A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: [Community Project] Minigame Marathon: Redux

Originally posted by crashlanding
    to be honest, i think the games are getting too complicated.

swcAndrew's one has a really long title, which needs to be shortened. I failed that one because I could read the title.

In the actual Wario Ware game, you instinctivly know what to do. I'm not just having a go at swcAndrew, but all the new games need to be more simple. And easier
    I agree with crashlanding. The games in Wario Ware are very short and snappy, some games only require one click/press of a button. Some games here are quite difficult to complete in under 5 seconds. But then again, that's what kept me playing.

Also, the thing I like about Wario Ware is you get a reaction straight away, if you complete a game then something happens. In some games here I'm not sure wether it's completed or not until the voice appears. But there's no visual indication that you've won. A good example is the ninja game, when you kill them all it goes to a screen saying grade A ninja. If the player beats a game, let them know it, and praise them for it.

Just my opinion so far, keep up the good work everyone.

Originally posted by VENGEANCE MX
    Change the color of either Indy or the background - I can't really see him.
    Yeah no problem, the grafics are temporary. Since my drawing skills are not so good I need some more time to draw Indy and may be enhance the map grafics a little bit too.

My real concern though is:

A) Are the controls too complicated? It uses left right arrow to walk and up to climb down to dodge arrows and space to swing with the wip.

B) Is the map too big to rush through in 5 seconds? Or can you do it after some practice? The demo file is running at difficulty 2, the hardest. At 0 or 1 there would be less arrows.

C) Should the traps vary on each time you play it? I can easily load them at different places.

The game is speeded up a little bit and its possible to use the wip faster.

So please test it.

Indy Jump

greets
    I do stuff that does stuff...

J-Force

Official Shoe Shiner thehumanchimp's Avatar
    Right, well seeing as i didnt have much inspiraton on a game to make - i decided to have a go at a simple Game Validator to help people make sure their game will work properly with the holder before putting it up for submission.

Have a look, test it out: http://www.chimpbot.atbcp.net/gameupload/

It will let you know if it has any trouble doing any of the functions which the holder may do, and tell you generally how to fix it.

May help someone, may not, either way it kept me occupied for some time so i didn't get bored

On a seperate note, i reckon there should be some background music. Not many games would be able to add a sound loop within the game with the 32kb limit, so I reckon the holder should have some music. What do you think?

Nice games everyone!
    Last edited by thehumanchimp; 03-24-2005 at 05:56 PM.
    Message on a gravestone: I finished before you in the human race.

Using: Flash MX

@Leechmaster: I like your game, but I found it very hard, even after practising it a few times. I think just having one platform, with random traps, and getting from one end to the other would be hard enough.

NIC, YOU MY FRIEND ARE A GENIUS! That is utterly and brilliantly, without question, FANTASTIC in every sense, ever, of the word. A great idea excellently executed. I'm sure it'll be a big help to a lot of people.

As for music, it's always been part of the plan to have a selection of ditties, about 5 seconds long, that play randomly for each game. If anyone wants to contribute some tracks feel free

Strille, all valid points although I have to say I've never encountered those bugs. I'll inspect those 2 games more closely.

Ken, if you can email me the file to kevincfy "at" gmail.com - or you can upload the game like you did last time and I can grab it from there.

Gaming Monkey, you've just explained something I believe to be quite important in game design. It's not essential in every game but it does make the player feel good.

Leechmaster and Jesse, I just got back and I'm going to check out your games now and upload them tomorrow. The endgame function will call itself after 5 seconds.

Leechmaster, I did try the earlier version of your game at work this afternoon, and I did think the levels were a bit long to navigate AND have all sorts of deadly obstacles too. It could just be a simple corridoor maybe with the obstacles being the challenge? 5 seconds does go by very quickly!

Andross, I'd already changed your game to Flash MX - it wouldn't load otherwise Have you done any other changes? If so I'll download your one and use the latest file.

Phobik, after playing your game again I've realized that without the penalty it's very easy to cheat by just pressing all the arrow keys! I guess the player may have to be penalized in some way, but very minimally and with provision for the player to not be penalized for still having the key pressed down when the indicator changes.

wow, thanks

Glad to be of service

p.s. I think you may need to update your signature...it doesnt seem to work...

@ thehumanchimp

Hey, thats a great app you made! I just tested it and it worked perfectly and was really great to test my game with it. Thanks a lot!

As soon as I get the grafics for Indy done it will be updated and easier to play. But thanks for testing it. And yes it was ways to hard and big too play.

greets

J-Force

smile for the camera! jesserules's Avatar
    a dark place where people have trouble in flash
    it keeps saying i didn't define gameInfo
    My site
    The Current Project is RoboRace.
    Screens Public Beta Coming Soon!

Yes Kdsh7, could you please upload the new one. I made it a little easier. By the way, what framerate do you use for the main movie?
    Attached Files Attached Files

ok, thanx kdsh7, let's put this code then instead of the one that was before, the only change is the "count>2" (time to wait after the key is pressed) and the "vel = -5" parts but i would like you to change it to fit better if it's still not right please :
    Code:
        c = 0;
        while (c<4) {
            if (Key.isDown(keyArray[c]) and keyArray[c] != keyToPress and count>2) {
                count = 0;
                vel = -5;
            }
            c++;
        }
    some games only require one click/press of a button
    I know who are you referring to ( ). Due to this i decided to make some little changes to the click me game, basically making the new position for the button to reach not to be less than some numbers (in this case 100 for the _x axis and 90 for the _y axis) and also making the game to change the button position a little bit shorter, and the speed of the button movement is increased a little too. But again (and sorry to bother you kdsh7) i would like you to change this settings to fit better. Thanx again .
    This is MC. His _parents sent him to stop() by the super market to buy some _root beer if he wanted to gotoAndPlay() with his friends at the park later.

This is my Blog!... The gaming Process
    Please check out my site: Giddel Creations

Okay, I think this should do it.
    It should be possible to finish it in 5 seconds now (at least for me it is).
    The Indy graphics are done and also some sounds were added.

Its testing time again . Altough I hope this is the final version.

Indy Jump

greets
    Last edited by LeechmasterB; 03-26-2005 at 12:53 PM.

J-Force

Well done LeechmasterB, i liked your game, good graphics and game playing.
    This is MC. His _parents sent him to stop() by the super market to buy some _root beer if he wanted to gotoAndPlay() with his friends at the park later.

I have yet another minigame. You have to connect the dots. This time its in Flash MX format Kdsh7

http://www.geocities.com/andross_88/...nnectDots.html
    Attached Files Attached Files

great game idea andross!

hmm, jesserules, can you send me the .fla to have a look at it (humanchimp@gmail.com), so i can try and work out why gameInfo is not being recognised (or alternatively upload it here)- thanks.

hey guys, id like to submit my number game in for this but im having problems changing some of my code to fit your standards, basically i have a variable called value in the root and when you click a number it checks if its value is one above the root, how would i change this so that it would work with your idea?

heres the link:[ulr]http://img172.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img172&image=number8hg.swf[/url]

included the fla.

cheers.

ps. should i shorten the amount of balls so that it conforms to your short game rule, at the moment it takes like 100 secs to complete.
    If our body is a clock ticking away and if while we experience all that this world has to offer time has still continued to pass, are we living or just experiencing a slow death?

Style Through Simplicity alillm's Avatar
    Cant you just put the variable on a movieclip instead?

Ali

i thought that, but to access the variable from a movieclip dont you have to say, _root.movieclip.value=1 etc... or can i do it some other way?
    If our body is a clock ticking away and if while we experience all that this world has to offer time has still continued to pass, are we living or just experiencing a slow death?

use: this.value=1

andross, that connecting the dots game is strangely addictive

wont this.value just access the movie clip im clicking on and get its own value?