A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [Preview] Speed-Ball game

[Preview] 3D Speed-Ball game

Hi everybody,

please have a look at this alpha version of a game we are working at:

http://www.neue-kreative.com/ball/

It's about 0,7 MB, no preloader yet. Please tell me if it runs smoothly an your system, aswell as if you see any errors. Ideas for improvements are welcome

Thanks.
    Last edited by jebrael; 03-12-2005 at 05:26 AM.

aha, got excited, thought you meant speedball type game.

looks great, very polished with quality graphics, not entirely sure about the physics, I felt more of a bystander/viewer rather than really interacting with it as a game - wasn't particularly involving or encouraging for you to play on

@mentuat

Ok, thanks. You have seen can use the bat to hit the ball? Just use the mouse and the left mouse button.

Yes. Likewise I thought you meant speedball too...pity.

Still, nice game. Pretty visuals.

I got it. You have to keep hitting the ball with the racquet to keep the ball moving quickly, therefore you get more coins.

Well, i say ball...whose head is that?

Ran smooth on my machine:

1.533ghz athlon
    windows XP home sp2

@lowestformofwit

I see. I played the "old" Speedball a lot. Maybe this is something for the free electoserver-license thread?

You got it. Yes, that's the way the game should be played.

The "ball" is just a ball with a face, a character we designed. In the final version there will be more animations and also over 60 voice samples. The final version is intented to be special content for a broadband website.

Any errors you've found or ideas for improvements?

It would help if it was more obvious to the player that they should try and hit the ball with the racquet.

I'm not sure if you have varying levels of strength based on how well the player strikes the ball.

I imagine you have coded that in there so what about letting the player know how well they timed their strike? You could give them messages like "WOW. Great strike" or "not bad" to "try hitting the ball".

That would motivate the player and involve him/her more in your game.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

Keep up the good work.

G.

Like others have said, the game lacks any real goal, I found it quite montonous after the first 20 seconds, after my awe of the beatufiul graphics was gone, gotta love that smiley .

I would suggest(along with other people's suggestions)...
    1. Make the player lose time for not hitting the ball with the racket, don't let it just bounce right back.

2. Only have 1-2 bouncing coins on the screen at a time, this make the game harder, instead of really just randomness with tons of coins(make sure that the mouse movement prior before the hits actually changes the course of the ball)

Well done on the virutal 3d, I tried once but could never get that 3d pong aspect to work quite right...

@lowestformofwit
    Good idea. I also had something similar in mind. Will upload an update soon.

@UnknownGuy
    Thanks. Nice to hear the graphics are fine. I'll see if your idea works. Hopefully it doesn't look to boring then.

hey those graphics are awesome. the reflections are very well done and help to place the objects in the scene.
    it could use a little on the gameplay side but i'm sure that all the suggestions so far will help out.
    nice work
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro