A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Firefox or Opera

Originally posted by PAlexC
    4.) Fix Flash playback. It's noticably slower, this annoys me to no end.
    unfortunately, that would be almost impossible. The "speed" that flash runs at in firefox is intrinsic to how firefox works. Getting it faster would be feasible , I would think, but getting it upto IE speed would mean a redesign of the core parts of FF.

But yeah, its a pain in the a$$.
    This information is subject to change without notice and
    is provided "as is" with no warranty.

i'd choose opera, smaller, faster and with more features than firefox

btw, could someone explain the benefit of tabbed browsing in firefox? i've used it a bit for testing and can't see much of an advantage of the tabs over having separate windows in the taskbar. do I need an extension to make it useful? as it is it seems very limited compared to the MDI (multiple document interface) in opera which as well as tabs provides a load of other window handling functionality - restore closed pages, duplicate a page history into another tab, create links between tabs etc...

I found the only way to get the real benefit of tabbed browsing in FF is to grab some of the extensions for it. SingleWindow, Tabbrowser, etc.

On its own, FF does very little with its tabbed functionality. It's rather disappointing out of the box.

Opera's a fine browser, it just never got the push behind it. Part of the reason is that you had to either a.) pay for it or b.) live with ads. (Do they still do that?)

Fox is going to gain ground as more extensions are written, therein lies the advantage.

From a user standpoint, Firefox needs work, but remember it's in its infancy, Opera's been kickin' around and hearing from its community a little longer.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

Running Plodding & Limping SpockBert's Avatar
    I was gonna start a new thread about a particular firefox music player plugin but seeing as theres one here....

Anybody had a go on this: https://addons.update.mozilla.org/ex...nfo.php?id=219

firefox vx opera?

is that really a competition? i like my browser sleek, fast and unhindered by 'features' that i don't need.

opera is either pay or put up with ads.. why it would be a viable choice is beyond me. firefox is fast and free.

nuff said.

i've used it a bit for testing and can't see much of an advantage of the tabs over having separate windows in the taskbar. do I need an extension to make it useful?
    because sometimes if you get like 8 browsers open you either can't read the names of each tab because they get so short or they group together if you have that function on. plus if you have 5 other programs open besides your 8 internet windows it just gets messy.. tabbed browsing keeps it simple and more manageable in my opinion..

I found the only way to get the real benefit of tabbed browsing in FF is to grab some of the extensions for it. SingleWindow, Tabbrowser, etc.

On its own, FF does very little with its tabbed functionality. It's rather disappointing out of the box.

Opera's a fine browser, it just never got the push behind it. Part of the reason is that you had to either a.) pay for it or b.) live with ads. (Do they still do that?)
    They still do the adverts, either a banner image in the top right of the browser or google text ads. if you choose the google text ads they're hardly noticable (about 30px high)

i like my browser sleek, fast and unhindered by 'features' that i don't need
    apart from it not having any features, why are you using firefox then?

I use firefox, it's pretty cool (Better than IE in the fact it doesn't crash all the time).
    I especially like the 'mouse gestures', they're cool and take like no time to get used to, if you haven't used them b4 you can scroll through tabs, zoom in/out etc, close tabs, open new ones etc

Awesome!

Originally posted by catbert303
    if you choose the google text ads they're hardly noticable (about 30px high)
    That's about 30 pixels too many.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

I would never change my FF

Ever since i started using FF i feel confortable to go to the internet and browse to my hart content. with any other browser i feel unEasy while on the net. The things that worries me most the little popups that pop while in any other browser they act more like regular tab that you have to keep on closing so i rather have FF tabs than popUps tabs.
    Post no bills

and you dug this up to say that?

[B]They still need to tackle a few issues if they want Firefox to go mainstream (i.e. corporate America, most joe six-packs learn about computing from work.)

1.) Security certificates. Not only for dl'ing FF, but for extensions. Pretty soon we're going to see adware/spyware disguised as an extension. True, it won't come off of Moz's servers, but "click here to install ____ for firefox" is surely on the way.
    Firefox blocks all site but the Mozilla site from installation extensions by default. If you want to allow another site to install extensions than you have to manually allow it to. Same goes for themes.

I would go for firefox.

I used to be a big fan of opera, but I really don't like the new versions, far too cluttered, even when you reduce the toolbars down to the essentials only.

The advertising banner is also annoying, unless you're willing to pay up for the full version.

Originally posted by Covenent
    Firefox blocks all site but the Mozilla site from installation extensions by default. If you want to allow another site to install extensions than you have to manually allow it to. Same goes for themes.
    but of course there's goin to be adware and malware asking to be install and those that are stupid enought to accepted should be infected, but overall if you want to be free of must adware or spyware this is the browser to use. FF rules
    Post no bills