A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Adding items to an iso game

Adding items to an iso game

Hello everyone,

I've been following Tonypa's tile tutorials but have hit a problem. I'm not that good at AS but with a little perseverance I've managed to make a tiled grid and add an item that the hero character can pick up and score points. However the item isn't in the right place when the character gets the points. I've been trying for a while now and will continue to do so but if anyone could shed some light on the situiation I would be very thankful. You can find the SWF and code here

Steve

I've been looking around this and other forums for a solution. I know Leight had a similar problem when trying to set up his workshop game but his problem required a slightly different soultion. I'm still at it although, whilst the item looks to be 'on' the grid and can be collected it still isn't visually in the right place...???? Any ideas anyone?

As long as the registration point is the same as where your character's registrion point is it should be similar to how you've attached your character. I have not done isometric view, but I've had quite a bit of experience with tiles and it seems pretty similar.

I also stopped attaching stuff in tiles based projects, I just change out the tiles/gotoAndStop() depending on if a floor has gold on it or whatever, then when the char is on it, etc...

The Question itself proves You have really done wrong something in Your "engine".

Isometric system is identical to any other view system. The coordinates are only turned into isometric view. You still have X and Y (and maybe Z) coordinates.

Check this simple example, You can rotate how much like but still item next to some other item stays next to it.
    Isometric-rotation

The objects have X and Y coordinates, the result how we show the visual output, depends only from a simple mathematic calculation.

So check Your code one more and look were You have done wrong. The "calculations" should be identical.