A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: please critique

please critique

this is an all flash site I'm doing for a chiropractic/etc place. Just generic preloaders for now, and I'll need to add sound. Please let me know how I may improve it if need be.

http://home.centurytel.net/pixelpusher/cafeoflife/

Thanks!

Nice navigation you got there! Not too keen on the blurred images- especially on the left side where the nav overlaps the image. If you're going to use a photo as the background, then I'd suggest you don't blur it. Also, your logo looks quite bland in that yellow color. Why not try a gradient or a drop shadow or something to liven it up a bit?

actually, I thought the blurred image was a nice touch...i think it would look funny if you didnt have it blurred, I would add some music and sound effects..im not sure, since was this a small movie, but did you have a preloader?
    If you kill me, Ill be dead!
    www.powerfuze.com

"Do you know any slow or special people?" -special ed (crank yankers)

Thanks for the the replys guys.

I've been getting a 50/50 reaction to the blurred back ground. I felt that left unblurred, the bg image competed with the content too much. There are preloadaers, but some ppl have reported problems with them, so i gotta chck that out.

I agree about the comment about the logo, i didn't design it, but a gradient and a dropsdw is a great idea.

I'll be adding some warm and fuzzy ambient music.

UPDATE:

http://home.centurytel.net/pixelpusher/cafeoflife/

I've added sounds, proper preloaders, and made some cosmetic changes. I also added a basic html "splash page", just in case someone is absolutely against (perish the thought!) downloading a flash player. Crucial info about the businesses will still be available to them. I'm also looking for feedback from dial up users if possible.

Hi ingofutz

Your site has a nice atmosphere. I have only a few little suggestions:

Some images in the gallery do not look very well. If they are only place holders - forget it! If not, you should try to get some with a perfect quality to provide a better (first) impression of the café.

I don't like the menu point "Menu". It's lacking images and the centered text differs from the other pages. I would also suggest to change colours. Orange, yellow or green goes better with "food" for my taste. I wouldn't eat anything that has this blue colour :-) Why not using blue for "Your Servers" which is a more business like content.

However, all in all good work!

Henry
    www.jumpingjokes.com

I am definatly going to suggest to them that they allow me to aquire some better images. They are just placement for now hopefully.

As for blue being unappetitizing, where you seriously unaware that the "cafe" thing is just a metaphor for the actual services offered there?

Hi

Sorry I didn't get the metaphor and I have only a lame excuse: I'm not a native English speaker. When it comes to word plays usually it takes a bit longer for me...

However, to be honest I didn't read the texts carefully.

I blush with shame...

Henry
    www.jumpingjokes.com

haha

my first guess was that english was not your native tongue. If it was, i was going to have a frank disscussion with the client about their brand identity.

no worries

really nice, and cool nav.

i also like the blurred image
    the yellow in the logo isnt that good, but i assume thats their logo and you cant change it?

Also the yellow in the nav is a bit pale i think

Als when you mouseover an item it turns a bit too white i think

but its a great site anyway

Very nice, clean and user friendly site. I agree with the comments on the logo. Try giving and emboss or shadow - to match the rest of the site. Everything elso look pretty good. Do you have an online portfolio? I'd like to see more of your work.

~ Brian

I would like to show you more of my work, but the online portfolio is still in the mental planning stage unfortunatly. This site is actually being built for that reason, im doing it for free.

Beautiful

-Nafetski

I think it looks good.

One thing that might be nice is to change the colour of the scroll bars so that they are similar in colour to your buttons (like you have done with the backgrounds)

good luck.

I would have to agree that the pics in the image gallery are blurred. The font is crisp and sharp on my PC. The blurred pic is good. Why not try to sream the music instead of loading it since a 56k modem takes to long. nice work overall.
    Any programming language is at its best before it is implemented and used.

Mad Cat

Technical matter

When i click on music off button the CPU usage becomes in it's peak which slows the performance of the site and the machine, i highly suggest that u fix that to complete the squeeky clean perfection of the site!

like it

and like the house too

good work

Main Coordinator
    I like it. Good Job!