A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Super-Play movie clips

Super-Play movie clips

Sorry for the dumb title, but I'm at a loss of words for exactly what sort of thing I'm trying to find. It's a feature of Flash.

You know when you have a movie clip in another movie clip, or on the stage, and when you choose the "Control>Play" menu item, it animates the highest order of motion, but not the lower ones?

Like, if I have a spinning globe movie clip, and I make the globe bounce up and down in another movie clip, if I click "Play", the globe will bounce, but it won't spin.

Get it now? Playing a movie clip will only show the animation going on in the timeline of that one animation.

Somehow, months ago, I worked around that. Through sheer coincidence, I managed to get Flash to (hypothetically) spin the globe while it bounced, before testing the scene or publishing. I must've clicked something by mistake, but I'd like to be able to use Flash that way again.

So, what did I do to achieve that?

Banned
    Can you attach the .fla you've got?

You'd have a better chance of getting an answer if your .fla was in a MX only format, and zipped up.

You would have to save a copy of your MX2004 .fla, (using Save as...) and changing the Document type to MX only in the Save as... window.

Yeah, gimme a sec while I do that.

-Here we go. So. This .fla file has a graphic (the ball), a movie clip (the spinning ball) and a motion tween on the stage (the bouncing, spinning ball). Clicking "Control>Play" with the stage in the window will make the ball bounce, but you don't see it spin. What can be done to make it spin and bounce without testing or publishing the scene?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by mRNA; 02-19-2005 at 01:54 PM.

Never mind. I figured it out- it's amazing what a difference symbol behavior makes. By making the spinning globe a graphic and not a movie clip, it'll animate the same way when I publish it, but Flash will recognize that I want to see it animate while I preview it.

Thanks anyway!

you can always press CTRL+ENTER test your movie..
    Post no bills