A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Apple iTunes is 'too expensive'

Hybrid View

Apple iTunes is 'too expensive'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4065539.stm

It's not just Apple though, everybody else charges 79p - MSN even charge 99p! So, in Apple's defence, that's fair enough. But, against Apple, the rest of Europe is getting a much better deal, as is the USA - it's the same old problem I have with our money. If we can just change over to the Euro then we won't have this problem!

But, like I said in an earlier thread, I consider 79p a great price, much cheaper than buying the CD.

reading that was like trying to figure out who is on first.

Which?
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

Señor member
    I still think online music is overpriced.

There's no physical product to sell or ship and yet if you go into some high street shops (yes, here in the UK) like Musiczone you can buy albums for £6-8 anyway and get the cd and album art as a physical product so I still don't really view 99p (or a tenner for a 10 track album) as anywhere near a bargain really.
    Company, Meet Creative
    ------------------------
    welcomebrand

Señor member
    Originally posted by Covenent
    Haven't you two had this discussion before?
    absolutely ... I've not changed my mind and seeing the Libertines album on CD in town the other day for £5.97 has hardly changed my mind about downloads at 99p a track!
    Company, Meet Creative
    ------------------------
    welcomebrand

It's changed since then, now it's being passed onto the EU to decide what should happen.

79p a song is not bad. If you go into HMV or Virgin and buy a chart CD, it will be £4-6 more expensive than on iTunes. If songs where different prices, then it defeats the point of having 79p songs.

Señor member
    Originally posted by asheep_uk
    It's changed since then, now it's being passed onto the EU to decide what should happen.

79p a song is not bad. If you go into HMV or Virgin and buy a chart CD, it will be £4-6 more expensive than on iTunes. If songs where different prices, then it defeats the point of having 79p songs.
    I sort of agree that it should be passed onto the EU to sort but then by the same token, we should just stop tossing around and join the Euro then retaillers would have no excuse to rip us off by charging different prices!
    Company, Meet Creative
    ------------------------
    welcomebrand

Originally posted by jamble7000
    I sort of agree that it should be passed onto the EU to sort but then by the same token, we should just stop tossing around and join the Euro then retaillers would have no excuse to rip us off by charging different prices!
    I quite agree. If we just get our act together and sort it, it will defiantly work out for the better.

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    Enough of your Eurocentric, selling England by the Pound views! It's 99p, for Christ's sake. Either buy or don't buy, but don't moan about it like old women in the pension line.

Yes, the old 'exchange rate did it' excuse would be gone, but wouldn't you rather pay a few pence extra for your tunes and still be in the enviable position of being able to visit almost every other country in the world with a massively strong currency in your pocket?
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

I still think online music is overpriced.

There's no physical product to sell or ship ...
    This is the main reason I buy music online (more specifically, in iTunes). Yes, I might get it cheaper by going to a bargain shop and save a few dollars on the cd, but I much prefer sitting down 5 min before I walk out of the house, buying a few songs or cd's, transferring them to my ipod so i can just plug the ipod in the dock in my car and be off. IT SAVES TIME. Time = Money, therefore it saves money. Driving all the way to a store and back would take a big chunk of the savings in gas money, notwithstanding the value I place on my time

My Options:
    Drive to Best Buy and buy a Cd - spend about 30 min getting there, finding it, buying it and getting back
    Buy it on Amazon - save some time but still pay a large amount of money for shipping
    Buy it on iTunes - save time and save cost of shipping, cost/time spent driving to best buy.

From my point of view, iTunes is the best value for my needs. Yes, i could probably get the songs a little cheaper at a different online music store, but iTunes works great with my iPod and i'm willing to spend the extra $.20 for ease of use/saving time.
    Bill Erickson: resume | portfolio
    1 | 2 | 3 | 4
    Great Designs for $100