A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: flash+director for security

flash+director for security

If a director file is safer than a flash one,to prevent it to be stolen you can just make your whole game in flash and put it inside a director file, dont you?
    I know director player is not so popular as flash player, but this can change with the time...

i think you have just answered your own question there mate, it would be safer but hardly anyone would play it, kind of negates the point of making a flash game really.

maybe someone else could shed some light on this though.
    If our body is a clock ticking away and if while we experience all that this world has to offer time has still continued to pass, are we living or just experiencing a slow death?

Patron Saint of Beatings WilloughbyJackson's Avatar
    The Flash player is everywhere, it's pretty easy to develop for, and has it's own drawing tools.

Here's a graph showing plug-in penetration:
    http://www.macromedia.com/software/p...ockwaveplayer/

-pXw

yep! according to this Macromedia chart >> http://www.macromedia.com/software/p...netration.html
    it seems also that the Shockwave player was loosing popularity during the last year...

Also embedding a flash game in a director movie would pretty much kill the peroformance and frame rate...

Lapo
    www.gotoandplay.it
    Flash game developers community
    www.smartfoxserver.com
    Multiplayer Flash Server

Also embedding a flash game in a director movie would pretty much kill the peroformance and frame rate...
    I heard that was fixed in Director MX 2004...

-pXw

And even if it works..

If it get's to be a succes and, for some dark reason, everyone will get the shockwave player. There'll be ways to hack those files in no-time. Those temporary sollutions just aren't good enough, what we need is something that, in my opinion, is only feasible by the guys at MM.

What I remember, a lot of Flash's limitations are caused because they want to keep the player size small and sexy*.

I think that's why SWF's don't have a higher level of security.

-pXw

* sexy and such related talk on FKG is copyrighted by Squize...

Doing that would negate all the benefits using flash as a developing platform brings... and if you're not interested in those why not just make a game in director it will be capable of much more.

the usual
    it's safer because it's not open source...

personally I'd rather release a game that was played by millions and hacked by few, rather than a game played by few and hacked by none.

you'll have already had you answer from this thread, but at the end of the day choose the package that suite your needs and skills

Flash is my choice.I think in director just in a way to make it safer, but it dont worth it...
    Also, seems that MM dont know what they will make director for, first it was graphic stuff, them they put 3d, multiuser stuff, dvd stuff, video stuff...
    To the hell with director.Complicated language from hell...actionscript is a lot better, i know almost something about it
    Just dont want they to steal my work.No one will never see one game of mine while they can steal it

Originally posted by Incrue
    Flash is my choice.I think in director just in a way to make it safer, but it dont worth it...
    Also, seems that MM dont know what they will make director for, first it was graphic stuff, them they put 3d, multiuser stuff, dvd stuff, video stuff...
    To the hell with director.Complicated language from hell...actionscript is a lot better, i know almost something about it
    Just dont want they to steal my work.No one will never see one game of mine while they can steal it

Man, people worry about theft round here too much. Make a complete game before you get worried about anybody stealing it.

It's long time ago since I worked with Director, but it was possible to "crack" director files, and I bet it still is.

I don't think that Director is more "secure", It's just that there are no so called decompiler tools around which everybody can buy.
    juggernart.com