A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: 'Easy' Swift 3D question

dust

'Easy' Swift 3D question

I'm very new at Swift 3D and i've got a question I hope somebody can help me with.

I'm looking to create a rectangle (with curved edges ) that flips 180° and then loops. I want to texture each side with a different bitmap, but so far all I have been able to manage is applying the texture to both sides, with the back becoming a mirror of the front.

So you can visualise it, one side will have a logo, the other side will say 'Loading'.

Can somebody give me some direction? I've tried searching but theres not much on Swift yet.

Thanks.

two ways I'm thinking about.

One is a work around, the other is if you're using Swift3D v4.

First, the "cheating" way. I'd create one extrusion in the Extrusion editor in Swift3D v3 or v4 and use 8 points, then use the the round corner point tool, and convert the corners to round segments.

To keep it uniform, I'd use the same measurement for the corners... so if the top left corner was at (X,Y) (-0.150, 0.20) then the top right corner will be (0.150, 0.20). And the rest of the points will be as such.

Then, extrude, go back to the Scene Editor and then duplicate, and via the Top Scene editor, move the duplicate slightly in the Z-axis direction. That way, it's front face will be inside of the original extrusion, and the original extrusions front side will be just fine, and the back side will be hidden in the duplicate.

So, then from there, you can you can group them, and animate as such.

That's the "work-around"...

The other way is to create an extrusion as part of the workaround, or simple create a rounded rectangle in a vector program, save as an *.ai or *.eps, import into Swift3D, and then extrude and apply whichever bevel you wish.

Select the object, and go into Advanced Modeler. You can go into edit mesh mode, select one face, break apart that selection, and then apply to each face the image that you with to apply to that face, and then animate as you wish.

That's the other way.

There are perhaps some other ways that the Swift3D gurus can bring up. I just thought of these two quickly.

Hope that helps.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

dust
    Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to write that up gerbick, it really helped me out
    [small] ok dust