A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: PLZ HELP! -->Linking between .htm files

PLZ HELP! -->Linking between .htm files

Ok. I've made a main page for my website and it contains several buttons that will link to seperate .htm files that I've created in dreamweaver.
    Each .htm is made of one basic .swf file.
    IE. Links.htm contains links.swf and that's all.

The problem I'm having is that I can't seem to put in the correct actionscript in flash to make it so that the "links" button on my main page opens up the corresponding links.htm page in my browser.

I've tried using the "getURL" command, and typing in the path of the file as found on my hard drive, but to no avail.

Also how could I make the page open up in a smaller height and width???

I need to have this project completed by monday afternoon, and I'm in serious need to get it finished. PLEASE HELP ME!!! LOL

Thanks!

anyone?? anyone?

Banned
    First obviously, if your linking to your hard drive, it won't work online.
    Second getURL is what you should be using, with the appropriate full path.
    code:

on(release){
    getURL("http://www.yourserver.com/yourlinks.html", "_blank");
    }

Obviously replace "yourserver.com" & "yourlinks.html" with your appropriate names. If you use "_blank" as a second parameter, then the links page should open up in a new window. If you use "_self" instead, then the links page should open up in the same window in which resides your main movie, forcing the user to hit his back button to return to your main navigation.

If you want to open up a new window but set at some precise size and with or without some window features, you'll have to open up a new popup window.

Visit http://www.flash-db.com/PopUp/ , and create the window at the size and with the features you want or don't want. Generate the code. And then simply copy & paste the generated code on your Flash button.

Piece of cake!

Hey there! Thank you for your response..

k, the thing is is that I'm supposed to hand this website in, burned to cd, so that my teacher can look at how I've structured everything, open up my main page, and have it open up the other pages as if it was online.
    This is why I've been rackin my brain trying to make the buttons on my main page open up the other htm files.

Also, I heard there are scripts that are downloadable from the macromedia website, that allows a check on the user's flash version, so that if they don't have flash, or need a different version, it will install it for them before they can view the site. If so where is this? I've lokoed but have not ben able to find.

Thanks for that link as well, it will come in handy!

Banned
    It won't install it but only re-direct the user to the download site. To download it and install it is still the user's choice.

http://www.macromedia.com/support/fl...oyment_readme/

Originally posted by oldnewbie
    First obviously, if your linking to your hard drive, it won't work online.
    Second getURL is what you should be using, with the appropriate full path.
    code:

on(release){
    getURL("http://www.yourserver.com/yourlinks.html", "_blank");
    }

I think if you do this like

code:

on(release){
    getURL("yourlinks.html", "_blank");
    }

It should work online / offline Just make sure all the files are on the same directory
    Cheers, KGTRIP