A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: freelance noob needs help.

freelance noob needs help.

Ok I'm bidding on a project that will contain a picture gallery (a static number of pix on a rotating script for the front page that are linked to the gallery), updated specials (weekly) for the store, a message board, and some random media, ie: videos and stuff like that. It's more of a superficial site explaining a little bit about the company and displaying some of the shop's abilities as well as the team of reps photos and stories of being in the field. I did the interface already and put a ton of art into it, everything looks cool, but I don't know what to charge. The guy is wet as all over the art, but I can't see charging him 1500$ for a UI. I also will be in charge of hosting the site as well as full time moderating of the m/b and the updates and maintanance. Can anybody help me tell this guy what I should be charging?

Have you not already quoted a price before starting?

You need to get the client to sign a contract and a pay a percentage deposit too.

If I were you I would set an hourly rate and/or a basic project price. Buyt without seeing the work and hours put into this I wouldn't be able to give a ballpark figure.
    Keep it rural.

You will be surpried at how little $1500 will look like when you try to live from this type of work. And how many people will try to weasel out of paying what you thought was an extrememly generous concession on your part. Not to mention the people who just plain want your time free.

If you're more learning than producing on the clock, that's one thing. If the time is solid, bill for it. ...or at least try!

Ed

Thanks guys. After I went through pricing everyting I told him I could do, it came out like this: 50$ per page for 25 pages, 100$ for a message board custom art to match the site, 100$ for picture gallery, 200 for hosting and domain registration for 2 yrs, and 300$ for art work in UI and completed UI, umm....I don't remember what else. I also marked everything up 10% in the formal proposal so I would have some room to negotiate. The total came out to like 2450 and change. Does that sound about right?

O, and I haven't started on it, just finished the proposal saturday night about midnight.

I hope you didn't agree to moderate and update this thing for two year for $200!!

What about copy? Are you writing the text, or are they? That takes a lot of time.

Do you know what the 25 pages are? Are the graphics and photos available now?

You've bid for 50 hours of work, at best. Do you think all this will take more than that?

(I do!)

Ed

I put stipulations in the proposal for updates and maintenance. Actually, I put stipulations in the proposal for all kinds of stuff. Any sort of expansion or maintenance at all is going to cost money. The 2400 is simply to launch. I also have seen the current site and there is only 8 pages. I don't think he has the text written yet, but I'll work with him on that. The bottom line here is that I have a very small portfolio so there is not much ground for me to stand on when it comes to selling someone.

I estimated a max of 80 hours, and told him I'd have it up in three weeks from the first payment. 1/2 to start and 1/2 at finish. That gives me a little room to work with. I know I can do this without spending any time learning, it's all work. The UI is finished too, so there is not much else to do other than install phpbb2 and buy a cheap gallery creator. Any ideas on that one?