A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Need a site check

Need a site check

Seems a few people are having problems logging on to my site

http://www.laraiaarts.com

If anyone has a problem let me know what happens, flash version, operating system and version, and connection speed.

If you have comments send those too.

Thanks in advance,
    LA

Flash MX 2004, Avant browser, winxp SP1, Cable:
    Page Blank.
    Flash MX 2004, Mozilla FireFox, winxp SP1, Cable:
    i see the front page(logo) i click on it doesn't do anything(don't know if it's suppost to do something )

popup window disesn't open.
    i open it from http://www.xccelerant.com/laraiaarts/main.html
    main page text is not readable on 1024X768.
    when i want to close the print media page it colses and opens again.
    Last edited by bs_grewal; 01-28-2005 at 03:21 AM.
    Thanks
    Baljit Singh Grewal
    Click here to email me
    Messengers: baljit@bsgrewal.com

Made some changes.

Aluminx: Re-did the link so if you click on the image in the front page it should launch the main window. (Yes, its supposed to do something , hopefully this time it does)

Don't know whats up with Avant Browser, guess it doesn't like heavy javascript...

bs_grewal: Yeah, the pop-up seems to work on some machines and not others. Since people can block pop-ups its getting to the point its conterproductive to have a pop-up. I just like the extra real estate.

If the pop-up doesn't open, the logo page is clickable and should open the main page.

Let me know if the new changes worked. Thanks!!!
    LA

Firefox 1.0 check = true.
    I like the site.
    And I love the sounds doublePlus.

Chero, thanks for the compliment, and for posting your browser.

The sites getting there, still needs polishing here and there.

well first off, when i click on ur link, another window automatically pops up...not good. i didnt have time to look at the other screen plus pop ups are tough...most users have popup blockers so that might pose a problem for you. there's not reason to have 2 splash pages and 2 enter buttons, its redundant. the splash page with the grey shape (the second pages that pops up) i like that splash page better than the first one. The blue that u have is nice but i would want to see more of it in some places like the buttons, either on a rollover the text changes or thats a very opaque gradient. u have a very flowing and smooth site, have u thought about using an easing scrollbar?? Claudio from kirupa has a nice one http://www.kirupa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27214

hope this helps
    Tracy

Tracy981: Thanks for the comments.

I originally had the two pages, first and pop-up, for a flash checker to execute. This was before pop-up blockers became the default setting in a lot of apps these days. But to create a quick lead in I left the checker in on the pop-up window. If theres a blocker then thesite can still be executed by clicking on the image in the first loading page. But I'm starting to think this is to cubersome, I wondering if I should just load the first page and have everyone click on it to access. Everyone should know their systems and theres no need for a checker. What do you guys think?

As for the scroll bar yes I've thought about making changes to it. But the scroll bar needs to work with the loading of text files that have html text with AS functionsin them. This makes updates to the sight rather painless since all I have to do is create a folder with a generic display flash file in it, then put an AS function in the href of the scrolling text. Click on the text and the flash display file loads into the main flash file.

I'll have to test the Kirupa file. Thanks!

well u are right about the flash detection BUT in ur splash page u can simply tell people ur site needs flash player # to be successfully viewed at. most people do a flash detection and it will either go directly to ur swf or to a alternative/html page. in the tutorials on FK, they have a tut on this that works great, ive used it before but beware that it just detects for which player is being executed not if they have flash originally.

Re: Made some changes.

Originally posted by xccelerant
    bs_grewal: Yeah, the pop-up seems to work on some machines and not others. Since people can block pop-ups its getting to the point its conterproductive to have a pop-up. I just like the extra real estate.
    i never installed a popup bloker on my machine, coz we all know most flash sites opens in popup windows.
    Thanks
    Baljit Singh Grewal
    Click here to email me
    Messengers: baljit@bsgrewal.com

not all flash sites open up in a popup, most of them dont. majority of the flash sites that i have seen on FK, Kirupa and Bill Bussey have open in the same window. if they do open up in a new window, its redirecting to a new/different site...if anything.