A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wario Ware-Style Collaboration?

Wario Ware-Style Collaboration?

I've just had a brilliant idea. Has anybody here played Wario Ware? It's a game where there are 200 EXTREMELY short mini-minigames that get launched at you in rapid succession. Each mini-minigame is about 3 seconds long, and they're all so well thought-out that you instinctively 'know' what to do, and which buttons to press.

Now, I've been thinking. If everyone on FK could make a few 3-second long minigames and we stuck them all together as one big game, then we could make something pretty damn fun. What do you think?
    http://www.birchlabs.co.uk/
    You know you want to.

smile for the camera! jesserules's Avatar
    a dark place where people have trouble in flash
    that would be pretty damn fun.
    My site
    The Current Project is RoboRace.
    Screens Public Beta Coming Soon!

Style Through Simplicity alillm's Avatar
    Ye, cool idea.

Ali

I remember that thread, maybe it could be revived? A few minigames had already been started, why not finish it.

whoah!

I've just come on here, with the sole intention of reviving Minigame Marathon!

I was just spending my lunch break in a cafe, playing Wario Ware:Touched and reading an in-depth interview with The Wario Ware team in this month's Edge, when thoughts drifted back to the old Minigame Marathon, a project I'm still very fond of and still find surprisingly fun.

Although the idea has been done a few times in flash since, I still believe our execution method was the best one and with a community this large there's no reason why we can't have the most varied set of games out there! If the interest is still there I'll whip together a summary of the game guidelines, and from there on in it's just a case of creating the games and throwing the games into the server directory.

We currently have 11-12 games, but I have a few game demos and ideas that I was always intending to throw in there. I'm really busy these days, but if I write these guidelines right, then this game will require no additional work to add games

I was just reading that article in Edge aswell (and also Jamie Kane by Preloaded (sounds very interesting ))

It was cool to see how they planned the Wario Ware games, and also Wario Ware Touched had me hooked recently and the touchscreen is just like the mouse so the games on there could be transaletd to pc.

Anyway, I'm glad this project is gaining some steam again, I just hope it will get finished.

Heh, I remember that thread, altho I think I was primiarly a lurker learning off others questions back in those days. Yeah, I think that could be a fun idea, Im for it.
    Your a toaster and thats all youll ever be!

I've been reading through the forementioned thread and I would like to contribute some minigames. Should we use bitmap graphics or vector? I'll help out as much as I can. Just let me know what to do.

YES!!!!! WOOHOOO!!!! ITS BACK!!!

Ahem... anyways...

I was thinking about this the other day - great minds think alike obviously

http://www.thebornimage.com/1c1p/flashkit/ for anyone who hasn't dug it out... Was that Willoughby Jackson's voice?

or was it an alien...
    "wen i found my gerbil dead my other gerbil was eating it i just cried and screamed"
    http://www.livescripts.net

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by some moderator : Today at 9:01 PM.

Nice, but I would prefer the intermission screens showing a happy/sad icon depending on whether or not you won, like in the Gamecube Wario - it can sometimes be hard to tell if you completed the minigame. Also, to make it more like the real Wario Ware, we need some lights that signal when the next one is going to start. For instance:

O | O | O | O
    O | O | O | O
    O | O | O | O

We still need it to change minigames faster than it already does.

I think we should drop the mouse and keep it keyboard-only.

1.) To draw more upon the player's instincts by giving them less warning.
    2.) So you don't get the awkward problems of accidently clicking out of the window, losing focus, or even changing application by accident.
    3.) Because Flash is horribly slow at reacting to my mouse. My cursor gets a framerate independent of the movie, and I usually have to wait something like 15 frames before it updates the position.
    Last edited by VENGEANCE MX; 03-21-2005 at 03:36 PM.
    http://www.birchlabs.co.uk/
    You know you want to.

cool idea on reanimating the marathon,i always digged the idea (and the result so far) =)
    good ideas there vengeance,besides excluding the mouse controlled games: first i´m against that because it would drop out some of the already made games,secondly i think also allowing mouse controlled games gives more variety and third: sorry if mouse control is so ugly for you but on an average system you normally can use the mouse quite well in flash stuff.
    (just my 2 cents though =) )

I am in. Looks like a cool idea. Any ideas you guys might have I am up to make a few.
    Andrew Webster
    Impressive Click

Patron Saint of Beatings WilloughbyJackson's Avatar
    Wow! I still have like 2 games made for this too.

And yep, I did the voice...

MOUSE CONTROL...

I also agree with Tom, even though I don't like mouse controlled games sometimes, I think it should still remain.

(We should probably repost all the rules and demo files, kdsh7?)

-pXw

Originally posted by WilloughbyJackson
    (We should probably repost all the rules and demo files, kdsh7?)
    Please do! I'd love to contribute.
    // Mazapán, my portfolio

haha, funnily enough i was about to manage the whole organization of something similar (so related to mini games collection) in a near future, providing a pack of .fla sources, maybe libraries, writing the faq with specific infos and such ...etc

i'm still too busy actually to manage all that, but it will hopefully be real soon

This sounds like it could be really good fun. I'd definitely like to contribute.

Should we use the template found here ?

Just made this game real quick. Was inspired by this post. Not too sure how to convert it into the sample file but I provided the .fla if you want to do it. There are no real gfx to it but its just simple fun. The objective is to click the boxes in decending order, or you lose.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by swcAndrew; 03-21-2005 at 04:50 PM.
    Andrew Webster
    Impressive Click

Ok I'm in...