A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please criticize our site

Insomnia

Please criticize our site

Hello everyone,

I’m a design student currently developing this website http://www.islamicarchitecture.org - The site theme was created by the Admin when he first published the site; I have made several modifications to the site and will be doing more work on it. I noticed many people here have provided some great feedback to others and I would like you all to go-ahead and criticize the website, constructively, based on the Technical use of the navigation, the content structure, design aesthetics, and interactivity.

Thank you

http://www.islamicarchitecture.org

well the site is quite nice , i like it...

the only thing that i don't like is that it's aligned to the left !
    why can't u align the site to the midle? -- it will give the site a better feeling... --- but this is only my opinion...

anyway... GOOD WORK, FINE SITE ;]
    cheers

Insomnia
    Originally posted by wbwd
    well the site is quite nice , i like it...

the only thing that i don't like is that it's aligned to the left !
    why can't u align the site to the midle? -- it will give the site a better feeling... --- but this is only my opinion...

anyway... GOOD WORK, FINE SITE ;]
    cheers
    You are not eh first person to suggest the site to be set in middle of screen. I will consider that.

Thank you for your feedback.

There's nothing to consider, it should be centered - that frame is a beaut - wonderful first impression, but loses its strength stuck to the left like that.
    There's not much more to criticize - it's clean cut, eye-pleasing, well organized...
    Nice work there.

Insomnia
    Originally posted by chero
    There's nothing to consider, it should be centered - that frame is a beaut - wonderful first impression, but loses its strength stuck to the left like that.
    There's not much more to criticize - it's clean cut, eye-pleasing, well organized...
    Nice work there.
    Thank you all. I removed the right border, and now its centered.
    Im wondering if i should be doing something about all the white space on right/left side of the screen.

Im wondering if i should be doing something about all the white space on right/left side of the screen.
    I don't think it poses a problem, looks fine by me. Plus this way it takes care of the 800by600 people (if any left).

now it looks realy good

Long live the CENTERED SITES

Insomnia
    now it looks realy good

Long live the CENTERED SITES
    Thanks all!

good luck in the future man...
    keep up the good work

Insomnia
    good luck in the future man...
    keep up the good work
    I'm thinking of adding a Greeting card section on the site to allow people to send cards to others. Do you think what would be a good idea? Do you know of a good script that could be used for that?

Thanks!

nice and clean site but i have to disagree about the white bg. i think that there is to much white, the white on the sides if fine but try adding a colored bg in the middle behind the content to give the site more depth, more color, right now the white is alot. try using a light shade of grey to bring out the pattern in the banner or a light cream/brown color to enhance the gold. as for the greeting cards, and not thoroughly going through the site and reading about wut the client is about, if u think this will make customers happy and makes the website more appealing, try it....if u dont get alot of response, all you gotta do is remove the file

Tracy

Insomnia
    Originally posted by Tracy981
    nice and clean site but i have to disagree about the white bg. i think that there is to much white, the white on the sides if fine but try adding a colored bg in the middle behind the content to give the site more depth, more color, right now the white is alot. try using a light shade of grey to bring out the pattern in the banner or a light cream/brown color to enhance the gold. as for the greeting cards, and not thoroughly going through the site and reading about wut the client is about, if u think this will make customers happy and makes the website more appealing, try it....if u dont get alot of response, all you gotta do is remove the file

Tracy
    I'm trying to apply a cream/gold colour *very light* to the middle section as you suggested but it will be major work, i tested it on ne page and it looks better actually, so you are right.

I think the GC will generate more traffic, only issue i do not want to use some freebie script, and im not sure whats best to use! If you have some experiance with Greeting card scripts please let me know.

Thank you.

PS: The server hosting the site was hammerd by DOS attacks for 3 days straight and went offline, its back to normal now.

hmm i dunno about the GC script, but i looked at ur site again, and its the same, still white?? and ur missing the graphic of idownloads. i like wut u did with the audio....very very nice

Insomnia
    hmm i dunno about the GC script, but i looked at ur site again, and its the same, still white?? and ur missing the graphic of idownloads. i like wut u did with the audio....very very nice
    No i just ran a test on one page (not published) to see what you mean. Like i said, it will take some major work to do - will get to it soon i hope!

Thanks

Insomnia

Heres the update!

Hey everyone! I did some updates, theres still work to be done, but please do comment on the new updates.

Please take a look http://www.islamicarchitecture.org/

Thanks so much!

Very nice. Tracy981 mentioned too white, I agree, I also agree with adding color but I'ld do it to the whole page(s) not just the middle. The middle is full you don't need to try to draw our attention to it....you got it already.

The only other obvious thing, (I'm sure you know) is the buttons at the bottom of all the pages cuts up your pages. Maybe if you made their width a bit smaller and the same they would fit on the pages. Most of those button have a lot of un-used space in the title of them anyway, Bookstore...........V Downloads.............V Education............V Palaces............V . As well as their sublinks.

Oh and is the option of playing all the 'Audio' at the same time mean to be that way? It's kinda cool but you need an electric guitar too... just kidding.

Lotsa content, good job.
    Sir Jake

hmm im not sure if u tested on a mac, but im ona amc, using safari and all the tables are not aligned and evreything on the bottom is cut up. u didnt change the white??? there is way to much white space, u need to add some color like a few members and myself have mentioned earlier....

Insomnia
    Originally posted by Sir Jake
    Very nice. Tracy981 mentioned too white, I agree, I also agree with adding color but I'ld do it to the whole page(s) not just the middle. The middle is full you don't need to try to draw our attention to it....you got it already.

The only other obvious thing, (I'm sure you know) is the buttons at the bottom of all the pages cuts up your pages. Maybe if you made their width a bit smaller and the same they would fit on the pages. Most of those button have a lot of un-used space in the title of them anyway, Bookstore...........V Downloads.............V Education............V Palaces............V . As well as their sublinks.

Oh and is the option of playing all the 'Audio' at the same time mean to be that way? It's kinda cool but you need an electric guitar too... just kidding.

Lotsa content, good job.
    Im working on changing the colors like Tracey said, its just gona take time, alot of pages on the site.

You said buttons at bottom ofpage are cut up? Im not sure i follow, could you explain? Where you on a PC or Mac, what browser?

(((update) Ok i think i knew what you mean, i made the Pull-down-menu width smaller, i noticed in (crapy netscape) it cuts the frame and now it does not. let me know if this is what you meant! thanks!))

The sound, i made it like that to play all at the same time or stop them, total control.
    Last edited by NEWUSER101; 02-02-2005 at 10:04 PM.

Insomnia
    hmm im not sure if u tested on a mac, but im ona amc, using safari and all the tables are not aligned and evreything on the bottom is cut up. u didnt change the white??? there is way to much white space, u need to add some color like a few members and myself have mentioned earlier....
    I dont have a mac! Could you send me a PRINT SCREEN image? or post it here? That would be great!

Im working on the white space, all the white outside the frame, on both sides will be changed to light cream! I know i should have done it before, but will get to it.

(UPDATE: WHITE SPACE IS GONE! let me know what you think )

The font im using is called "Trebuchet MS" and from what i understood came as a standard font on both PC and MAC's, is not not correct?
    Last edited by NEWUSER101; 02-02-2005 at 10:56 PM.