A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firefox or Opera

Firefox or Opera

Right now im looking for a new browser. I have been hearing a lot of good things about firefox but have had some people say that opera is even better than that. So who do you think is the best??????

Señor member
    Firefox baby, Opera just looks a bit nasty.
    Company, Meet Creative
    ------------------------
    welcomebrand

Addicted To FruityLoops Studio FlashKid105's Avatar
    I'd definitely get Firefox. I've been happy with it ever since I downloaded it and I wouldn't use any other browser.

Señor member
    Originally posted by FlashKid105
    I'd definitely get Firefox. I've been happy with it ever since I downloaded it and I wouldn't use any other browser.
    neither would I to be honest. I've tried to switch to something other than IE so many times in the past and tried most of 'em but always ended up with IE again. Not this time!

All those extensions, the tabbed browsing, the themes, the correct and speedy rendering of CSS, why would anyone use IE anymore?!
    Company, Meet Creative
    ------------------------
    welcomebrand

firefox

Originally posted by jamble
    why would anyone use IE anymore?!

There are a few sites out there that use stuff that Firefox can't handle, such as ActiveX controls. Other than that, I think that the fact that you can open sites in new windows or tabs is very nice.

Originally posted by FlashKid105
    There are a few sites out there that use stuff that Firefox can't handle, such as ActiveX controls. Other than that, I think that the fact that you can open sites in new windows or tabs is very nice.
    That's cause Firefox has ActiveX controls turned off..

Firefox is the best Browser out there now..

I agree.

I'd love to see Netscape bite the dust someday. I totally cannot stand that browser.

jtnw_tmp
    Netscape is based off of Mozilla...

jtnw

True,

That doesn't nullify the fact that I hate it, though. For one, Netscape takes a long time to load pages.

maxthon and firefox.. I use both.. firefox has some good things but not everything they say about it is true. It might be faster on some types of sites but on others its far slower and doesn't render correctly and some sites don't even work at all.. granted firefox is following wc3 better than IE but as long as most people are using IE there will still be a lot of sites that work better on IE. I use Maxthon which is a tabbed skinnable version of IE.. Firefox is cool yeah.. but people who would take a bullet for it are just annoying..

Originally posted by flashpenguin
    maxthon and firefox.. I use both.. firefox has some good things but not everything they say about it is true. It might be faster on some types of sites but on others its far slower and doesn't render correctly and some sites don't even work at all..

You can't really blame that on Firefox, though.

Why not try opera and decide for yourself? Is this really a tough decision that you need to ask the internet about?

You can't really blame that on Firefox, though.
    true.. I'm not saying it's mozilla's fault.. they're just following the w3c, but until there's a better cooperation on the w3c standards (which i doubt if microsoft has it's way) you still need to keep your IE compatible browser around.. Maxthon has tabs too, and it is skinnable and there isn't a person here that can honestly tell me that firefox is actually faster than maxthon.. those are rumors..

You know what I do love about firefox? the download manager and the find text feature.. way usefull.. but ie is not my ex girlfriend

internet explorer
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

They still need to tackle a few issues if they want Firefox to go mainstream (i.e. corporate America, most joe six-packs learn about computing from work.)

1.) Security certificates. Not only for dl'ing FF, but for extensions. Pretty soon we're going to see adware/spyware disguised as an extension. True, it won't come off of Moz's servers, but "click here to install ____ for firefox" is surely on the way.

2.) Extension awareness. A lot of the features that make FF worthwhile are in extensions. (Tabbrowser, Adblock, etc.) Non-savvy users aren't going to check them out unless someone points them there.

3.) Fix plug-in installs or create optional download bundles (w/Flash, w/Quicktime, w/ Sun Java). To this day I have to go to MM's site to grab Flash manually. The plug-in finder won't find it. Since FF doesn't (I believe) use the default MS JVM, you need an 'official' plug-in like Sun's for Java...most 'average' users don't have that.

4.) Fix Flash playback. It's noticably slower, this annoys me to no end.

5.) Online tutorial of all of FF's features as a 'first launch' page, or as an option at the end of the install. Again, things like tabbed browsing, pop-up blocking, the new plug-in finder and RSS aren't intuitive to non-savvy users. They need their hands held. Captivate is cheap, I'll do one for under $5k.
    Last edited by PAlexC; 01-03-2005 at 12:40 AM.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

Firefox all the way
    |"Silence teaches you how to sing"

Just installed FireFox. Quite Nice so far.... had to install some plug-ins but all is well.

No I can't do it by tommorow.. 1stbite's Avatar
    I was a die hard MSIE user until I tried out FF 0.8

I've tried allsorts of PC browsers, and none have been able to hold my attention for longer than a couple of weeks before i switched back to MSIE.

I blame nightwish for making me an FF addict

FF all the way, but i agree FF needs to make more of an effort to make it more usable to the general web user...
    and in a blink of an eye...
    Media and Multimedia Courses in Nottingham - First Diploma | IMedia | HND | Foundation Degrees | BA(Hons) Top Ups.

Give a Twit a chance!

FF is the way

FF is the best browser i have ever used, you should give it a try
    There is only one way to tell the truth and that's to tell no one.