A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: What should I add :)?

What should I add :)?

Ok so this is my site, it isn't quite finished but I would like some input...
    I would like to add some fun animation but I'm not sure where to add it...any tips?

THanks in advance for all comments!

www.exanegotium.com/home.htm
    Trust No1

Mr Snowman
    A drinking village with a fishing problem
    it would be nice that the rose changes color depending on where the mouse is on the page. That would be kewl
    Life is just a bunch of swf's

u need a better hit area than just the text in the portfolio areas. Don't you see your cursor blinkin around when you scroll over it?

Originally posted by Cong
    u need a better hit area than just the text in the portfolio areas. Don't you see your cursor blinkin around when you scroll over it?
    I know I know...I always add those last because I'm lazy
    Trust No1

what to add ? === more effort in your design !

Originally posted by wbwd
    what to add ? === more effort in your design !
    ... In what way? Can you be more constructive??

I double checked the hit areas and they are fine! I guess I had added them after all.
    Trust No1

you want constructive crits well here i go....

-i agree about the rose, that would be a nice effect or morphing the flower into different flowers according to a section
    -you need a home button
    -the rollovers do not fit the site, especially the red circle and rollover effect. try doing a simply fade in/out according the change of color in the flower? your adding to much animation, well the animation u have doesn't fit with the site. using a flower and the colors that u have, it needs to be more refined, simple, elegant not just trying to add animation just to add it.
    -in the sections that have links, add a rollover/hit state (change color, nice and simple but do a fade in/out)
    -i dont get the graphics used when i rollover the buttons, they dont go with the site plus they are HUGE
    -the color bar on the right, when i put my cursor over/hit them they turn into buttons but they dont do anything??
    -def customize the scroll/text area on the bottom, it looks to generic and try using an easing scroller, http://www.kirupa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27214 here is a good FLA by Claudio that works nicely
    -you have to many colors going on, grey,white,fuscia (spelling?), black,cranberry, bright red. the color scheme is way off, try going to this site, it should help u out with a nice "theme" http://www.colourlovers.com/ especially these schemes
    http://www.colourlovers.com/index.cf...play&palette=5
    http://www.colourlovers.com/index.cf...lay&palette=10

i dont mean to be harsh but u asked for a crit, i gave u one. i hope this helps
    Tracy
    Last edited by Tracy981; 01-29-2005 at 11:56 AM.

Originally posted by Tracy981
    you want constructive crits well here i go....

-i agree about the rose, that would be a nice effect or morphing the flower into different flowers according to a section
    -you need a home button
    -the rollovers do not fit the site, especially the red circle and rollover effect. try doing a simply fade in/out according the change of color in the flower? your adding to much animation, well the animation u have doesn't fit with the site. using a flower and the colors that u have, it needs to be more refined, simple, elegant not just trying to add animation just to add it.
    -in the sections that have links, add a rollover/hit state (change color, nice and simple but do a fade in/out)
    -i dont get the graphics used when i rollover the buttons, they dont go with the site plus they are HUGE
    -the color bar on the right, when i put my cursor over/hit them they turn into buttons but they dont do anything??
    -def customize the scroll/text area on the bottom, it looks to generic and try using an easing scroller, http://www.kirupa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27214 here is a good FLA by Claudio that works nicely
    -you have to many colors going on, grey,white,fuscia (spelling?), black,cranberry, bright red. the color scheme is way off, try going to this site, it should help u out with a nice "theme" http://www.colourlovers.com/ especially these schemes
    http://www.colourlovers.com/index.cf...play&palette=5
    http://www.colourlovers.com/index.cf...lay&palette=10

i dont mean to be harsh but u asked for a crit, i gave u one. i hope this helps
    Tracy

Thank you tracy that was very helpful indeed! And don't worry about being harsh, I love it!
    I agree with everything except maybe the colour scheme, I wanted it to look abit 'different/off', I will see what my mom says (she is an artist and excellent at pointing things out).
    Thank you again!
    E.
    xxx

no problem, good luck... maybe ur mom should join the forum to, always good to have more "artists" here

Oh man!

I agree with the colour scheme thing now...I just looked at it on this moniter which is much clearer than my old busted one and it all looks a mess!

*runs back to her laptop to change things*
    Check back in a day or so

no problem, good luck... maybe ur mom should join the forum to, always good to have more "artists" here
    Haha, yeah maybe she should but when she is critical she is CRITICAL. Very very harsh, people will begin to hate her even though she is always right

well people may dislike her BUT most real designers that want to learn and "grow" will def appreciate her crits. i know i would!! the harsher the better b/c u learn by ur mistakes and wut other people see and some people are to afraid to really give a crit or even get one by a pro. when people/designers present their work, their boss or team most likely will either love it, say its so so or totally destroy it. having crits done by our peers helps us "newbies" and others be more prepared for the real world.

well people may dislike her BUT most real designers that want to learn and "grow" will def appreciate her crits. i know i would!! the harsher the better b/c u learn by ur mistakes and wut other people see and some people are to afraid to really give a crit or even get one by a pro. when people/designers present their work, their boss or team most likely will either love it, say its so so or totally destroy it. having crits done by our peers helps us "newbies" and others be more prepared for the real world.
    Yes that is true..
    Oh and you were totally right about the colours btw... they looked fine on my laptop (the screen is fading and about to die), but when I saw it on a regular bright moniter it looked a MESS!

not a problem, once u fix this def have users both on a mac and pc check the colors b/c both platforms will look differently!! i learned that lesson the hard way

looks nice. Also, customize ur scrollbar for the text

hmmm... i don't know if anyone saw this prob ( maybe someone already posted it, but i'm too lasie to read all the post now )

so... the problem is with the Buttons. eg: when i press the Graphics button and after that the Photography button the page loads OK, but if i press the Photography button again it loads Graphics... and this is the prob with other buttons too...

Maybe you wanted it that way, but it's realy anoying, atleast in my opinion...

Originally posted by EveXPhile
    ... In what way? Can you be more constructive??

I double checked the hit areas and they are fine! I guess I had added them after all.

i tried to say that spend more time in PLANING your web pages, maybe use more graphics, more colors, more animations, more effects, etc... And btw, i hate that "code emblema" ( don't realy know what's it's name ) in the upper left corner... it looks like CRAP, it gives me a feeling like in a maket when i go shoping and see some MEAT or Something with that emlema on it... That graphic realy sux, it's aprox -3 points for the site with that on...

Tracy is right with the morphing Rose thing, and if the rose would be red or something it would be much better, the gray rose looks like ***t.

Well I guess that is a step up!
    The 'emlema' you are talking about is a 'barcode' and I like that part so it is staying In also like the colour of the rose but I will take you guys up on the idea of it morphing.

Originally posted by wbwd
    hmmm... i don't know if anyone saw this prob ( maybe someone already posted it, but i'm too lasie to read all the post now )

so... the problem is with the Buttons. eg: when i press the Graphics button and after that the Photography button the page loads OK, but if i press the Photography button again it loads Graphics... and this is the prob with other buttons too...

Maybe you wanted it that way, but it's realy anoying, atleast in my opinion...
    Yeah I noticed that, trying to figure out what happened lol.