A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Dynamic Content

Dynamic Content

OK , I make a site for a client, how can i have them update it? To where they can just go to a site, that has a text box on it, they type in what they want their site to say , and then they submit it , and its on their site? Is that possible? Or do they HAVE to make a text file themselves and then upload via FTP? Im not a company, im just a dude, that makes sites and wants to be able to make things easier! Thanks for the help!

OK, there are 3 paths to follow:
    1) A text-file, in the format &varname=value&
    ( this is fairly simple, but requires a computer-literate client, so they do not leave out the & signs and so they can operate FTP without error.

2) XML format- to me it seems more obvious, more flexible, but to a non-coding client, it will seem daunting. On the other hand, if they can handle writing XML, they must surely be able to handle FTPing the file!

3 The best way- find out which server-side/CGI script your host supports: PHP, ASP. and .NET are common, then you can make a admin area for the client to input and update the stuff. You can save the data as either txt, XML or in a database. you can find numerous tutorials on content managers in the tutorials section here at flashkit, or try out the PHP ones at www.flash-db.com
    Hariyemadzisawira nhaka yedu! Down the SCUD and win!
    I'm too lazy to read Private Messages.

thanks for the help, ive been trying to figure this stuff out, to include the server side/CGI scripting, it will be a bit more expensive. Do you know of any hosts that are inexpensive? Thanks for the help.

like how many mysql databases would i need?