Pelle Piano
    // Image Gallery
    www.studiobild.com
    // Photo Blog
    http://talesofthepixel.blogspot.com

It sounds like you're letting bitmaps in your flash movie resize with the browser. You really can't do this and expect bitmaps to look good. Either create your interface in vectors (you'll be surprised what you can do with them) or make sure all your bitmaps are at a fixed size.

There are still a good 40% of people with 800x600 resolutions, so if you're aiming your site at a general audience you should design for that, 1024x768 is a fair resolution if you're aiming at tech savvy people.

thanks for the reply...(new webby looks hot pelle)....but all i know is that i made this interface in PS7 and saved it as a jpeg , then imported it to flash.........and it looks like crap at lower screen resolutions.....how do i go about using vectors, or setting bitmaps at fixed size?....sorry for the ignorance...just new to the idea i guess

The bitmaps will resize if your SWF resizes. Your SWF will resize if you set its dimensions as percentages. Setting width and height as pixels will 'fix' the SWF. It won't resize with the browser window of course but you can't have both, bitmaps just don't look good if they're resized on the fly.

For vectors look at illustrator, xara x or freehand. There are many vector packages around. I find that there's little I can't achieve with vectors for an interface that I couldn't achieve with bitmaps.

Having said that flash interfaces which scale with the browser are not thought to be a good idea in general. There are advanced techniques that allow a flash movie to 'flow' when the page is resized, like HTML can, but the elements do not scale to the page, just re-adjust.