A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wario Ware-Style Collaboration?

Seriously, I _cannot_ use the mouse in Flash, short of an updateAfterEvent() - and that stops the entire game unless you're moving the cursor the whole time. Every mouse game on the internet is _UNPLAYABLE_ for me, and probably likewise for other low-end computers.

Please, spare a thought for the 450 Mhz Mac users! :'(
    http://www.birchlabs.co.uk/
    You know you want to.

VENGENCE: Only a small ammount of users have low end computers like yours and those who do shouldn't even bother trying to play games on it anyway. Its rather pointless. Plus, most of the addiciting games require a mouse.
    Andrew Webster
    Impressive Click

woo! so many replies! I guess the project isn't dead yet

Gaming Monkey: It was a fascinating article wasn't it? Each minigame described on a solitary post-it note. I bow down to Nintendo, they really do make the best games. As for Jamie Kane, I'm really looking forward to wasting time on that while I'm at work :P

Blakfield, Kianis, HappynessSam: Please do, the more the merrier One thing I found when creating the minigames last year was, there's less pressure to get them done. It's not too hard to have a simple concept and execute it in flash, and as a result they're quite fun and educational to do. It gives you the chance to explore concepts you'd thought about but didn't have the energy and time to code into a full game.

Ken: vector or bitmap, it's up to you - provided the final size of the game is under 32kb you can do pretty much what you want The template looks good to me, but with the project being dormant for the past year I'm going to have to reacquaint myself with the structure. I'm going to go through it all and post a compilation of all the guidelines plus some hints and tips for creating a game module tomorrow evening.

Crashlanding, Willoughby did a FANTASTIC job on those voices, I'm still in awe as to how professional they sound even now. When I record my voice I end up sounding like a poor dubbing on a late night mexican soap.

VengeanceMX: I love the idea of making it more obvious as to whether the game was won or lost - I'll build that in! I like Tom would like the mouse games to stay in though. A lot of effort was put into the past games and above all, this project is a community effort- a chance for for the flashkit games community to come together and create a showcase of little fun things we've concocted in our spare time. To this end, I think the focus should be on the games from here on in. I have some cosmetic changes to the loader planned, but it wasn't designed to be ape Wario Ware exactly, it was more to take advantage of the huge pool of talent here and have something fun for us all to do

Tom: Cheers btw, I sent you an email about your game a while back, I'm still up for testing!

Willoughby: It's been a while mate! I haven't been on MSN so much lately, such has been my schedule lately, but can I go through the guileline document with you through email if that's ok? I'm on kevincfy@gmail.com during the day. I don't know how busy I'll be at work tomorrow, but I'll make sure I work at it during my lunch break (I'll have to force myself to stop playing Super Mario 64S - what a game).

swcAndrew: That's brilliant! Love the idea and the execution. Ken's provided the link to the original template, and we'll be posting how to use it tomorrow.

In conclusion to this ballooning post, I've always maintained that as a community we have the potential to have the most varied and eclectic range of games out there. All the other minigame compilations have been made by teams. We're a global community!

Originally posted by VENGEANCE MX
    Seriously, I _cannot_ use the mouse in Flash, short of an updateAfterEvent() - and that stops the entire game unless you're moving the cursor the whole time. Every mouse game on the internet is _UNPLAYABLE_ for me, and probably likewise for other low-end computers.

Please, spare a thought for the 450 Mhz Mac users! :'(
    I feel your pain. My old PC was a real dog, but I have to say I didn't have many problems in using the mouse with flash, and in fact, the old games and Minigame Marathon were created on it. Would it help if we put in a low quality setting for slower computers? It runs in medium quality at the moment. Alternatively, and this might be an idea, we could have keyboard and mouse modes which let players play just mouse games, or just keyboard games - but the main focus of course being the complete mix. I did want to avoid taking the focus off the game creation (because that's what it should be about, really), but if it's a sore point with a lot of people then it could be done.

I read the old thread when it was out, but haven't reread it, I was just wondering is it possible to specify the game as shorter than 5 seconds or whatever they are? like 3 seconds? or 7 seconds?(I know that one is longer )

Edit: The time would be part of the difficulty setting like 4 seconds to do 2 things, 5 for 4 things and 6 for 5 things kinda idea...
    Last edited by UnknownGuy; 03-21-2005 at 07:21 PM.

Ah, the old Wario Ware thread.

I must say after defeating Touched, I also thought about reviving this project.

Anyways, I think if we do this we should adhere to some rules.

Having a mouse only or keyboard only collection, as well as 'crazy mode' where you need to switch between keyboard and mouse.

Having some small changes made to the game template, before the only things passed to the startGame() function was difficulty.. This is quite broad. We need to do it like in Wario Ware, so there are 3 difficulties per game, and also a variable speed of the game, so that the game itself knows how long it has to go (or how long it gets from the start to make gameplay changes). If you play WW, you notice that as the game gets faster the games themselves speed up. Then again, we can always choose to just forget about speed like we did before, and just have the three difficulties.

As for the mouse games.. they NEED to stay in.. Every one of the Wario Ware:Touched games (Except for the microphone ones) use the touchpad, without the mouse, there is no way to get those type of games in, and we have to relate to button mashing or timing games, having games where you must click on things is needed.
    Last edited by iopred; 03-22-2005 at 12:24 AM.

As for games, here is 'popz0r' I changed it a little to make it look a bit cooler, and attached the fla for people to see how to use the template.

It also does a check to see if its being loaded as a minigame, if not it will let you play it ^-^

Yummy work babe, always nice to see one of your little games for this ( I feel quite inspired ).

Squize.

Originally posted by iopred

It also does a check to see if its being loaded as a minigame, if not it will let you play it ^-^
    I love that! Btw, that self running check is genius:

PHP Code:
    if(this == _level0){

startGame(1);

everyone should use it.

the best i could offer is graphics.

Walla, Walla California

whoop! whoop! I want in! me play! me play!

Iopred, your game was fun and challenging, similar to Crazy Balls. Is the template an MX 2004 file? I couldn't open the .fla.

Yessir its 2004, here is the mx...

Can whoever is taking charge of this repost the guidelines please.

Also, will there be an end date for games to be submitted?

Official Shoe Shiner thehumanchimp's Avatar
    omg i was thinking of this a few days ago when I went into a GAME shop and played it on the Nintendo DS they had on display

@happinessSam: As far as i remember from the other thread, although I could be wrong, there was no time limit to get the game in, as such, because they are all loaded externally from an XML list.

yay, i vote we revive it
    Message on a gravestone: I finished before you in the human race.

Using: Flash MX

Official Shoe Shiner thehumanchimp's Avatar
    i think this was the agreed template - It shows movie size, and the code you need to put in the game.

http://www.flashkit.com/board/attach...postid=2749090

[edit]
    Some other useful stuff (copied from the other thread):

§size: 450(wide) x 350(high)
    §size: max 32 kb
    §timer: 450(wide) x 40(high) at bottom of screen
    §time: 5 seconds
    §version: Flash MX
    §FPS: 30
    §gameInfo: this function should be in the first frame of your file:

code:

gameInfo = {creator:"your name",name:"game name", info:"how to play",keyboard:false };

§endGame: this function is called when your game is finished:
    [/edit]
    Last edited by thehumanchimp; 03-22-2005 at 03:44 PM.
    Message on a gravestone: I finished before you in the human race.

Using: Flash MX

Publish as 2004 or mx?

Originally posted by kdsh7
    I feel your pain. My old PC was a real dog, but I have to say I didn't have many problems in using the mouse with flash, and in fact, the old games and Minigame Marathon were created on it. Would it help if we put in a low quality setting for slower computers? It runs in medium quality at the moment. Alternatively, and this might be an idea, we could have keyboard and mouse modes which let players play just mouse games, or just keyboard games - but the main focus of course being the complete mix. I did want to avoid taking the focus off the game creation (because that's what it should be about, really), but if it's a sore point with a lot of people then it could be done.
    Low quality is my only friend when it comes to Flash games. It's never failed to speed things up for me in the past, so if you put it in, I'd be happy to join the team.

Alright. In the GameCube version, the games would have different difficulties. For instance, if you played the minigame after a level-up, the target you have to aim at might be smaller, or there might be an extra enemy or something.

I say we all make three levels of difficulty for each minigame we add. Also, we need to figure out some kind of way to speed up the minigames as your progress. How about we all stick strictly to setIntervals, and _level0.interval would decide the interval between each script being run. I would also recommend having all the minigames as separate swf files - this way we save bandwidth by only loading the ones we're using.

We'll be needing a high-score board. Does anyone here have the means to create a secure one?
    http://www.birchlabs.co.uk/
    You know you want to.

We'll be needing a high-score board. Does anyone here have the means to create a secure one?

What do we to re-make one for? From the looks of it, we already have one.
    Andrew Webster
    Impressive Click

I think each game should have 5 difficulty levels, instead of 3 greatly increasing the amount of playability. The first two would be straightforward, the third quite hard, but the fourth and fifth almost impossible, instant reflexes required. This would egg on those people wishing to get the highest scores possible, in my opinion, and I don't think it would be that hard to add...

Just a though...

Great idea, I have an idea for a minigame, i hope I can implement it...