A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Load a swf after another is fully downloaded

Load a swf after another is fully downloaded

Hi,
    I want to preload a movie while another movie is playing. This will save my users having to wait for the download of the second movie.

However, I don't want the second movie to start downloading until the first has finished downloading.

How can I do this?

Thanks.

Banned
    Start preloading it when the first one has fully loaded and starts playing maybe

I don't think I did a good job of explaining what I wanted.

How about this - is there an easy way to code up "do not start loading movie 2 until movie 1 has completed downloaded"?

Banned
    What is this movie 2? An external .swf? If so, and you're using a loadMovie action on it, it won't start loading until you use that loadMovie action, and what I was really saying above, is use the loadMovie action on this second movie, on the first frame of your first movie when it starts playing...
    If you meant, how do I keep that second movie from playing as it loads while the first movie is playing, well that's another story.

Movie2 is an external .swf.

As for putting a loadmovie command on the first frame of Movie 1, I start playing Movie 1 almost immediately (while it's still downloading). So if I put a LoadMovie command on frame 1, Movie 2 will start downloading before Movie1 is finished downloading.

My goal is to have Movie2 ready and waiting for the user, so I basically want it ready in the cache.

Banned
    Movie 2 will start downloading before Movie1 is finished downloading...

So?

Where and how would you be loading it?

If Movie2 starts downloading while Movie1 is downloading, it will take longer for Movie1 to download.

Since my file is an elearning course, where the students can jump forward using a fast-forward button I've provided, then I want Movie1 to download as quickly as possible so the user won't outpace the download.

Check out http://design4x.com/misc/dfsc/dfsc-masterycourse.html

The goal is to download the Pre-Test section as soon as the "Design for Supply Chain" section is fully downloaded. That way, when the student gets to the Pre-Test section, it will already be downloaded and ready to go.

Banned
    Movie loading is basically sequential, and if you're not loading movie 2 to replace movie 1 (where movie 1's downloading would then and only be interrupted...), then the loading of movie 2 will have no bearing on movie 1's downloading, and would probably not even start before movie 1 is in fact downloaded. Connection speed would have much more effect!

Anyways, if you're that worried about it, just monitor movie 1's downloading (with an onEnterFrame), and only initiate loading of movie 2, when movie 1 is fully loaded.