A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 48 Hour Flashkit Competition?

after 5, before 4 Location::~Location(){}

48 Hour Flashkit Competition?

Ahem......

Allow me to intro.........DO YOU WANT A COMPETITION OR NOT!?

Ok, so maybe that was a bit harsh. Maybe it's my inner demon saying that its been way too long since we I hosted one. I know that you guys just finished one about 2 months ago, but we can't break the yearly 48 HFKC now can we? Are ppl too exhausted after the one that was just hosted or are people ready for another completely random and idiosyncratic topic? Well lemme just say that this year's topic will be a bit.....different.

Now in order to convince all of you, please copy paste this link and go to the page and repeat after me: I will participate in this year's 48 hour flashkit competition, husband or wife, job or schoool and family are secondary. Yay! ( you don't have to repeat the "yay" part)

www.geocities.com/beatcow/patternmaker.swf [COPY/PASTE]

D

I'm up for one... spring break coming up, lots of time to maybe *just maybe* participate

I've misted the last one, so I'm in the next one for sure!

Patron Saint of Beatings WilloughbyJackson's Avatar
    I'm always up for one.. though I probably won't be able to take part this time.

-pXw

I'd like to be part of one, but it's still snowboarding season and there's only a few weekends left . Has there ever been a 24hour comp?

you told me not to, but i will anyway:

YAY!

even though i might not actually take part...
    "wen i found my gerbil dead my other gerbil was eating it i just cried and screamed"
    http://www.livescripts.net

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by some moderator : Today at 9:01 PM.

Style Through Simplicity alillm's Avatar
    Im up for one

Ali

I'm all for it. My school holidays start in about a week, so maybe we could have it sometime close to then?
    http://www.birchlabs.co.uk/
    You know you want to.

the usual
    Why not hold a longer competition? I remember some really impressive entries from the month long comp.

It gives people who cannot commit during the two days you hold the 48hr

And for heavens sake stop starting the competition at a time that suites Americans what ever happened to the centre of the world? GMT (UTC)

Originally posted by Trickman
    And for heavens sake stop starting the competition at a time that suites Americans what ever happened to the centre of the world? GMT (UTC)
    Oh, stop the whining. I believe I am up for a 48 hr comp, but I dont think I will have the time for a montly entry. So, set it up and notify people of the date and time and let's get started!
    Andrew Webster
    Impressive Click

I'm up for it! Don't promise i'll finish anything but it'll be fun!!

But please make it so that it starts during holidays (next 2 weeks)...

YAY!
    My hat is yellow

OK lemme begin by answering some questions.

I've misted the last one, so I'm in the next one for sure!
    -baukereg

Actually, you did participate in last year's competition

http://www.cmd.tech.nhl.nl/users/regne200/bar/

Remember that great game?

I'd like to be part of one, but it's still snowboarding season and there's only a few weekends left . Has there ever been a 24hour comp?
    -kendude

Yes, as a matter of fact the whole competition idea was started by a one Matt Guest, but he never found the time to host it so he passed it on to me! I realized that 24 hours was too short so I boosted it to 48 hours. Actually, one year where flashkit was having some connection problems the day of submitions, I extended it to the 72 hour flashkit competition.

Why not hold a longer competition? I remember some really impressive entries from the month long comp.
    -Trickman

I can't say that I haven't thought about that, but the reason why I hold 48 hour competitions is because it really tests the person's "on the spot" originality and functionality. To be able to make a game in 48 hours means that you are able to come up with something original, interesting and fun within a short period of time. This is a skill that most programmers don't posess. It also makes it hard to get help on forums or from other people on the subject of coding because there is so little time. This means that you can't necessarily go above your level of programming since you have to do it so fast. No time to think or sleep. How good are you? The competition tells you that. (There are exceptions)

-Trickman

Does it make a difference? While one half sleeps, the other half works. When the other half sleeps, the one half works. Correct me if I'm wrong.

the usual
    you're spot on with the fact that it encourages creativity, but there's really only so much you can do in such as short length of time. if you did consider making it longer why not simply allow people to post a brief that they'll stick to (within reason).

the reason why i've never been inclined to compete is simple because I can't give up my weekend, working not-stop through the week is too draining

Technically it can be an unfair advantage, while us in the uk are sleeping, people the other side of the world know the keyword, and can immadiately make a start - they can also sleep on it. then sunday night comes, work the next day, we can't afford the luxary of submitting 5 minutes before (as the deadline is generally 2am UTC monday morning) - not really an issue; but i really don't get why it's always Eastern time.

anyway, whatever you choose will great - are are a excellent host!

smile for the camera! jesserules's Avatar
    a dark place where people have trouble in flash
    im in. my last game (Delivery War) sucked, so im going to make a better one.
    My site
    The Current Project is RoboRace.
    Screens Public Beta Coming Soon!

However a good advantage for ppl in the UK is that their schedule follows a simple pattern and is organized in chunks. Let's examine:

"Assume you go to bed at 11:00 PM and wake up at 7:00 AM"

Let's say you get the topic at 3:00 AM.

3 AM|------|7 AM -> 11 PM|------|3 AM|-------|7AM -> 11 PM|---|3AM|
    sleep 4 hrs|work 16 hrs | sleep 8 hours |work 16 hrs |sleep 4hrs

This way you get two big chunks of working. Although it's hard to work straight like that, some people want to get everything done at once.

Advantages: Symmetrical timeline, start off early with the topic. Easier to stay up later on last night.(eastern time people are almost forced to stay up till 9 oclock and cant stay up late since its already part of schedule)
    Disadvantages: Can't sleep on it first night, can't post right b4 deadline

Eastern Time Schedule

9 PM|------| 3 AM |------|7AM -> 11 PM|---|3AM|----|7AM ->9PM|
    work 2 hrs-|sleep 8 hrs | work 16 hours | sleep 8 hrs|wrk 14 hrs

Advantages: Can sleep on it, can post right b4 deadline.
    Disadvantages: mixed schedule, most people won't work right away at 9 PM so they will go to bed and lose 2 or 3 hours.

Does that make any sense? Anything i can add?
    Last edited by Beatcow; 03-17-2005 at 08:45 PM.

I'm in too. My wife will be a little bit bored at night but...... who cares!!! . (just kidding, i'm not married)
    This is MC. His _parents sent him to stop() by the super market to buy some _root beer if he wanted to gotoAndPlay() with his friends at the park later.

This is my Blog!... The gaming Process
    Please check out my site: Giddel Creations

Originally posted by Beatcow
    -baukereg

Actually, you did participate in last year's competition

That was over a year ago. I thought there had been a competition just a couple of months ago.

carn...stop dickin around and just do it
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

Originally posted by Baukereg
    That was over a year ago. I thought there had been a competition just a couple of months ago.
    That wasn't a 48 hour flashkit competition and I did not host it either.

Re: 48 Hour Flashkit Competition?

Originally posted by Beatcow

www.geocities.com/beatcow/patternmaker.swf [COPY/PASTE]

D
    It's good and all that... but I think it needs some enemies or powerups or something...

I tell you what, I've not even opened flash for months, but I'm really up for this. I mean it this time too. Just make sure you give the exact time and date well in advance so there's no confusion, in multiple timezones, and ISO 8601 standard damn it!

P.S. Note to everyone else, don't leave that flash movie in another browser tab and leave it for 10 minutes or your computer will be dead when you come back
    jonmack
    flash racer blog - advanced arcade racer development blog