A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: fixed size of bitmap

Hi,

i have two problems, i am developing my home page in flash and i would like it to fit in all monitor sizes. The second problem is that inside this hp, i have some bitmaps(gifs and jpegs) that i can not resize (if it changes it size, the quality becomes horrible).

Any suggestions?

regards

paulo

First of all, change your jpeg's gif's whatever, to a symbol...GRAPHICS... then this will be VECTOR based... as the site shrinks or grows, so will the graphics, without loosing quality. Secondly, about the Monitor size...
    Width = "100%" Height = 100% size = "exactfit"
    .. please note... check in the Tutorial for exact html code

CARP

almost there...

Hi

thanks for your help, this was fast!!
    the pronlem is that even when i change it to a mc, button or grafic it keeps the bad quality. The strange is that when i create a new flash movie with just the bitmap it is ok. the bit map in question is the trade mark of my web site and it must be in perfect conditions.

any other suggestion???

regards

joao

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith
    Just to clear things up, a bitmap does not become a vector based image unless you do a trace bitmap on it. A bitmap is made up of pixels, a vector image is just that a set of mathmatical computations that the computer maps out on the screen. A bitmap remains a bitmap imbeded that scales to fit the screen, hence the raster edges looking bad. To control some of this you can try using the lossless setting for the image in the library, this may or may not work depending on the dpi of the picture. To access the setting fo the the bitmap. Open your library for the project, find the bitmap in the library and right click on the bitmap and when the dialog box appears select properties. Then choose the setting you want. Lossless, or 1-100 for jepg quality. I tend to set the quality very low on small images that have little importance and set the main images as Lossless or high jpegs. If you do not set each image's quality setting Flash has a default of 50 jepg. You can save file size by selecting the quality of the photos. Regards, Bill

one more question

hi,

so it's impossible to lock the size of the bitmap. i have already tried to set the lossless to 100, it improved a little but is not good at all.
    Any other ideas?

regards
    paulo

trace the bitmap or you could try converting the bitmap out side of flash into a png file wich uses lossless compression. it still won't be a vector image but it should look better.

not there yet

hi,

i tried to trace it using the best quality possible but the bitmap is even worst.
    when you say a png file you mean jpeg images? if not couold you let me know how to do that?
    i am desesperated because i really need to insert this trademark im my animatiom.

regards

paulo

resizing MAY help. here's the code to reduce the quality horribleness...but if you resize it severely it's not gonna work.
    in embed put quality=best or in objct-quality=best