A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Need Help, Will Pay... CD Presentation using PDFs

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    Check this OLD article I wrote.

http://www.beyondflash.com/content/ch03.htm

In Flash 5 you could have spaces in your argument to EXEC so you could do a LOT more than you could with Flash MX and later versions.

The only reason to use the proxy tool with Flash 5 would be to get rid of the ugly DOS box. With Flash 5 you can pass arguments to the proxy.exe and it will pass them along to the BAT file so you can use one copy of PROXY and one BAT file to do all your work. If you don't care about seeing the DOS box appear then you can just follow the example in the article.

Read the rest of the stuff at beyondflash.com too, there's a lot of stuff there that will help you with Flash 5 sutff.

Thanks for the quick reply.
    I'll check out the article and try it out.

Northcode,
    I had everything working fine when I had the pdf file in the same directory as the .exe file. I went one step further and add the "DOSTART" and everything worked great, even on a Win 7 machine. Now the trouble starts, I want to put the pdf files in a folder in the director, but when I add "files\charts.pdf" to the action script it changes it to "files\\harts.pdf". And then I get an error. I tried several different charactors in the script and it won't change them. just when I use the "\". Is this a bug or is there another charactor used ?

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    You need to use "files\\charts.pdf" because the \ in quotes is treated as a special character. It marks the start of an escape sequence. You can read all the dirty details in String Literals vs. String Values on my blog.

WOW, it works now. It is amazing how something so little can cause such a road block.

Thanks