A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How do you change a button instance without selecting the symbol?

How do you change a button instance without selecting the symbol?

I'm a noob to flash but trying to learn on my own... I want to save on file size by creating a button symbol and reusing it over again 6 times for my menu. I want each button to have a different rollover color but when I double-click the button in order to edit the "over" frame I default to editing the symbol. How do you edit button frames of an instance without editing the symbol itself?

Thanks!

ST4R,

If it's a vector button, you're going to make **** all difference to the file size.

Oh, and you've stepped into the Coffee Lounge. If you're staying, wipe your feet, hang your coat up and close the door, it's bloody freezing out there. If you' really want to get some Flash help, then I suggest the Flash help forums a few doors down.

asheep_uk,

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction mate! It is a vector and that's good to know.

How do you change a button instance without selecting the symbol?

<repost>
    Last edited by ST4RCUTTER; 02-20-2005 at 07:04 PM.

My pleasure. You should stay a while, it's karaoke tomorrow night. We where playing Abba last night as well.

if u want them all to be different just make different buttons, or use a MC button with a different AS every time
    everyone is entitled to my opinion

kessem,

Thanks! So basically I need to have 6 separate symbols for each button or use action script to change the color on rollover. Ok, well I can do that! Thanks!
    Last edited by ST4RCUTTER; 02-20-2005 at 07:04 PM.

Vector or not, you can't edit an instance of the button symbol. If you edit one, they all change. You want a different color, you have to make a different button.

Or, you could make it a movie clip, then edit the color property to change on rollover. That way you could make one, but use different code to change it to any color you wanted.

Thank you iaskwhy! You are all very prompt and helpful! Once I am up to speed on this app I'll be sure to return the favor to the next newb.

ST4R,