A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: frame rate per second (fps)

frame rate per second (fps)

Hello,

What is the most optimum/common fps for an arcade style game? with about 30 - 50 moving objects.

I set to 31 fps, and it works ok on my computer, pentium 4 2.0 Ghz.

I am wondering if there is a way / rule how to determine best fps setting for a game.

Thanks,

An fps of 25 is recommended by most people. It has something to do with the amount of fps a human brain can calculate, and how fast Flash will recognize keypresses. An fps of 25 seems perfect in most cases If you do intend to use a higher fps, don't ever go above 40 unless you need it for something rare...

SaphuA

34 frames/ps is for player 7 the recommended speed. This is by some the setting where the speed in the browsers come as close as possible to the speed in the IDE.
    for player 6 this is 31 frames/ps

For the record, arcade/console games generally run at either 50 or 60 fps, depending on whether they are PAL (UK, Australia, parts of Europe and Japan) or NTSC (America, parts of Europe and Japan). That is, the screen is re-drawn every time the display refreshes. It used to be a matter of pride for old-school coders that everything was done in "one frame".

I like 30 fps for simple games but for games with high speed and physics I tend to make it closer to 40 as this will smoothen the movement. I would therefore say 34, since most online versions are a bit slower (34 in flash = 30 in IE/FF).

about dimensions: 640*480 or 320*240

Untitled-2.fla
    I always stick to 31, if you cant get a steady 29-31fps, than you're doing something wrong! - optimize as much as you can.

the human eye can't see anything that faster than 31fps (or something close to that) - if you're interested do a search, I'm sure there will be some info.

I also think Flash runs best on macs when the fps is 31 (you may find more info on flashcoders)

it is possible to overclock flash, i've seen code that when set at 60fps actually runa at 30, when you set the frame rate to 31, you also get a steady 30fps...

hope that helps

Originally posted by token 3
    the human eye can't see anything that faster than 31fps (or something close to that) - if you're interested do a search, I'm sure there will be some info.
    The eye can actually detect flickering displays up to roughly 80Hz, or 80 frames per second. You can test this by setting your monitor's refresh rate below this and looking at the bottom-right corner of the screen. Out of the corner of your eye, you will see that the rest of the display flickers.

This is why office workers tend to use a minimum of 80Hz as their refresh rate - prolonged exposure to anything less tends to give people a headache.

Cinema use 24 frames per sec and that is enough. There is a big difference between noticing flickering and seeing the frames change. If you film your screen then you can see the flickering as the frames overlap, but you don't notice that when you look at the screen.

NTSC TV uses 30 frames per second. The human eye stops seeing individual images, and sees continuous motion, at 16fps. Basically, it's down to the game you're making. If you're making a slow-paced strategy or puzzle game, you can drop the framerate; if you're making a racing game, you want it to run as quickly as possible.

Personally, I make all of my Flash projects run at 50fps - as a fan of real videogames, anything else seems sluggish.

Untitled-2.fla
    Originally posted by ant512
    The human eye stops seeing individual images
    ~yarr - - that's what I meant.

Spirit Breakers Clan Lead
    /Frame Rate per Second/ might also depend on the size the Objects you create, much like a character(MC).
    I've learned that making a smaller character with smaller or larger enviroments is more effective then a large character with much bigger enviroments. It will aslo reduce the number of frames required to make a certain gesture with your character.
    Like walking and running. If the frames are 30 to 40 FPs for an Arcade game. I think I would put about 5 to 10 frames per gesture.

In some ways, Small is greater than Large.
    Less FPS is greater than More FPS.
    - is greater than + = -

We don't want to have a lot of work to do!
    We want less to do.

Did this help?
    Hi, my name is Nakrem, Ishiru or Nakremy
    I have a Clan Forum on USWEST D2LOD NON-LADDER.
    My website is s13.invisionfree.com/Clan_spirit_breakers

contact me in USwest realm, my account name is Ishiru, my best character is Unreal-NakremSB.
    If you want to join my clan. Register to my forums and I might validate you after questions.

better than chuck norris
    btw
    this may seem stupid, but how do you get the frame rate to display in the movie? is it an external running thing, a function, a formula?

i was thinking about it today and i can't figure it out

Untitled-2.fla
    Originally posted by Santuria
    this may seem stupid, but how do you get the frame rate to display in the movie?
    http://wiki.webgameplay.com/fps

better than chuck norris
    yahhhhhhhhhh

thanks, gratzi, (how the michiganians say it) Thankee!

better than chuck norris
    oh wait, im using flash 5

shoot, i knew there was a hitch

Originally posted by Santuria
    oh wait, im using flash 5

shoot, i knew there was a hitch
    That should be no problem since getTimer() goes back to flash 4

here's a very basic fpscounter for mx but you get the idea...

code:

frames = 0;
    time = getTimer ( );
    onEnterFrame = function ( ) {
    frames ++;
    FPS = int ( frames / ( ( getTimer ( ) -time ) / 1000 ) );

if ( frames > 100 ) {
    frames = 0;
    time = getTimer ( );
    }
    }

// Mazapán, my portfolio

Im doing a degree in Games Design, and one of our units is 2D Animation, and as a part of the lecture schedule, we learnt about the standard FPS of movies (hollywood). It's 21fps, which is the average for smooth animation.

When you know are. Son of Bryce's Avatar
    Originally posted by ihoss.com
    Cinema use 24 frames per sec and that is enough.
    24fps is enough for smooth motion in film because motion blur fills in the gaps. As stated before, our eyes can detect around 80 fps.

Originally posted by Demegatron
    Im doing a degree in Games Design, and one of our units is 2D Animation, and as a part of the lecture schedule, we learnt about the standard FPS of movies (hollywood). It's 21fps, which is the average for smooth animation.
    Dude. Maybe you need to review your notes, 24fps is the film standard.

better than chuck norris
    Originally posted by Kianis
    That should be no problem since getTimer() goes back to flash 4

here's a very basic fpscounter for mx but you get the idea...

thanks, i was thinking of something like that. ill have to try it.

I actually just got out of a Television production class last period (In computer science now)
    and yes, movies and film is 24 frames a second (animation usually runs at 24, altho some cartoons, including lots of anime, run at 12) and 30 for TV. For my games, I usually just run at 30, ive never really had any big issues with slowdown as long as I use .PNGs.
    Your a toaster and thats all youll ever be!