A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Community Project

Here is another perfect tutorial for making tile based games. it's for top view, side view and iso view.

http://www.tonypa.pri.ee/tbw/start.html
    visit my homepage -> ejected.de

Originally posted by lopez1_de
    Here is another perfect tutorial for making tile based games. it's for top view, side view and iso view.

http://www.tonypa.pri.ee/tbw/start.html

Nice tutorials, I don't know alot about coding, but I can generally follow the ideas of what's going on. I am very impressed by what you're doing with the Emarld Mine, and it's definitely applicable to this no matter what direction it gets taken.

My personal thought is that we should do this the way Kusco originally suggested and make this a side view platform type game. Iso, I think, is way too ambitious. It can be done, but for the amount of people interested in working on it at this point, it would put the entire thing way over our heads, or at the very least have us working for the next year just to come up with a finnished product.

Speaking of people who are willing to donate time, effort, etc............

This is good point to have a raise of hands, as to who is planning on working on this, and what their abilities are. I know there are plenty of lurkers following this thread(925 views as of this post), so if you've been thinking about it, why not jump on in.........

-J

Originally posted by zoranvedek
    My personal thought is that we should do this the way Kusco originally suggested and make this a side view platform type game.
    that means it should be a jump 'n run game?

that means it should be a jump 'n run game?

............climb, and fall as well. Think PitFall/Sonic/Donkey Kong/Kid Chameleon/ect.........

-J

I'll offer to lend a hand

the first things to do:

- what is the game about (story, how should it look)
    - what are the goals of this game (like collecting items, reach end of the level, running against time)
    - basic drawings

- which type of engine we want to use?
    this one is very nice and the best: http://www.strille.net/tutorials/part1_scrolling.php

we must port this to 3dfa

very hard work.

but if this works once, we are able to create wonderfull side scrolling games. it's very flexible.

but in the moment I don't really believe that we/I will manage this.

I have downloaded the example of the scrolling engine. It looks like I can bring this to 3dfa.

I'll give it a try tommorow. There is nothing really special in this code.

after trying it I must say you: no chance!

there are some things which 3dfa don't supports. These are the wrong words. 3DFA stops making SWF if it can't interpret some actionscript code.
    If there is any way to complete disable debugging in 3dfa it will run!

Everyone knows the for(){} loop like this:

PHP Code:
    // will show the letters 0 to 99
    for (i=0;i<100;i++) {

trace(i);

In flash you have another for loop. It's more like the Visual Basic .NET code:
    PHP Code:
    //for ... each in .NET
    For Each object In screen
        debug
    .print object.toString
    End 
    For 
    In Flash MX it's like this:

PHP Code:
    // cycles trough all objects on screen
    for (object in screen) {

trace(object.toString());

But if you use the code above in 3dfa (which is used by the scrolling engine from Strille) the 3dfa-interpreter stops making SWF until ich reaches the line with the for code.

I'm totally believing that if we can DISABLE the DEBUGGING in 3dfa it should work.

so far...

the first things to do:

- what is the game about (story, how should it look)
    - what are the goals of this game (like collecting items, reach end of the level, running against time)
    - basic drawings

- which type of engine we want to use?
    this one is very nice and the best: http://www.strille.net/tutorials/part1_scrolling.php

we must port this to 3dfa

very hard work.

but if this works once, we are able to create wonderfull side scrolling games. it's very flexible.

but in the moment I don't really believe that we/I will manage this.

Here's a basic outline of my thoughts, feel free to add input/ideas.........................

Intro:

sunseting, warm and tropical. Our hero goes inside and gets in bed, we see him through the window. Sunsets moon comes out goes about halfway across sky snow begins to fall ice forms. Sun up our hero awakes and shivers. Game begins.

Level 1: Starts in our heros home, he gathers items for his quest(money, breadstick, etc) goes to door, shifts to street scene. Angry people must be avoided, and can be hit with breadstick, items can be gathered, money, sword(?stick?), our hero makes his way to the end of town where a temple is erected in front of the volcano(which has ice has formed on the once flowing lava, temple priest is dressed in a parka and looks more like an eskimo, a sign says "Volcano Tours $25" our hero must have this much to enter the temple(an alternative would be to battle the priest, but must be difficult). Inside the temple he encounters a freezing demon which he must defeat in order to contue to level 2........

Level 2(can be broken into smaller sub-levels): Inside the volcano, hazards are falling ice, demons, bats, bottomless pits, etc. Items gathered can be rocks(for throwing), weapons/coins from defeated demons, keys for doors(with hidden treasure, etc), travel will be for the most part downward through ladders, jumping(beware of hidden traps/bottomless pits), when you reach the floor of the volano you must defeat an iceskating demon in order to steal his skates and cross the frozen floor to caverns below at level 3...........

Level 3(w/sub-levels): Caverns below the volcano, must defeat 2 demon guards in order to get the key for the door and cross into the caverns. Demons(stronger demons) abound, and must be defeated, potions(undefeatable, flying??, super strength, etc.) coins, keys can be gathered, traps must be avoided, at the end you reach Club Hell. In order to enter you must have a disco suit and sunglasses which will be gathered from demons outside Club Hell, once the bouncer lets you in, you are free to roam(demons will not attack, it's a party afterall), tips can be stolen from the bar and tables(waitresses will attack if caught), you must travel to lower levels and pass through a mosh pit, on the third level of the club, there is a door with demon guards that must be defeated once inside the door, you find yuorself in Satans office with a letter explaining he is on vacation, and details as to keeping the furnace going, instructions for feeding the cat, as well as the key to the private elevator which will take you to the furnace rooms and level 4..........

Level 4(w/sub-levels): after stepping off the elevator you must have either carried the note or again defeat demon guards to enter, once inside coal will be falling from a chute, you must gather coal and carry it to the the furnace bats will will attack, you must gather the coal before it overflows and chokes out the passage leaving you without room to move, once the furnace reaches a certain tempature(determined by amount coal), a block of ice at the far end of the tunnel will melt allowing you to pass to a stairway which leads back up to to another cavern system. Travel is now upward with bats and demons attacking, you must avoided flooded areas caused by melting water, pitfalls, traps, and now the re-emerging hellfire which will slowly increase as time passes.

Level 5(w/sub-levels): Back into the volcano, pitfalls, demons, bats, erupting/dripping/flowing lava, flames must all be avoided, as well as the steady growing amount of lava as it consumes each level up...........

Level 6: Final battle, and I'm out of ideas for now

Points would be scored for time mainly, but also for demons defeated, as well as items gathered(coins/keys). The street scene would have a Roman/Greek look to it, and the underground would be rocky, and once into demon dwelling areas would have a rocky sort of homey feel to it, also open for ideas here.

Sorry it's taken so long to get back on this, I've had my boys all weekend and they where out of school today. I'll get some tiles built for the room and I think I have him running right and left somewhere around here. I'll get that all together as I have time during the week. If anyone else wants to help with the art/animation side of this feel free............

Tile sizes I'm thinking 16, 32, 64, and a frame rate 8, 12, or 16 to keep things simple. 12 would be the best but might not flow smooth enough. What's your thoughts?

-J
    Last edited by zoranvedek; 02-22-2005 at 04:11 AM.

Found It!

In other posts I mentioned I couldn't find the original:

didn't look at top to see if it was stickyed.

Any way, I don't mind trying my hand in this or providing any support charter sounds (if any). I'm good at QAing stuff if that is what you need as well. Like finding things others may not have seen or thought of.

Noticed what Lopez1_de wrote about the engine. More than likely he's correct. While correcting my site with script I've encounterd unique aspects of 3DFA and how it handles scripting - not saying it is bad, just need to learn how to "trick" it.

Also, I know everyone is wanting to use this engine, but was wondering if anyone gave some thought into using a "ZORK" like approach and using 3DFA to enhance it but not to the level of say "Zaxxon"
    MoonRise

Size of playing area..........

I need to know what works for you guys, I've got some tiles made up for his home and the town, but before I go any further I'll need to know how high they are going to be stacked...........

Another thing I've been wondering is it possible to make him move on a 45 degree angle(like climbing a hill)? If so I've got some ideas for working with that.

-J

First draft level 1 graphics

........well, here is what I have so far. Figured I was at a good spot you guys can play around with it and see what works and what doesn't. Everything should be pretty self explanatory. All tiles are 32x32, and fit together as labeled.

Things that are needed at this point are stairs, holes in the floor(to fall through), a breadstick, him(still needs a formal name) running/walking/jumping with the breadstick(jumping without), and animations of him going up and down stairs.

If anyone wants to take what I have and add to it, feel free, got ideas of what else might be needed by all means voice them.

Sorry it's taken so long, my stepdads been in the hospital(going on 3 weeks now, not looking good), and my boys have been out for spring break(nothing like a 7 & 8 year old to wear you down real quick), so basically all my free time has been eaten up totally(surprised I have this much).

There are some issues I am aware of that I'll be working on fixing, these are as follows:

1. coin face doesn't show on export
    2. falling ice doesn't go all the way down
    3. child movies have a small line that sometimes shows up on export at the childs edge

If anyone else wants to jump in and look at them let know so I'm not duplicating work.

This should be enough though to get him moving, build a single platform level, get the basics worked out for sliding across the ice floors(and walking on the regular floors), and test ice hits(there will be a second animation for ice hits). Coin hits could also be set up, but the coins would have to be directly in his path, as he still can't jump.

.....as usual, see attached file.

-J
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by zoranvedek; 03-17-2005 at 01:41 AM.

Nice.
    But it looks that the character moves backwards.

I wish I had any time to work with 3DFA. But in the moment I'm full with work.

............getting ready to head out to work, thought I'd drop by and see if there is still any interest in this ?

It seems like forever since anyone has posted anything to this thread.

-J

heh, member this old post? What ever happened to this project anyway?
    BC

cuz we all moved to www.fpscreator.com
    lol
    havnt been on these forums for years. i play counter strike source though.

lol, this game looked like it was headed in a good direction... fpscreator? hmmm.... looks like one of those things that makes the game for ya,
    Last edited by sadako232; 12-01-2006 at 05:06 PM.

bump bump bump......

Boing!