A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Maybe you didn't get my point...

Wait a minnit here... Let's not pretend like this has been some type of collective ill will fest. I just went back and read the thread that closed, and here's what I found:
    argonauta: this question has been answered several times, you should do a search

SpyderTL.com: I'm aware of that and have looked, just wanted to get some new links in my list. Don't patronize me like I don't know how to use a forum.

...a bit confrontational and 'snotty' in itself, wouldn't you say?

This was then followed up with a nice link to a thread where, low and behold, people had listed what blogs they liked. You then had a choice: accept that this was as much discussion as the people here were willing to give the topic, post in the thread given and see if anyone else had additional sites, or start a new thread to *****.

You chose the last option.

And what was the response to this outpouring of poor-me, poor-me? A rather polite and helpful reply from Virgo. Then (horror of horrors) the thread was jacked. That happens every day, to threads of all types of importance. Yet you want to complain, how dare these CL people fill your whining thread with content other than how sorry they are for you that you couldn't take the first advice offered?
    Hush child. japangreg can do what he wants. - PAlexC
    That was Zen - this is Tao.

This one will be closed for different reasons, methinks.

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.

Addicted To FruityLoops Studio FlashKid105's Avatar
    Originally posted by SpyderTL.com

You do have a nasty attitude, you jump to conclusions and attack people directly.

Whoa, whoa! Let's keep it cool around here, ok?

Yes, Gerbick has admitted to me (although I think it was indirectly) that he can be mean. However, I have done a couple Arena Battles already with one that is in progress right now. You know what he has said to me regarding my compositions? That there's definitely room for improvement. If someone doesn't like my loops, that is solely their opinion. NOT the whole community's.

i'm going to have to agree with SpyderTL.com - that thread should not have been closed.
    in fact, that is definitely one of the least deserved closings of all time.
    i agree all the whining and name calling has been suspect, but so was that closing...BIG TIME.

let's all share our blogs and forums - what a great thread idea!
    you guys allow multiple threads on age, hometown, username origin, etc, but you don't allow this?

outrageous!

and i know you aren't supposed to criticize the mods in public, but this bandwagon is ripe for the jumping!

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

dream.in.code
    I was confrontational because there was no need to point out the obvious, if I was some newbie that hadn't registered in 2000 and had 700+ posts, then I could understand this. However, I've been around the forum block a time or 2 and understand forum etiquette. The response was less than helpful and my response was justified.

Gerbick started off with "Dude, I'm not going to argue with you" I was not trying to start an argument, only point out that I agree with the 3 folks who could see past the cockyness of the people in power here.

I don't care that the thread was jacked, it was quite an amusing read, however, to say I was spamming is pretty harsh, I posted a link to the sites I frequent which I find helpful and informative.

Feel free to continue to jack the thread, I don't need to prove myself to a bunch of groupies on a message board that used to be a friendly and helpful place.

I don't dig up threads from the abyss, it's often considered rude and if I wanted to drudge up the past I would have. Instead, I wanted new, fresh, web sites that would occupy my time when not working or visiting the sites I listed.

dream.in.code
    Originally posted by ViRGo_RK
    This one will be closed for different reasons, methinks.
    *nods* I'm not gonna have another thread closed without a GOOD reason.

Gerbick, you're more than welcome to post at my site, we aren't jerks over there.
    And we're not jerks either. Your statements don't have a leg to stand on.

Daily, we get people that say... "hey, what websites do you visit..." and then they list their website first.

And that's not spam? Care to explain what that is then? I mean, I list a thread that was recent about the very same thing and in your absence of posting, we sorta got a bit tougher on duplicate posts. Especially when there was one quite recent.
    dream.in.code is mine, yes
    I could easily tell.
    the others on the list I visit often, studiowhiz is a great site, but I am definitley not affiliated with it... used to be, but not anymore, K and I don't even talk anymore.
    Actually, Keran and I still talk. He's one cool dude, and I consider him a good friend of mine. And I'm actually on the "crew" at Studiowhiz as well.
    Daniweb was inspired by my site and I've posted on it for a long time but don't promote it, she asked me to do a link trade a couple months ago.
    So that would an affiliation, no?
    You do have a nasty attitude, you jump to conclusions and attack people directly. I didn't come here to spam, I came here to get an outside look at some of the other cool sites on the web, I get plenty of it at my own site and others. Since I STILL haven't gotten an answer to my original question, you can lock this thread and be done with it, once again, you've managed to drive away a member of this community who wanted to contribute and be active.
    Ok, so you're the only person saying I have a nasty attitude because I simply won't play along with your posting?

Sorry dude. Guess we'll never see eye to eye. I could have deleted this post, had this thread also closed, or something. I didn't.

And that's very nasty of me, right?

Also, I've managed to drive away a member that's only come here to post links about their site. You're about 1 in 4 for listing links to your site whenever you did post. Whether it's past or present.

And we've never stopped you before.

But now when I list a thread, here at FK, that's recent, I have the nasty attitude? So I should have stopped you way back then if I had a real nasty attitude, as you're saying.

But I haven't.

And I'm not stopping you now.

That's real nasty of me indeed... yep.

Thanks for the resources though. I'm not a member there at DIC.net, but I've used some of your tutorials before.

And I've even listed you before when somebody was looking for code snippets... I'm looking real mean here.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

no, he's right...this one should probably be closed.

i would like someone to start another 'what blogs/forums do you frequent'.
    i think it's insane for that not to be allowed...

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

I was confrontational because there was no need to point out the obvious, if I was some newbie that hadn't registered in 2000 and had 700+ posts, then I could understand this. However, I've been around the forum block a time or 2 and understand forum etiquette. The response was less than helpful and my response was justified.

Gerbick started off with "Dude, I'm not going to argue with you" I was not trying to start an argument, only point out that I agree with the 3 folks who could see past the cockyness of the people in power here.
    Ok. How would you suspect a thread that starts with "Maybe you didn't get my point..."

That's quite confrontational. Now I wasn't even involved in that whole thread closing to begin with.

I just simply posted a friggin' link to a more recent one - the one that Planet posted was ancient - and then said I'm not going to argue with you.

Got beef, take it up with the people responsible.

I ain't one of them. You understand that!?

Sheesh, trying to be nice and show a recent thread, and I get piled into this bull?

Post away. I don't give a damn.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

If anybody is feeling a agitated or anything...go take it out on somebody's sound loop. Go rate some random loop, give it a 1 without even listening to it. Do it. It'll feel good and I'm sure it'll really ruin the loop creator's day. :P

Nooooooo... thats not allowed either!

Planet brought out the Pirate smiley for that comment....i'm sorry. I'll respond with the fro guy, he's tougher than the pirate anyway.

Oh, no way. The pirate guy has a sword, a head band AND an eye patch. What could possibly be tougher then that!

a fro.

I mean really, what does an eyepatch do? It makes your vision worse right? And you can't be that talented with a sword if you dont have depth perception(which you can't really have with only one eye). Now the headband, i'll give you that. That definately makes you tougher, just looking at it...it's intimidating. It protects your eyes(or eye, in this case) from getting sweat in them, hence clearing up vision for swordfighting. So yes, the headband is pretty tough.

The fro combined with the cool shades, is basically unbeatable...admit it...just admit it.

Señor member

Re: Maybe you didn't get my point...

Since my thread was closed for no real good reason other than "another similar thread existed" I will clarify: I wanted to know what forums and blogs you regularly visit... I realize there is a thread, and I know I posted in it, but I was looking for some new sites (mainly blogs) that you folks like... looking for political, techy, or otherwise just good reads.

If the people around here are to stuck up to provide that info, I'll be happy to go back to my side of the web and ask another community who isn't so full of themselves.

Also, that thread was from 2002...
    I will only go as far as to say that a quick look at your last 25 posts shows that in 20% of them you mention your own site in the post when you didn't really need to.

I mean who really asks what blogs and forums people visit and then lists their own site twice in a single post and has the audacity to complain when they are accused of spamming?
    Company, Meet Creative
    ------------------------
    welcomebrand

Whats with everyone and the word audacity today?

Is it a new lounge favorite or something?

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.

Yeah, I grow tired of this. For one thing, we're not jerks, we're all here in the Coffee Lounge to have fun so if you can’t take a joke then leave. And SpyderTL.com stop spamming because that’s exactly what it is. That’s not to say that we, or at least most of us don’t appreciate your contributions because we most certainly do however, you can be informative , helpful and funny without constantly posting your own links in every other thread and I’m being conservative in that statement. I mean seriously, your footer alone should be enough so stop abusing it and follow the rules and we'll all continue to have fun together.

Addicted To FruityLoops Studio FlashKid105's Avatar
    Good point, Mike.

I've got links to my stuff in my footer which is where I was told was the only place that was acceptable for those links.

Good thing I ran it through the mods before posting the links.

SpyderTL, you should really think about keeping stuff like this in your footer. I know you're going to say that people won't visit your sites then but trust me, there'll be curious people out there who want to know about your site. So really, please don't over-do it.

Originally posted by Planet
    For one thing, we're not jerks
    I'd say those who participated in jacking the thread were being jerks.

And I'd also say the closing of his thread was jerky. With all the absolutely STOOOOPID threads that run here (including some started by mods), I don't see how this new thread was somehow going to threaten national security or the "integrity" of the FlashKit Coffee Lounge!

But I am also first to admit it is just a big playground around here and the mods generally get to do what they want without rhyme or reason.

*** steps back and waits to be flamed ***

Ok, I think we've reached the end of this thread.

A pattern emerged of spyder posting his own forum in many threads.

No matter how discreetly it is, its still spam.

It was agreed that his latest thread was just a step too far and very thinly veiled spam.

So the thread was closed.

Simple as that. For all the regular members that complained, remember threads aren't just closed because someone has a bad day and feels like going on a thread closing spree.

There are reasons and deep discussions into why and when threads are closed.

Try and think of the whole picture next time before shouting your mouth off at the great work all the mods do here.

If you disagree with anything above, please feel free to PM me, as new threads on this topic will be closed.