A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: American Office

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalOne
    Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I was curious to hear some opinions on the show more than two years later.

I was late to the party, but have since seen every episode, and I can say this is probably my second favorite show of all-time, just behind Seinfeld.

Any other fans?
    why didnt you listen to me when i was posting how good the show is a long time ago?!

better than Seinfeld, imo.
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

i love this show. i really dig angela, stanley, ryan, and that new sales guy andy from the other office. the show has definitely gotten better with a little character development. the first season was over the top, then they reeled it in and started using the rest of the cast more. it's still just tv though.

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

ahhh I just can't hack it mainly because I saw the english one first.

No doubt they do a good job, but it just seems too much like an imitation of the British one.

I prefer the UK version.

There's nothing like David Brent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pknvdBlOels

The end, when he plays the Tina Turner song, cracks me up every time.

There is British humour (subtle, ironic, self-depreciating), and there is American humour (in your face, critical, LOUD), and never the twain will (or should) meet.
    (With Oz humour a pale mix of both... )

I too don't know why they have to remake British comedy rather than do their own thing. US style humour works well when done well.
    Michezo Youth Initiative - donate | Into Kenya | Naked Chronicles | Mark Bingham - my friend, America's hero

To help new members fit into Flashkit, three rules they forgot to tell you on signup: Rule #1: Learn Group Think, and behave accordingly | Rule #2: Do as certain Mods say, not as they do. | Rule #3: If you're from outside the US, don't at any time criticise, allude or hyperlink to criticism of the US or any of their laws, policies or practices. | Enjoy your time at Flashkit!

that uk season was great...david brent rocks.

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

So... Davo... you've seen this version of "The Office"?

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Yep, downloaded an episode a while back. I also seem to recall it being shown on Oz tv, but lasted about 3 episodes until it got shafted to late night graveyard shift.
    (IF my memory serves me well, which ain't always the case)

Seinfeld's one of my fav shows of all time, which is what makes the US version of The Office even more painful for me to watch. Just an opinion.
    Michezo Youth Initiative - donate | Into Kenya | Naked Chronicles | Mark Bingham - my friend, America's hero

To help new members fit into Flashkit, three rules they forgot to tell you on signup: Rule #1: Learn Group Think, and behave accordingly | Rule #2: Do as certain Mods say, not as they do. | Rule #3: If you're from outside the US, don't at any time criticise, allude or hyperlink to criticism of the US or any of their laws, policies or practices. | Enjoy your time at Flashkit!

Observational humour - that's something I forgot to add which US comedy does very well at times. Seinfeld was obviously a good example of that, and there was also a black stand up comic I actually discovered from a recent conversation on FK and watched on YouTube, can't recall his name...

US comedy style is more "obvious" and in your face than the more subtle British humour, hence when they focus on a form that encourages that - such as observational humour - it's when it works best.

IMHO.
    Last edited by TheOriginalFlashDavo; 06-13-2007 at 02:33 AM.

You've done better than I have. Only seen like... maybe 10 minutes of the American version.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

I don't like spending time downloading something and then not watching it. Has meant I've watched some awful stuff!

And at least US humour has it over Oz humour. The only show even worth mentioning in recent memory is "Kath & Kim", and even that was worth watching for one series or even less and you got all the gags there was ever going to be. Definitely worth catching at least one show for a groan if nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOriginalFlashDavo
    [/small]

I too don't know why they have to remake British comedy rather than do their own thing. US style humour works well when done well.

Money - and a proven formula.
    France and Germany also have their own versions of the Office btw.

US does do it's own thing for the most part. But the US often remakes British shows (while the UK imports US shows) because Americans are less acquainted with British accents, media and culture than vice versa.

Though many people assume it's either because Americans are not intelligent enough to "get" British humor, or that they are too self-involved to care about shows from other countries - and that may be the case for some, but the greater truth is that it's all just based on what networks think will drive ratings -------> advertisements -------> money.

Out of the many thousands of US shows that are produced, when you throw in a BBC made show in the mix, it's like a small fish in a big tank of sharks - not likely to survive.

Quote Originally Posted by Visionray
    France and Germany also have their own versions of the Office btw.
    Oh let's not get started on French and German humour!

And the French dub all their English language movies, so they're the last reference point for anything cross-cultural!

Quote Originally Posted by Visionray
    I prefer the UK version.

There's nothing like David Brent.
    I agree! David Brent and Gareth Keenan are hilarious!

There are also a difference between British and American humor. Both countries have produced some great shows. And the way I see it from Norway, the majority of people like American humor very well (or maybe it's just that there are more American shows on tv), while the British humor is very well liked by some, while some people hate it. (I feel it's sometimes harder to understand, and sometimes a bit more "intelligent").
    Last edited by MagnusVS; 06-13-2007 at 12:41 PM.

The American version tried too hard the first season to be like the British one. Once it found its own voice though, 2nd season forward, it was great. They're different enough now that you can't compare them or the characters directly with each other. I will say Dwight cracks my sh*t up. It just sucks that the network is going to make them over-dramatize the Pam/Jim angle.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

I've watched all of the US version, and only a little of the UK version, but Steve Carrell just makes that show. I love the awkwardness. Watch some of the episodes with Angela and Dwight and the way their relationship works. Pure gold.

Also, I like the way that the US show is filmed versus the UK version.

yeah, carrell is to talented and good at the role. nordgal literally has to walk out of the room during some really uncomfortable scenes.

Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

haha.. its fun like that.