Community Project

.....anyone up for one?

-J

What do you have in mind?

I'm in!
    Cheers,
    kusco
    (3DFA Support Team)

Well I'd really like to get some folks together and hunker down and see what could be done along the lines of a simple(couple of rooms simple scripted task, couple of battles, etc.) isometric 3d RPG(see here: http://www.bookofhook.com/Article/Ga...evelopmen.html ) just to see if it could be done, but that will take A LOT of work to accomplish, both programming and graphically(not too mention writing up a script for the game itself).

I'm honestly open to just about anything. I don't have the programming knowledge to pull off a full game, but I can easily come up with the graphics involved for just about anything.

Some thing to consider would be, how many people are involved and how much time they are willing to put into something.

We could do something really simple and go back to 80's arcade type games(asteroids, space invaders, rally x, etc.) or go out on our own and come up with something original. Doesn't really matter to me.

Anyone got any ideas?
    Last edited by zoranvedek; 01-19-2005 at 06:12 PM.

A Senior Newbie - How Odd ForumNewbie's Avatar

Scripting

Well,

Scripting's my bag I guess, so I might be able to lend a hand with server interaction type stuff, (work permitting).

Should have some new examples on-line soon, which you could pinch bits from, like logging on to a game server, managing a user account, etc.

Let me know what you need.

Morgan.
    Please note that my domain has changed to http://www.morganmultinational.com

http://www.kirupa.com/developer/acti...transforms.htm

Isometric is complex thing. Might be fun though

I like the idea of coming up with something original...there's too many Doom like games out there at the moment...but, I also like the retro games too!

Isometric programming/gaming is, IMHO, going to be too labor intensive for Flash to deal with but then I've been known to be wrong before...just can't recall the last time that was

Why don't we start with something on the DK side (for those not into the retro gaming DK stands for Donkey Kong....now I'm hearing all the those pennies drop ) It's a platform game and that's simply something that I haven't seen done in the forum to date. The very first platform game that I can think of that was a big hit was PitFall. Now that was an AWESOME game. So I'm leaning towards a platform game of some description....maybe even a Mario Bros. type game??

I'm up for a challenge, my expertise is in programming including javascript and vbscript. I'm ok with simple graphics and sound effects are out of the question.

How are we (the forum) going to manage such a project? ie. How are we going to handle the different parts of the movie and bring it all together into a game? If anyone has any ideas in this area it would be great to hear them.
    Cheers,
    kusco
    (3DFA Support Team)

Platform is cool, Pitfall is too cool(I remember getting hand cramps from playing that one)............

We'll need to decide on a hero , and some bad guys , and then figure out some levels, and of course an overall theme.........

We'll also need someone who's fully in charge(don't look at me ), and has the final word over everything, and some extra server space to house everything would be more than handy(geocities??).......

I'd like to come up with something that's pretty challenging(to play and to build), but I don't want to get in over my head with 30 different levels(unless it's getting REALLY good, then who knows....), orginial I think is the way to go...........

Ideas, ideas, ideas.................

-J

my contribution

Help this someone?...

Rui Paiva
    Last edited by rui_eduardo; 09-29-2008 at 11:30 AM.

Hero idea..................

see attached file.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plaform ideas.............

See attached file.

my contribution

Hi Forum

Mouse over y button. Put value 80.
    After put 80 on X and mouseover +Z.
    Drive grey cube around white cube without touch.
    Give me your feedback please.

Rui Paiva
    Last edited by rui_eduardo; 09-29-2008 at 11:30 AM.

Rui and Zoronvedek!!

Guys! Guys! Guys!!!!!
    Both ideas and graphics are totally awesome!

Rui, I really like the 3D feel and it's perfect for an adventure/puzzle/explore/sym's type game.

Zoronvedek, very cool graphics and perfect for a Mario Bros., Pitfall, Odd's World, Donkey Kong type game!

I can see two projects here!!

Now, FORUM, what are your thoughts and who else would like to participate? C'mon all, I know you're out there and reading this...what's holding you back?
    Cheers,
    kusco
    (3DFA Support Team)

two projects

Hi Kusco

«Why don't we start with something on the DK side»

I don't want start a second project...

My idea was only "open mind" for who have some interest for this kind of animation...

We have nothing about iso move in 3dfa...

Only "open mind", nothing more...

By the way - my goal is building sites with 3dfa, not games...

Cheers
    Rui

Originally posted by kusco

Now, FORUM, what are your thoughts and who else would like to participate? C'mon all, I know you're out there and reading this...what's holding you back? [/B]
    ...ditto

I'm still open to character ideas, the guy I made was just something I'm goofing around with. Definetly NOT written in stone..............

On the platform game side. I'm thinking we could start the whole thing off in a subterranian world(lava flows, snakes, rats, etc./IDEAS), and the next level could be a city sewer system(recylce the rats, maybe some alligators), after that maybe a building or a street scene............

Of course I'm open to ideas here.

If anyone has any ideas about coding it, I'd like to hear them, especially anything that deals with tile size for graphics(hint hint), frame rates, animation times/delays, etc..................

-J

Game Concept

Well, I've had an idea for a game that I've wanted to get going for quite some time so I'll share the idea with the forum and see what people think.

Concept:
    Our hero lives in a town that is normally warm, bright, sunny and well, a paradise.

One day our hero wakes up to find the entire land frozen over and it's snowing!!

Our hero then has to find out what has happened and begins to explore the town for answers. Eventually, it's discovered that it's because Hell has frozen over. Satan, it seems, has gone on holiday and the fires of Hell have died out. This is why it's suddenly become so cold.

Our hero now needs to find the cave entrance that leads to the caverns which eventually lead to Hell so that the fires can be rekindled.

Along the way our hero encounters all manner of obsticles ranging from bad guys blocking the path or first having to find objects to unlock doors or to even solve a riddle or puzzle. There can be comedy built into the game as well...like a note being left on Satan's fridge with intructions on how to feed the cat while he's gone.

.....just a thought, not sure if there's anything here that could be considered too negative but it is afterall, a game.

What are people's thoughts?
    Cheers,
    kusco
    (3DFA Support Team)

I like it, building comedy in is a definite to do. I play fallout pretty much exclusively(have for years), and you wouldn't beleive some of the things you come across in that game. Everything from allusions to Monty Python's Seacrh for The Holy Grail(in this case a sacred hand grenade) to a mechanical man begging to be oiled(the tin man of OZ)...........

Do we call it "When Hell Freezes Over"?

.......seriously from what I've seen the folks around here doing, and from past experience, I think we could do a pretty proffesional and interesting game.

I'm surprised more people haven't come forward with input/ideas.

-J

How about calling it "HOT"

I've made some pretty cool fire animations in WAX exported to swf that might come in handy

We still talking platform here?

Perhaps people are waiting to see what happens with the game before putting their hand up.

I think the game concept will fit in nicely with your idea of cave/caverns and lava flows

Now for the game itself, ie. tiles etc., 32x32 pixel tiles would be perfect, not too big or too small. Having a fixed tile size also allows for easy development of the scripting. What we need now is a story board for the game that has all the ideas from start to finish....or we could do this the old fashioned way where you just took the game wherever it developed.

Using a tile based system also allows for easier control of AI characters. Basically, we will know in advance the boundries for each AI character because they'll be limited to tiles.

We could try and develop a game without tiles but this is more difficult to manage as there is no easy means to identify the slope/shape of the floor that the hero will be standing on.

The game also lends itself nicely to the different levels. ie. a surface level, catacombs level, caverns level, deep caves, lava, .... Hell.

If I can go further with the original game concept...the hero was going to be a chubby Roman from the days of the Great Empire. Waking up in your toga to find the weather was just a little on the frosty side would be a bit of a shock for most people. Some of the other ideas I intended for the game to make it interesting was to use a breadstick as a sword until a 'real' one could be found, iceskates when he got to Hell, a bouncer at the gates of Hell that would turn you away because you didn't look 'cool' enough (like a night club would do these days) so you had to find and wear certain items like sun glasses (shades) etc.

I'm not that good when it comes to creating graphics but I can certainly give it a try.

If anyone else has another idea/concept or to add to this then please do. It's a community project afterall.

We need someone that has creative talent for sound effects...any takers?
    Cheers,
    kusco
    (3DFA Support Team)

Tile based makes alot of sense as you can store your screen play area in simple arrays and have a seperate routine to display it. ie:

code:

map=new Array;

map[0]="wwwwwwwwwww"
    map[1]="wfffffwwwww"
    map[2]="wfwwwwwwwww"
    map[3]="wfffffwwXww"
    map[4]="wwwwwffffww"
    map[5]="wwwwwwwwwww"

then go through the array and display a wall tile for every w a floor tile for every f and put your hero starting point at the X.

You could also have a second array that places objects in the map.

This affords a couple of nice things.
    [list=1][*]easy to make different levels[*]easy to check if a direction is passable[*]allows for the possiblity of a "level editor" at some future time. Assuming we load the map arrays in as variables[/list=1]

the above assumes a tile based top view style map as opposed to platform.

I've done this as an example once and some one made a nice simple game out of it.

I was recently playing with the code for this to update the map on the go but had a problem with my hero dissapearing. I think it has to do with depths as I built the map display with cloned graphics. and I may have to do with the way I cleared and reset them. Not sure.

the experiment is attached below

Originally posted by blanius
    .......the above assumes a tile based top view style map as opposed to platform.

I've done this as an example once and some one made a nice simple game out of it............

Bret how hard would it be to convert this to iso using the following as an example?:

If you could determine which direction he's facing, and give each weapon a set range(one tile for a knife, 2 for a sword, 32 for a gun, etc.), how workable would it be?

-J